Philosophy of Diplomacy

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #150715 by
Philosophy of Diplomacy was created by
I have been reading AC Grayling's The Good Book: A Humanist Bible , which is basically written in the style of the Bible or Quran but it's entirely secular and philosophical.

Many of the books are similar to the Bible books (Genesis, Epistles, Proverbs, Wisdom, etc.) but others are different. Most are loose collections of maxims, others are more coherent.

One of the most coherent and distinct books in the Humanist Bible is LAWGIVER.

Lawgiver is basically a complete introductory course in leadership skills, which contains a complete wisdom tradition related to diplomacy, leadership, statesmanship. It covers the need to choose assistants and delegate tasks wisely, many interesting philosophical and ethical considerations related to politics and the public life, and generally a LOT of advise drawn from history and from philosophy on how to be a good leader. Anyone wanting to nurture a wisdom tradition that helps his leadership skills, should read and ponder the teachings of Lawgiver within the Humanist Bible.

For instance, Lawmaker reveals that Alexander the Great, in his young years, received advise on making powerful friends as long as someone else was king and on rising in power and influence through good-willed mentors and protégés.

There are many instances where the book teaches about the importance of diplomacy and tact. Because this is such an important matter in Jedi tradition, I thought I'd share the source. I think the book Lawgiver made the purchase of the Humanist Bible worth it for me.

The book covers conflict solving strategies, the importance of giving testimony even in favor of an enemy if it's a just cause; and of how we should employ frank speech in stating blame but only to bring repentence, without insult: abusive speakers get their mouths shut.

I don't have time to go into all the practical advise in the book but if anyone reads it, feel free to weigh in.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #150774 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Philosophy of Diplomacy
Thanks for the suggestion Blue Star. Out of curiosity I've reserved the book at my local library (look at me being old school :P) so I'll have a read when I get it.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi