Exponential growth of the number of laws since 2500 years

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197209 by

Senan wrote:

CryojenX wrote: ending a life for punitive reasons, to serve as an example to others, or simply out of revenge. The death penalty falls under one of the latter three every time. I see what you're trying to do though - it takes much more than that to ruffle my feathers. ;)

False. Not every time. What about for the protection of others?

Maximum security prisons are made for those who are the worst kind of offenders, anyone harmful enough that one would honestly contemplate the death sentence. With such an option available, to choose the death penalty and say that it doesn't fall under those reasons seems disingenuous.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197212 by
I agree with you CryogenX law is a "tool".

Is it a good or a not so good tool for making a "justice system" ? :dry:

The Maori people seems to have a justice system with punishments but without a strict application of written laws... This question is exactly about the adequacy between a "tool" and a "need" (justice), like for a hammer or a screwdriver for a nail...

As a jediist, I feel like there is no need for a complex system of written laws, like Athena suggested it. :)
And for the moment, I'm wondering if a few laws is necessary or not and about what could happen if there is no law at all in a large group of Humans...

I'm an optimistic weirdy may be... But I presume it could be an interesting way for Humans for fixing a lot of things in our bureaucratic societies, an unpopular and unusual way of life also...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #197226 by
Senan,

I don't agree with you. :P

First, the population growth and the laws growth are not linked in the same way of the commercial and industrial products growth (that you put in a garbage after use :) ). And, as you suggested it, I agree the laws growth doesn't seem to be linked with a higher quality of life... ;)

Second, if a lot of laws have become obsolete in the way you well explained it, I think, as an image in my first post suggested it, the most of the laws are sometimes used, sometimes not, as "case laws"...

Reminder of the picture :

Attachment h9bc20cd_2015-07-08.jpg not found

Third, my purpose about the "growth of laws" concerns the "written laws", and the "written laws justice system". If I talked about the "Maori justice system", it's because it could be an alternative, may be.

About the hypothesis that the "Maori justice system" can't be used in our modern society...

I presume the Maori system doesn't work only "because the entire tribe can get together for a council and tell the life's story of each individual involved in the situation being investigated" :silly: , because I presume a tribe where to many people to be inside the same house at the same time (as Americans in the 50's)...

I presume there was only a few people present at a trial : injured party (directly concerned people and their relatives), criminal party (directly concerned people and their relatives) and a very few peoples as a kind of "neutral & wise" party...

I suggest you should may be see "12 angry men", a very good movie, about the "written laws justice system" in America, and about the thema of how the representation system of a Nation (in fact a Jury) could work well, or not so much... : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1vrOMelJhU :whistle:

As the Jury system, the Maori justice system have three parties. But they aren't functionning the same manner :

- in the Maori system, criminal & injured parties are directly opposed in a negociation and are dialectically searching how criminal party could make a compensation for stopping vendetta (revenge)...

- in the America's 50's system people are not searching dialectically for any compensation... They are searching if the criminal party is guilty or not, that's all. The punishment is previously encoded and there isn't so much direct discussions between criminal and injured parties, the dialogue is... Inside the Jury !!! Which could seem very weird for peoples from an other country (Planet ? :huh: )...
Attachments:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #197230 by
ren...

It's not "my" 10 commandments... :lol:

I understood you know very well the subject of Sumerian people.
So, do you know how many relics remain ? And their global weight ? And the portion of the remains compared to the vanished Sumerian stuffs ?
Because, I presume that the global weight of all the Sumerian laws in the past centuries (although it's stone or argile relics) is a very few portion of the global weight of the paper on the shelves of the library in picture there :

Attachment h9bc20cd_2015-07-08-2.jpg not found

;)

I agree "We have more people, more things,", but are you sure we have trully "more problems, more solutions," and if so, that there is any connection between our "solutions" and our "rules and regulations" ? And I agree there is anyway "more rules and regulations"...

And I also agree "The format has not changed: there are central inalienable values, and some sort of system that carries out justice and sets precedents is to what is allowed and what is not allowed".

But I don't agree about 'its size is comparatively the same as it was 3000 years ago when adjusted for human growth", because I don't think "human growth" is directly and geometrically connected with written laws growth.

Could you explain how it's connected for you please (may be in a mathematical way, with the two parameters and their growths as parallels) ?

Hopefully, we don't make babies the same way we make laws ! (it looks like an hippy riddim ! :laugh: )
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by . Reason: precision

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi