question on explanation

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17206 by
question on explanation was created by
looking for some advice and i think this may be right forum.

My step younglings to be are 7 and 9 (9 with high functioning autism), and have been fed by a very close minded father that wicca particularly (heck everything but very strict LDS) is satanic and evil; and further the followers of these religons are going to hell and blah blah blah.

I'm not wiccan myself but do know much about it. i can explain the religion and the concepts till i'm blue in the face. I can go on to how important freedom of religion is and how important choice is. I've tried every explanation and every way i can think of short of saying. but they are just kids and one special needs kid, and i'm fighting years of closeminded brainwashing to boot(although disagreed by the mother, but still drilled in the poor kids skulls).

What is the \"easy for a kid to under stand\" explanation that wicca is not satanic and evil blah blah blah, and not specifically say the father is wrong?
I figure there has to be a quick, easy simple answer that will work. but it eludes me.
any thoughts?

other than just saying thier dad is an idiot...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17215 by
Replied by on topic Re:question on explanation
Steve try explaining to them that Wiccans believe in the spirit of all. For instance Gia spririt of earth, she feels like we do and is ever changing. Even trees have spirits. Wiccans and Druids believe in the Oneness of everything. For your youngling that is 9 I would show him more than explain. Allow him/her to see what it is you speak of, by holding a rock or speaking with a tree. In time he/she will find that a rock or tree are not bare but alive with energy. Even the feel of a blade of grass in time will show the energy.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17216 by
I remeber Gia from a show i used to watch Captain planet. She was the mother of earth and always got hurt if there polluting. I remeber hearing about wicca and how it was witch craft, but the way you explain it and captain planet had it, it doesnt seem like witch craft or at least the type that does harm. witch craft doesnt exactly mean its a bad thing. thanks for the info guys!

mtfbwy

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17220 by
Thrier Father is not an idiot, just set in his ways, the easiest way to explain is that all of the worlds religions stemmed from one belief, Celtic/Druidism. The belief that the earth is the giver of all life and that she should be protected to preserve that life. Explaining freedom of religion to younglings is nowhere near easy, you have to put it in very simple terms, but getting past any brainwashing will always be difficult regardless of how simple you make it for them to understand. I know this did not much, but I felt the need to respond.
May The Force Be With You Always.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17221 by
I'm am not Pagan but I know and understand for my little brother (7 years old) is also High functioning and the way that I explained religion to him was this. There are many different ideas and religions in the world. They all are the same in many ways just practiced differently. There is no right or wrong religion just people who have wrong ideas of what they mean. Unless you study every single religion and understand what it is, you cant say its wrong. People may think they know because of what they saw on tv or in movies but you cant base everything from those sources. deciding a religion is a personal choice and no matter what you choose to believe in as long as in your heart you are happy then what does it matter what others think. They could be just unhappy with themselves because they never had anyone give them a choice. But before you judge something or someone you must first learn to understand it...its like the old saying when you point your fingers at something, remember you have three more fingers points back at you

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17245 by
thank you all. very good idea all around! i think i can use a little of all of these to do the \"damage control\".

Very helpful.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17250 by
Is not the easiest way to point this (or any other ie colour, race, sexuality, religion, political leaning etc etc etc) out in the following way...

A person themselves, more to the point, their actions, are either good/bad, light dark, evil/good etc not their 'religion' etc.

Eg are for example all Iraqi's bad people because Saddam Hussein was warped? same for Germans/Austrians cos of Adolph Hitler... thousands of example to choose from.

Simply put, do these children really think you are a bad man? the rest matters not. I wouldn't worry about this too much to be honest, lead by example, all you can do is hope they take in what you teach (practice what you preach, lead by example) and when they are older, they will probably realise the truth for themselves and make their own decisions. For now, I wouldn't really bother with the issue too much.

Final point, hell in many cultures is in fact where were at now, life on earth as we know it now and death is the next step to something better, in any case, I am not suggesting you confront their natural father on this (I don't agree with filling kids with horror stories) what I do suggest if necessary is try to soften the idea of 'Hell' in their minds so it isn't so scary. I was taught all this garbage in school (not by my parents) about hell etc, it got to the point where it all sounded very disney to me and ultimately (partly anyway) flipped a switch a switch in my head that turned me from Christianity all together.

You dont want to close their minds to anything, but give them all the information they ask for in as truthful and clear way as you can, but a their ages and other considerations, I wouldnt be too concerned about it just yet.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17257 by
I would suggest maybe a movie, one that depicts wicca/celtic/druid beliefs without the \"evil witchcraft\" from most movies. In fact it would probably be quite easy to find one that depicts them as good and Christians as bad, concidering how many movies their are that depict the Crusades. I'm sure your not planning to teach them their father is evil, so that may not be best, but it would go to show some example of people are only bad if they choose to be that way. Not because of their religion, it would also show that it depends on what point of view they are looking from.

DK

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17267 by
Kingdom Of Heaven (even if it is 15 rated in the UK :D)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 8 months ago #17349 by
You could try to read the wiccan rede without all the wiccan wording, then ask them how they feel about it, if they like it and it reflects their own beliefs explain to them what it really is. or have them get to know someone who is wiccan or pagan, then after they begin to like the person have them explain their religion. i have no idea how it will turn out but it is worth a shot. You could also have them watch brother bear, pocahantas, harry potter, hercules, read them some of them myths. explain about some of the children protectors of old.

oh and i thought that most religions stemed from sumeria and babolon (sp?), they have many of the same beliefs as the rest of the world but i believe they were around before much of the world. I read a while back that all women can be traced back to one women in africa by dna. it would make sence that others are more old. :) also they have many, many things in common with christianity, egyptian, celtic, etc. they have a tree of life and knowledge, a man and women who love each other and suffer, and i can't remember where to find it currently but there is a story very similar to Jesus but much earlier.

:) not try to insult or cause problems, just something that i have read.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi