Philosophical Health Check

More
9 years 10 months ago #148182 by Br. John
Philosophical Health Check

The PHC will only take about 5 minutes of your time. We're going to present you with 30 statements. All you've got to do is to indicate whether you agree or disagree with each statement. If you're not sure, then select the response that is closest to your opinion (and then take this into account at the analysis stage).

You should note that the PHC does not judge whether your responses are right or wrong. The important thing is simply to respond as honestly as possible. Each statement is carefully worded, so you need to pay at least a little bit of attention!

Take the test here:

http://www.philosophyexperiments.com/health/Default.aspx

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion, Llama Su

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #148183 by Rosalyn J
I had four tensions in my test, which is about average. It certainly brought some things to light for me.

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148184 by
Replied by on topic Philosophical Health Check
so this is to evaluate some of your views that might be contradictory?

I have two.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #148185 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Philosophical Health Check
47%!!!

I had 7 tensions, but I can reconcile each one ad nauseam :laugh:

What is a worry is that there was only 30 questions and my tensions involved 14 of them :side:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Adder.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
9 years 10 months ago #148187 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Philosophical Health Check
Interesting.

My tensions were about art being a case of personal taste, and saying that Michelangelo is undoubtedly one of the great artists.
but in my opinion the statement is true, so I don't really see it as being conflicting.

My other one was about the environment not being damaged unnecessarily, but not being willing to force people to not drive cars. Tricky. Id like to protect the environment, but who am I to take away freedom of choice...

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148188 by
I didn't have any tensions! :ohmy:

:dry:

:lol: Yay me?

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #148189 by Alexandre Orion
I got 2 also ...

Then I felt a little better in reading the results. These were N°s 5 and 29 - I said that yes, financial considerations were irrelevant but then no, governments should not raise taxes sharply. This was based on the reasoning that there are some obscenely wealthy people from whom much of that 'life saving' finance could be appropriated -- not necessarily average-income tax-payers. 'Financial considerations' are not systematically 'taxation'. Neither is it only in developing nations where lives need to be saved.

Should a needed, yet exorbitantly expensive medical procedure with nearly certain success and with a high probability of restoring someone to a healthy life be withheld just because only the wealthier class can afford it ?

It may be a tension, but it is a tense question. If anyone would be making a real decision herewith involving real lives, I would certainly hope that they would have some tension ! (yes -- I know that the tension here isn't the same -- just making a pun ...) Thus, I stand resolutely by my judgement on this.

According to the test, 28% of people have this tension ...

The second tension was between N°s 16 and 21, about the permissibility of un- or under- tested medical treatments whilst approving of the value of alternative and complementary medicine. It says 39% show this tension as well ...

We cannot allow any and all products to be put out into the goods and services market as health treatments ; some - much even - testing is required (no one is still old enough to remember radium-laced health tonics of the early 20th ; certainly no one who actually drank them !). On the other hand, governments fall under lobbies - not the smallest nor least influential of which is the pharmaceutical lobby. If a product or treatment is proven over and over to be effective in clinical testing, with all of the risk factors within acceptable tolerances, it should not be kept off the market during an interminable 'further testing required' period during which the pharmaceutical industry continues to profit from their already marketed products ...

There is also reason to believe that many traditional medicine (labelled 'alternative' and 'complementary') actually do help, if only psychosomatically. If something turns out to be an unhealthy combination - then stop it.

I'll stand by my judgement on this one too.

:)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Alexandre Orion.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 10 months ago #148190 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Philosophical Health Check
Got two tensions. (13%)

The Philosophical Health Test has identified the following tension(s) in your beliefs:

Statements 1 and 27: Is morality relative?

48% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.

You agreed that:
There are no objective moral standards; moral judgements are merely an expression of the values of particular cultures
And also that:
Acts of genocide stand as a testament to man's ability to do great evil

The tension between these two beliefs is that, on the one hand, you are saying that morality is just a matter of culture and convention, but on the other, you are prepared to condemn acts of genocide as 'evil'. But what does it mean to say 'genocide is evil'? To reconcile the tension, you could say that all you mean is that to say 'genocide is evil' is to express the values of your particular culture. It does not mean that genocide is evil for all cultures and for all times. However, are you really happy to say, for example, that the massacre of the Tutsi people in 1994 by the Hutu dominated Rwandan Army was evil from the point of view of your culture but not evil from the point of view of the Rwandan Army, and what is more, that there is no sense in which one moral judgement is superior to the other? If moral judgements really are 'merely the expression of the values of a particular culture', then how are the values which reject genocide and torture at all superior to those which don ot?

yeah, I actually see no tension there. To answer the question, I would say that genocide and torture are an inferior mean to an end, because that's my opinion and not how I would go about it (reaching that "end"). I prefer sophisticated plans to bloodbaths, special ops over full scale invasions.... It's a matter of taste really, and I can't really explain mine other than "that's what my experiences tell me is best".

Statements 17 and 28: Are there any absolute truths?

37% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.

You agreed that:
There are no objective truths about matters of fact; 'truth' is always relative to particular cultures and individuals
And also that:
The holocaust is an historical reality, taking place more or less as the history books report

If truth is relative then nothing is straightforwardly 'true' or 'factual'. Everything is 'true for someone' or 'a fact for them'. What then, of the holocaust? Is it true that millions of Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals and other 'enemies' of the Third Reich were systematically executed by the Nazis? If you believe that there are no objective truths, you have to say that there is no straight answer to this question. For some people, the holocaust is a fact, for others, it is not. So what can you say to those who deny it is a fact? Are they not as entitled to their view as you are to yours? How can one both assert the reality of the holocaust and deny that there is a single truth about it? Resolving this intellectual tension is a real challenge.

I make a difference between "a truth" and "the truth". A truth is the kind of non-sense people here like quite a lot. "a truth" is basically their opinion, but written down in some kind of "I love your opinion even though I disagree with it" way. The truth is something that is unknowable to anyone or anything that isn't the Force itself -> The collection of all facts . Because "the truth" is unknowable what we believe to be "the truth" necessarily suffers from perception bias.
It's my opinion that the holocaust is a historical reality and that the books (minus the "victor writes history" bias) are more or less accurate in its description. Maybe it's not... However my opinion can only ever be the closest to fact as I can possibly think. If I doubt my opinion's accuracy (about historical events for example), then my opinion is changing at the same time as I do all that doubting... I really don't have a problem with holocaust deniers, it's not like all those who died in the holocaust are around to tell us exactly what went on.
Once again I really see no challenge here.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Alexandre Orion

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #148204 by
As a philosophy student I dislike this test lol, some of the questions are philosophically ambiguous.

Judge someone solely on their merits? Meaning their beliefs and acts, or does that mean what is meritable as opposed to dislikeable?

Take for example moral relativity. I agreed moral relativity was real, but then I said that genocides are a testament to evil. Well they are, because relative to my morality they are evil lol.

Another was brain death resulting in loss of self and living beyond in a non-physical form. Well first I didn't know what they meant by 'physical', a particle of nature? Or simply what we are able to 'touch'? I can lose my sense of self while continuing to exist as that self in the minds of others...

I guess I felt a need to write this to defend myself against the test's results lol. It does however demonstrate the limitations of these tests, especially because you are unable to justify your reasoning. I wouldn't take too much away from this if you are apparently full of tension :P I would however double check the reasons it gives to check whether or not they apply to you.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 10 months ago #148206 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Philosophical Health Check

The test identifies a pair of beliefs as being in tension, where (a) there is a direct contradiction between them, or (b) some sophisticated reasoning is required to allow both beliefs to be held consistently. If two of your beliefs are in tension, we advise that either giving one of them up, or developing some rationally coherent way of reconciling them (assuming you have not already done so).

It may help to think of the idea of 'tension' in terms of an intellectual balancing act. Where there is little or no tension between two beliefs, no particular intellectual effort is required to balance them. But where there is a lot of tension, either one has to "jump off the highwire" by abandoning one belief; keep one's balance by intellectual effort and dexterity; or else "fall off the highwire" by failing to deal with the tension.

You should note this test only detects tensions between pre-selected pairs of beliefs - it does not detect all the possible tensions between all permutations of beliefs. So there may well be additional tensions between beliefs you hold which are not detected by this test.

Connor...

The chart above shows your "tension quotient" score and also the average tension quotient score across all the people who have completed this test (where lower is better). The next page of analysis will detail the particular tensions in your beliefs identified by the PHC.

Dear Jestor....

Attachment hd2481e2.png not found

Philosophical Health Check - Analysis 2

The Philosophical Health Test has identified the following tension(s) in your beliefs:

Statements 8 and 18: What is faith?

25% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.

You disagreed that:
It is quite reasonable to believe in the existence of a thing without even the possibility of evidence for its existence
But agreed that:
Atheism is a faith just like any other, because it is not possible to prove the non-existence of God

In disagreeing with the first statement, you are acting consistently with the general principle which states that in the absence of good grounds for believing something, it is not rational to believe it. For example, it is not possible to disprove the possibility that there are invisible pink fairies at this moment circling the planet Pluto, but we don’t countenance it as a real possibility because there is no evidence for their planetary activities. This is not to be thought of as a matter of faith, but of sound reasoning. But asserting that atheism is a faith just like any other, because it is not possible to prove the non-existence of God contradicts this principle. It replaces the principle 'in the absence of good grounds for believing something, it is not rational to believe it' with the principle, 'in the absence of good grounds for believing something, it requires faith not to believe it'. For this reason, atheism is not a matter of faith in the same way as belief in God. In short, belief without evidence (a form of faith) is not the same as non-belief due to lack of evidence (rational refusal to assent).

Hahahaha...

I misread the question....

I thought it said,

Atheism is a faith just like any other, because [they believe]it is not possible to prove the non-existence of God. [So therefore, they have faith the God doesnt exist, because he/she/it cannot be proven]

Ah well...

I wonder what other sorts of conflicts I might have that the test doesnt cover... Plaid v stripes? Polka dot v spiral? red v blue?

:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi