Why I am not a Millionaire (link)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #116913 by
http://longevitywarehouse.blogspot.com/2012/01/why-i-am-not-millionaire-by-david.html

Do you think the life of an aesthetic is the proper life for a Jedi (and, this is not meant to be general, I mean YOU in particular as a Jedi)? Does it mesh with your ideals?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #116926 by
Replied by on topic Why I am not a Millionaire (link)
Hmm, says he travels anywhere, does all these things etc. Now, he may not personally ba a millionare, but someone is paying for his expenses in some way. Nothing is free. Even in all the buissness he sets up and exchanges, most assuredly others are paying many thousands if not millions to realize those endevours.

To work within those fields of cutting edge nutrition, money has to be spent somewhere, and while it seems its not his, he is basically the salesman/middleman between other companies and there money.

Of which, while he may not be a millionare, he is probably well off(just from his past buissnesses if he sold his shares), and even he said he doesnt do everything for free. Ill bet his job allows him some "paid for" expenses.

I am reminded of what one of Gandhi's supporters once said...

"It took alot of my money for Gandhi to live so simply."
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by .

More
10 years 6 months ago #116929 by Alethea Thompson
If I were an millionaire, I would spend my money on three different investments (after making sure that the money was going to remain a steady flow):
1) Four Rivers K-9 Search and Rescue
2) Offline Jedi Chapters
3) Education for myself, my husband and my children (current child, any future children and grandchildren).

This, incidentally, would give me an opportunity to still tour the world while helping others through education. Because I would be able to finance my own trips, I wouldn't really need to charge anyone for my training programs- I could also fund some of the members in the community to get certified as trainers in a variety of different areas that would assist offline groups in establishing certain types of programs. For example, by helping fund 4 Rivers, I would helping Heartland Jedi simultaneously, as that is the method of service we have taken. So I could get us all trained up in SAR techniques, and even get some of them certified for different operations (diving, helo-rescue, first aide, etc).

I just want to be actively doing something, and being a millionaire would afford me those opportunities. So can being a millionaire be something for a Jedi? Absolutely- you just have to have the right plan and will to carry it out.

As for aesthetic lifestyle like the one David Wolfe has? In a way I described something very similar, just with a different mission in life. It would also afford me the travelling life I've always wanted, while simultaneously doing the things I love and even exposing my children to a wonderful world of culture. So in the end, would I be a millionaire? Sort of, but probably no more than David Wolfe is. Of course, in line with what Khaos said: it would be my own generated revenue that got me there, not someone elses.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #116931 by
If I had a million dollars I'd buy you a monkey,
Haven't you always wanted a monkey?

More
10 years 6 months ago #116936 by Adder
I'd love to agree with him because a lot of what he says are good messages, but I've met a few wealthy people, and they do not care that much about money. When they have enough, they can lose some of it - because they know they have enough to make it back easily enough.... you see money makes money. They don't waste it of course, but they don't actually give it much thought.

What he says though is true for most everyone else on the planet. It's just strange that he makes it all about himself. I'd calculate that there are a few thresholds for wealth to achieve freedom;

1. earning enough to survive (meet basic demands of water,food,shelter)
2. earning enough to support a few dependents (elderly, children, sick)
3. assets enough to support yourself in old age when you retire (but you stll need to work)
4. assets enough to support yourself now, so you do not have to work except managing your assets
5. assets enough to remove oneself from management of supporting yourself now, so you do not have to work at all.

There would be intermediate levels of course. I'd have to say he is at or above level 3 but decides to spend it all altruistically perhaps!?

If that guy does not have a financial safety net and the story is literally true (which I doubt), then he might be assuming that he will be able to generate money when he needs it. If he gets injured/sick and unable to work or be creative/entrepreneurial, it would have helped to have some savings or income producing assets.

Which is probably his point, if everyone gives everything to those charities then when the time comes for them to need them, they will be of suitable quality and professionalism to be what he considers 'best'.

I still think lifestyle and assets are different things though. Someone could be a billionaire and live very ascetic or nature-bound in the Himalayas with black clad ninja's. The only difference is that person will always know that all it takes is one phone call before boarding the companies/trusts G5 to return to Gotham.

While I'm not convinced you need absolute renunciation to achieve the spiritual benefits of asceticism, there can be no doubt that one difference is a huge one.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #116952 by

Connor Lidell wrote: http://longevitywarehouse.blogspot.com/2012/01/why-i-am-not-millionaire-by-david.html

Do you think the life of an aesthetic is the proper life for a Jedi (and, this is not meant to be general, I mean YOU in particular as a Jedi)? Does it mesh with your ideals?

I think living ones life in tune with the force is the only proper life for a Jedi.

• Whyte Horse
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • Do not try to understand me... rather realize there is no me.
More
10 years 6 months ago #116985 by Whyte Horse
Money is paper with printings. Don't try to acquire money, for that is impossible, rather realize there is no money.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brenna

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #117011 by Alethea Thompson
Fortune cookie statements are a crutch.

To Adder: YES!!!!!! EXACTLY!! I'm glad someone understands such and is willing to say it. I've been telling that to a few people on Jedi Churchlll (FB Page) over the last 2 years, but never could get the message across in an understandable manner. This makes a lot more sense than how I've been conveying it.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Alethea Thompson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #117102 by

Money is paper with printings. Don't try to acquire money, for that is impossible, rather realize there is no money.

Ill try using that one the next time the bills come in...

Im sure it wll go over fine...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #117104 by
Better yet, offer them barter. Give them a blanket, or try see if they will take tales of adventure.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi