My thoughts on the force

More
8 years 5 months ago #206401 by Yugen
The way i see the force, is that it has a will
And according to me, nothing is "random"
It is the will of the force, and there is no luck
For example; if you win a million dollars, it is the will of the force.
And if you learn something that might change your entire life, it is also the will of the force
But there can be 'bad' things that also is the will of the force, for example;
You get in a fight, and you loose (conflict should be avioded at all costs) it is the will of the force
Just as the mystery of easter island the force is shrouded in mystery, and it is truly one of life's biggest mysteries

One thing you should realise is that you shape your own future, but the force can both help and put up obsactles on the way, you may learn from them, and they may bring you down to the bottom of the hole..
Such is the force, mysterious.

Hope you enjoyed it
And do post your thoughts aswell

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #206423 by
Replied by on topic My thoughts on the force
I really enjoyed reading this; thank you for posting it.

I tend to agree on all points. It is my experience that if one can learn how to 'hear' the Force, and then *listen* to what one 'heard', amazing things can happen.

More
8 years 5 months ago #206427 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic My thoughts on the force
So if everything is the will of the Force the way you describe, no prescriptions can be made one way or another, because the world would be strictly calvinistic and me saying this right now would likewise be but the will of the Force. But it gets better than that:

"... And when everyone is super, no one will be." - Syndrome, The Incredibles

If everything is the will of the Force, there is no way of identifying it as such, since nothing bears this particular property everything else doesn't have. Therefore the notion becomes redundant and the labeling confusing. Essentially, what you are saying is that "every thing is a thing".
Need I go on a tangent about the inherent problems with picturing universal sets, too?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #206460 by
I did enjoy it. Thank you for sharing it with everyone.

My view of the Force is that it's simply nature itself; it doesn't have a will. It just...does things.

The Force is an exploding star that's light hasn't reached earth yet.
The Force is the chemical make-up of the rock you see lying there on the sidewalk.
The Force is the great trees that rise hundreds of feet into the air.
The Force is you.

And because no one knows for sure, I could be completely wrong and you're right on your views of the Force!

My belief about the Force seems to make sense to me on my path now. If I hear a new definition of it that seems to resonate with me, I would definitely consider it at the time.

Curious what other views are...
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #206532 by
The Force and the Jedi are one. It's will is our will and vice versa.
Nothing is random, and yet everything is. Everything is destined, yet we have free will.
The will of the Force is the same as luck. They are One.
Win or lose, learn or unlearn, everything is change.

You're right, the Force is a mystery. And I love a good mystery ;)

More
8 years 5 months ago #206596 by J. K. Barger
@ Gisteron

I'd love to hear about the dangers of picturing universal sets. Could you explain more? Are universal sets like a "theory of correspondence", like 'as above, so below'?

The Force is with you, always.

More
8 years 5 months ago #206610 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic My thoughts on the force
There is nothing dangerous about them, you just run into paradoxes, that's all.

You see, for any set A and any function p that happens to map elements x of set A to the set of boolean values true or false, there exists a subset B of A that only contains the elements x for which p(x) is true.

Now, let U be the universal set, i.e. a set that contains all things and that is also an actual set, then the axiom above would apply to it.
So we could pick some arbitrary function that maps a truth value onto the properties of its elements and it should work, right? Let then pU(x) be true if and only if x is itself a set, yet does not contain itself. There exists therefore a set of all the sets that are not elements of themselves.
If however that set x is its own element, it follows that it is not its own element. Conversely, if it is not its own element, it follows that it is. A contradiction.
In fact, this is, in a nutshell, Russel's Paradox .

Of course the problem with ascribing an attribute to all things is not the same as proposing a universal set. It just makes the attribute, or rather the label for it, essentially useless, linguistically. And indeed, additionally, if one is willing to suggest such an attribute of all things, that attribute itself could be used as to identify a set, namely, the set of all things with that attribute; therefore a set of all things. Hence, more problems than just linguistic ones arise.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #206623 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic My thoughts on the force
It seems to state a distinct self and Force, but then go onto postulate a different nature of causality?

A type of 'indirect causality' might mean the direct effect is determined only in part by the causation of the person because now the effect is also determined in part by the will of the Force.

I guess the mystery described might be some measure of resonance to the nature of the Force, but I guess this also depends on the granularity available to understand the process of mind and relationship to Force!?

For me personally it runs the risk of some form of personification or anthropomorphism to the Force as its nature, such as is possible, and prevalent historically, with the concepts of human identities to gods and goddesses etc - instead perhaps of its normalizing interface with each individual (assuming some shared super-nature to normalize to, perhaps our Force body! haha). I prefer the later as it seems to allow me to exercise a broader experiential spirituality.

It seems historically and continues to be rather easy to use the 'will' of the supernatural, like a god, to justify any human action if you can then assert that that the god has those human traits - ie, easy to abuse if you bring the god down to the level of humans.... almost like quite literally the fall of that god for if it is not 'on high' then perhaps its no longer a god! LOL, maybe that is working definition of an angel - the view of a god/goddess above from a vantage point which could then define various manifestations of supernatural as measure of ones nature against a vertical scale of compassion as a positive value and evil as a negative value.
:silly: :blink:

Not meaning to say it has to be vulnerable to this abuse... just why I prefer seeing the Force, and the concept of it's 'will' differently to the OP. I try to look for its nature rather then seeing it in the context of myself or my kind, though I do exercise that too because it is what would be most familiar and easiest for my mind to work with - since so much of my brain is wired to work with my own body. In Tibetan Buddhism the Guru Yoga or Deity Yoga tries to recruit the powers of a stable meditative focus with the powers of visualization to develop an enriched spiritual insight in these terms and I like to think it's where best the iconography of deities fits into spiritual paths, personally.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Adder.

More
8 years 5 months ago #207123 by Yugen
Replied by Yugen on topic My thoughts on the force
The way i formulated my post may have confused
The force itself is a great mystery, and what truly is it's will and what is not is yet to be discovered.

What i belive is that everything is the will of the force, and as i said we forge our own future, with influence of the force
Wich i meant also that the force influences us, but we can always change the future, the will of the force is not written in stone. It is always changing, just as with the world.

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal

More
8 years 5 months ago #207124 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic My thoughts on the force
Some say the Force does not have a will, because the Force is not something they personify, as having a will is a personified trait that we conceive of ourselves as how we as humans work. In this view it falls under the same view as whether somebody personifies the concept of god as a bearded man in the clouds in a way.

At one point I resonated with abandoning any perception of the Force having a will... but then I realized something...

Am I not the Force, being a manifestation of it? And do I have a will? Then is not my will A will of the Force? And your will? Our will? Perhaps all one will, and one that we should feel right to take accountability for if we are a facet of the Force...

But then, what is "will"? Is it really a thing? Is it simply an aspect of our ego which may be merely an illusion created out of the result of our own awareness of ourselves in relation to others?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Ben, J. K. Barger, Archon, Yugen

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi