Bene Gesserit Training Manual

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 weeks ago - 10 years 3 weeks ago #142731 by
I recently stumbled over a PDF-book which I find interesting enough to share here. I found the link on another Jediism site and the book is called "The Bene Gesserit Training Manual".

For those not familiar with "Bene Gesserit", a short explanation. In the fictional "Dune" universe, the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood is a very powerful, kind of monastic secret order comprised mainly of females. Their goal is to work towards a "better" world (as they perceive it) by putting their sisters into various positions of power and by spreading religious doctrines across the galaxy which will further their goals.

This manual now however appears to be non-fiction. Someone apparently came up with the idea to try and found a real-life Bene Gesserit Sisterhood and wrote this book. I've only read about 40 pages so far but it seems interesting. It is geared mainly towards females and contains chapters about manipulation, publicity work, self-defense, "Dune" philosophy etc.
Some of it seems very light, other parts seem quite dark, sort of like a mixture between Jediism and Sithiism.

As some parts of it seem quite violent (combat techniques etc.), I'll place the link in a spoiler:
Warning: Spoiler!

If anyone has actually heard of this "Bene Gesserit Sisterhood" really existing (the only referrence I found was a page on Facebook), comments or details would be appreciated.
Last edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by . Reason: Spoiler added

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #142988 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Bene Gesserit Training Manual
I managed to read some of the manual today. There were interesting things in it, a few things seemed reasonable, but there was a lot which I didn't understand the point of. One of those things was:

You will be thoroughly interviewed in all areas of the manual, and all of the extracurricular studies suggested by
the manual. (Dance, martial arts, foreign language, politics, sexual technique, etc...)

Even though it's fiction, I really don't understand what purpose that has with regards to the ideas of the 'order' and this bothers me a lot:

I'm guessing the site gave no indication as to who really wrote this document.

Also, a quick google suggests people are using this document as if it were a real guide.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Edan.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #143011 by steamboat28

Ve-Lo-Zi wrote: I recently stumbled over a PDF-book which I find interesting enough to share here. I found the link on another Jediism site and the book is called "The Bene Gesserit Training Manual".

For those not familiar with "Bene Gesserit", a short explanation. In the fictional "Dune" universe, the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood is a very powerful, kind of monastic secret order comprised mainly of females. Their goal is to work towards a "better" world (as they perceive it) by putting their sisters into various positions of power and by spreading religious doctrines across the galaxy which will further their goals.

This manual now however appears to be non-fiction. Someone apparently came up with the idea to try and found a real-life Bene Gesserit Sisterhood and wrote this book. I've only read about 40 pages so far but it seems interesting. It is geared mainly towards females and contains chapters about manipulation, publicity work, self-defense, "Dune" philosophy etc.
Some of it seems very light, other parts seem quite dark, sort of like a mixture between Jediism and Sithiism.

As some parts of it seem quite violent (combat techniques etc.), I'll place the link in a spoiler:

If anyone has actually heard of this "Bene Gesserit Sisterhood" really existing (the only referrence I found was a page on Facebook), comments or details would be appreciated.

This is really, really interesting. Call me if you find Mentats, too!
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by steamboat28.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #143012 by steamboat28

Edan wrote: I managed to read some of the manual today. There were interesting things in it, a few things seemed reasonable, but there was a lot which I didn't understand the point of. One of those things was:

You will be thoroughly interviewed in all areas of the manual, and all of the extracurricular studies suggested by
the manual. (Dance, martial arts, foreign language, politics, sexual technique, etc...)

Even though it's fiction, I really don't understand what purpose that has with regards to the ideas of the 'order' and this bothers me a lot:

I'm guessing the site gave no indication as to who really wrote this document.

Also, a quick google suggests people are using this document as if it were a real guide.

Have you read the fictions it's based on? The BG Sisterhood was a universe-domination cult disguised as a group of soothsayers-slash-courtesans, using their sexual techniques for the purposes of an elaborate eugenics program that spanned centuries with the goal of ultimately breeding a super-human while controlling galactic politics by deciding which Great Houses would form marriage alliances.
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago #143026 by
Replied by on topic Bene Gesserit Training Manual

Edan wrote: Even though it's fiction, I really don't understand what purpose that has with regards to the ideas of the 'order' and this bothers me a lot:

Yes, I understand what you mean. I didn't really read that part because this aspect didn't interest me. I mainly read the parts about political manipulation and religious doctrines which I found very interesting. Although, as far as I am familiar with the Dune fiction, sexual manipulation (of Emperors etc.) is a big part of the way they work.
I'm not really sure if people use this as a guide or not. Apart from a (apparently defunct) Facebook page I have found no evidence whatsoever that this "order" exists anywhere outside the manual.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #143029 by Edan
From what I can see this 'order' doesn't exist, although a few comments from the facebook page suggest people take the manual a bit more seriously.

I've never read Dune, so have absolutely no context for the manual, but I find it strange that it would be on a Jedi website; what site did you find it on?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago #143034 by
I found the link on a Dark Jedi/Sithiism blog although I can't remember the exact name anymore.
The FB page looks harmless enough, seems to be mainly dedicated to fighting female discrimination and social injustice.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #143035 by Edan

I found the link on a Dark Jedi/Sithiism blog

Oh right, that makes more sense.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago #143052 by

Edan wrote: From what I can see this 'order' doesn't exist, although a few comments from the facebook page suggest people take the manual a bit more seriously.

I've never read Dune, so have absolutely no context for the manual, but I find it strange that it would be on a Jedi website; what site did you find it on?

I don't find it that strange to be honest, this isn't being touted as required learning lol, it's something interesting that can be discussed.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #143055 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Bene Gesserit Training Manual
I've read it before and love the movie Dune. Women have been pulling the levers and changing the gears as wives of powerful men throughout history I'd imagine. I'm not sure how organised it could have been though.... back then. I'd bet adhoc networks sprung up among trusted relationships in the background of family, political and business activities, but women have been denied involvement in politics or industry directly until the last 100 years or so. It probably has its strongest links with mistresses/prostitution and organised crime, such as extortion or intelligence gathering. I've often thought the most accurate model of Ninjutsu was associated with this. Dune certainly takes it to a new level with manipulation of the gene pool etc. It is a great model for a Nightsister's style left hand path.
:blink:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, , OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi