Public
11 years 2 months ago #94398 by
Replied by on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound
Thank you Gisteron, I needed the laugh! :woohoo:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #94399 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound
How would I've answered if I lived 4000 years ago?...

Sunlight particles? Sound waves? OMFG you must be in some evil bond with Apophis! Heresy! Heresy! Its all magical and you know it! Did your slave mentor not teach you all that infallible wisdom?!

Enjoy! :D:D

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #94400 by
You'd have answered on your iStone.

More
11 years 2 months ago #94401 by Wescli Wardest
I am not refering to any one in particular, but let's make sure we all play nice. ;)

Monastic Order of Knights

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #94432 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound
I'm doing a course in 'sound' at the moment and they define sound as the experience of hearing pressure waves in the air, and not the actual pressure waves. Needless to say I got that exam answer wrong... they should have said noise is the phenomena and sound the experience or something because in society we use sound to mean err, sound/noise/pressure. So then I'd have to assume 'sound waves' to mean experiencing sound in patterns resembling waves.

Akkarin wrote: The size of a particle of 'sun light' would be between 400 - 700 nanometers. That is the range of the visible spectrum of light. But the sun gives out many variants of that, such as UV as an example. But that is not 'sun light' essentially, because we cannot see it with our eyes

How big is an iceberg - what you can see above water or what your ship smashes into unseen under the surface. Dont forget either that sunlight burns your skin and that is mostly in the UV range.

I understand though you dont get much sun in the UK :P

Gisteron wrote:

Adder wrote: This graph shows some info on 'how big' sunlight is;

Solar Radiation Spectrum

That, too, doesn't illustrate the magnitude of sunlight but only how many of what wavelength EM waves are being emitted by the sun.

Doesnt it? I thought the Y axis showed the magnitute, versus the X axis showing the wavelength. I knew it wasnt answering the question though and its why I said "This graph shows some info".

The original question is in a form which is not in line with scientific understanding about the nature of light, so people posting different parts of the puzzle might in part help answer whatever is being asked by the question. I think its better to try and answer and miss the mark slightly then not answer at all.... or worse pick on people trying to answer (no-one in particular, just thinking out loud).

I dont see the philosophical question on how big is a 'particle' of sunlight. Can you rephrase?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Adder. Reason: moved a sentence

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #94455 by
Keep thinking.

Try using images and not words.

Use terms of wonder and not science.

More
11 years 2 months ago #94460 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound
OK, my answer is between 10 and 14 hours;

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
11 years 2 months ago #94473 by Whyte Horse
Replied by Whyte Horse on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound
oh you want philosophy... well quantum mechanics states that light is both a wave and particle whose position and energy cannot be known simultaneously. The size of a photon is a probability distribution across both space and time.

Furthermore, guage theory says that a photon is the Abelian U(1) symmetry of a complex number, which reflects the ability to vary the phase of a complex number without affecting observables or real valued functions made from it, such as the energy or the Lagrangian.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #94489 by

Rickie The Grey wrote: Use terms of wonder and not science.

In fairness the words behind the explanation are both ;)

More
11 years 2 months ago #94497 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Re: Sunlight and Sound

Adder wrote:

Gisteron wrote:

Adder wrote: This graph shows some info on 'how big' sunlight is;

Solar Radiation Spectrum

That, too, doesn't illustrate the magnitude of sunlight but only how many of what wavelength EM waves are being emitted by the sun.

Doesnt it? I thought the Y axis showed the magnitute, versus the X axis showing the wavelength. I knew it wasnt answering the question though and its why I said "This graph shows some info".

Yes, true. Shouldn't have phrased my critique like that; I apologize. I just meant that the question about the actual dimensions of sunlight particles isn't being answered (I'm not even sure it is known). The diagram displays the amount of energy transfered on different EM frequencies and not the size of any of them. So yes, the light 'magnitude' or - to phrase it correctly - the light 'flux' (not sure it is even the same as 'intensity', as I'd think tha the intensity is the wave amplitude; but then again - there is somewhere around no relevance at all that wave amplitude has to the physical interaction of light to other things) is in fact displayed. The 'size' of the particular waves or particles (depending on the understanding of light that is being applied) is not..

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi