Literature on the Pagan understanding of the Force.

• Jon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 7 months ago #6948 by Jon
Please feel free to help us all here and write down your literary recomendations for better understanding of the Force. If possible write a few words of explanation :huh: . Thanks.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #6988 by
Okay, not sure if this totally goes here, and i know some people call anything by Llewellyn (a book publisher) a fake but that is all i have been able to get so there.

For the dark, not evil, side of things,
Konstantinos is a good source, i have had 2 of his books. He states time and again how there are numberous sides to humanity and that Dark/Good is the side he has choosen.

Druid/Bard:

Lore of the Bard by Arthur Rowan (very good book, i does go into the history of Bards and some of Druids, it's main focus is the power of the written word. Words are one of our most usufull means of expressing ourselves.)

21 lessons of Merlyn: A study in druid magic and lore by Douglas Dionroe (i have yet to read all of this, i appologize, it is my sisters bookd. But they mention a \"god\" numberous time in it and made me a bit confused as to whether they were speaking of \"The God\" or the head of gods from that pantheon.\"

The Practise of Celtic Wisdom Druid Magic by Maya Magee Sutton, Ph. D. and Nicholas R. Mann (It definately has a wealth of techniques and practises to get you closer to nature and possibly who you once were. This book delves into attempting to find who you are as a druid.)

Celtic Magic by D J Conway (more like and encyclopedia then an actual how to, it does have a lot of interesting facts cramed into the short book it is very good to read for almost anyone starting a path of Druidry)

Wicca and Paganism in general

True Magick: A Beginner's Guide by Amber K (this is literally the first book i ever bought about magick and the like, it has a lot of very interesting tidbits that can help you get started. If ever i meet someone just starting this path or havn't read it yet, i always recommend it. I appologize, i read it more then 4 years ago and much of the knowledge therein has left me.)

i can't remember the titles of some of the other books, and i have had some more, but i just can't remember right now. So, there is some of what i have read personally. Good luck all those who seek to know the Ancient ones.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #94389 by
I want to disagree with reading Douglas Monroe books it is more fiction than truth. For druid learnings try oboe writing.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #94666 by
I'll only recommend Books I've read here and only those that pertain to ideas akin to 'The Force'.

I learnt a lot from Witch School's First Degree course which is also available in book form. You can sign up to Witchschool for free, and do the first degree course for free. This book and course teaches many ideas about 'energy' which is essentially 'The force' in a Pagan/Wiccan context.

I've read Michelle Bellenger's Psychic Vampire Codex, but I'd probably recommend trying her other book: The Psychic Energy Codex' for a Non-vampire approach.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago #94670 by
Out of the Shadows by John J. Coughlin is practically the only book that I know of that specializes on Dark Paganism. People often make the mistake of confusing witchcraft with paganism. Paganism is a religion, Witchcraft may have religious elements, but is is not a religion. It is a style and method of employing what is referred to as "low magick." The two often cross, but not always. That's like saying every pagan is wiccan, and thats obviously NOT the case. Although many pagans practice witchcraft, not all do so. Just the same, not all individuals practicing witchcraft are pagans, there is a difference...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #94693 by
Funny that you mentioned "Out of the Shadows," Zenchi. I've had that on my shelves for years, but pulled it out a couple months ago and have been meaning to finally read it.

As books on Dark Paganism go, I agree with you, there's very little available. Most books on dark paths are related specifically to witchcraft or ceremonial magick (e.g., authors like Chumbley, Flowers, Koetting, Karlsson, Ford, Schulke, etc.).

"The Dark Archetype" (Dumars & Nyx) is a fun book if you're interested in dark gods and goddesses. It's not specifically about the practice of Dark Paganism, but knowledge gained from the book can easily be applied. There's also a great bit in the introduction:

"Perhaps it's because there's an aspect of magickal power that scares us. Like the dark side of the Force in the Star Wars mythology, power seems to come from a dark and scary place. We're afraid that somehow, as with the Force's dark side, it will seduce us and we will misuse it."

I've only read Konstantinos' "Summoning Spirits," Anora^una_Ilorn, so I can't comment on him as a source of information on Dark Paganism, but some of my darker Pagan friends seem to like his work. :) I do really like Amber K's "True Magick" (embarrassing as that would be to admit to some of those friends).

I've read Michelle Bellenger's "Psychic Energy Codex," Demnos. It's alright. There are probably better books on the subject, but in a Pagan/Vampire context it's pretty good. I do appreciate her straight-forward writing style and some of the exercises were effective.

In regard to what you asked, Surtr`Amun, literary recommendations for a Pagan understanding of the Force might be tough. I imagine there are many different interpretations of the Force when considering Paganism from a Jedi angle. Were I to offer you a list of books that I, personally, feel would be appropriate to my past understanding, they might be...

Isaac Bonewits' "Real Magic" - Basic, but he has some interesting thoughts on what he refers to as "The Laws of Magic." He also goes into some depth explaining how magic(k) works (from occult and psychological perspectives).

Gerald del Campo's "New Aeon Magick" - Although written for Thelemites, there is some solid wisdom in this book.

Dianne Sylvan's "The Circle Within" - Written for Wiccans (I read this while studying first degree). I don't recall the book dealing directly with the Force, but I do recall it bringing me closer somehow.

Some of Christopher Penczak's books are good bets, too.

I think it depends on what aspect of the Force you connect with as a Pagan, though, and ultimately how you view your relationship with the Force. When I was Pagan, I was recommended various books, and about half of those fell flat with me when I read them. Many were inspiring, many weren't.

I'm interested in reading more of peoples' thoughts on your original question, Surtr`Amun.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi