Protect the young lord from arrogance

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #160271 by

Before Lord Tsunashige assumed power he studied Buddhism from a priest named Choon. Since he was an apt student and gained much understanding, the priest wanted to convey upon him a diploma of advanced learning. As word of this spread it became a source of gossip throughout the fief.

When Yamamoto Gorozaemon, the young Lord's chief guidance counselor, heard of it he went straightway to the priest, determined to either convince him to change his mind or to cut him down. When he arrived, the priest took him for a worshiper and greeted him in a ceremonial manner. Gorozaemon approached him and said, "I have a private matter to discuss with you. Please clear the room." After everyone else was gone he continued, "I have heard a rumor that you plan to confer a diploma on Lord Tsunashige. I know that you were born in our province and you know the traditions of our fief. Our fief is unique to all others that our lord and his warriors work together in harmony, and it has been so for many generations. There has never been such a diploma conferred on the ruling head of the Nabeshima family. I believe that if this diploma is issued it will cause the young lord to have an inflated opinion of himself and cause him to discount the collected wisdom of his advisors. This will cause unnecessary contention. Men in power already have a tendency to become arrogant, so I ask you to reconsider this course of action. If you refuse to be dissuaded, I am here to kill you."

The priest turned ghostly white when he heard these words, but soon regained his composure and said, "Very good. Your heart is in the right place, and I understand the position you have taken concerning the fief. You are a very loyal warrior-"

Gorozaemon interrupted him, "I know your tricks and I did not come here for flattery. Tell me now, will you turn from this path or not?"

Chooma said, "What you have said makes sense. I will not now, nor will I ever award the diploma."

Gorozaemon pressed him further to reassure himself then he left. Gorozaemon himself told this story to Yamamoto Tsunetomo.

--The Hagakure

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #160273 by
Great post, also posted in the right time :P
Thank you

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #160645 by
Right time? How so?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 4 months ago #168286 by
Returning to our two heads: Lord Russell never carried this joke, or this profound insight, beyond that point. With a little thought, however, the reader will easily see that, having analyzed the matter this far, we now have three heads — the third containing the model that contains the "real" universe and the "real" head and the perceived universe and the perceived head. And now that we have thought of that, we have a fourth head...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi