Balance, Emotions, and The Force

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #15100 by
Many pure Jedi here are being trained to learn to control their emotions (to a point), become aware of them. But, I view us Pagans as being slightly different from the flock. Where as one is encouraged to pursue and use their emotions (Sith) and another to learn to control them to better understand the world and themselves (Jedi) i view we Pagans as a balance between the two. For you see magick works by not letting your emotions get the best of you but using them towards magickal practises. So, we use emotions, but not for personal gain, persay. As i have stated previously there could come a time when we have people who practise the dark arts come here and feel the need to associate with this pagan community. But here is the thing. For magick to work, we send our thoughts, emotions, and ideas out into the universe amplified by what ever tools we choose to use for any given ceremony. If you feel the need to heal someone does love not fuel your practises? If you are protecing someone, does worry and concern not drive your intent?

I must admit that the path we choose is on the edge. Teedering between the two can be difficult. Once upon a time i placed a curse on someone and lost the material to remove it. All i can hope is what i have done to reverse it worked as i have not seen her in many years but it did work. And we must be careful. The Force teaches us that we must never forget that all things have rights. A right to peace, to a happy life, to a life in general. I can not say that i will not make mistakes in the future for i am human and am balancing on a rock, the best thing i can do is hope that when i slip i land on the bright side and not the shaded side again.

This is sort of the topic for the week.
Why is it so vital for us to stay on the light side and what can the consiquences be for choosing the darker side, if any?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #15104 by
Well, im not pagan so sorry if im out of order here, as you know (see sig) I am of Pure Land rite

Now, I didn't pick this rite due to anything against any other, its simply because I do not have any real draw to any other religious practises.

Now in terms of emotions etc... I may seem odd or in wrong place for the following, but I have temper, a real short explosive temper, however, I feel it can be used as a tool, as long as its not used against others directly (thus far I have managed for the main to keep it under wraps from others)

I feel emotions have a place and uses, I don't think the Jedi should every try to block them utterly, this is not natural, you'll only self destruct if you tried.

I also think this is misinterpreted as a whole by many. My belief is that we should not rely purely on emotions, or instinctive behaviour, to not respond on impulse. Even anger has its uses, even the best person in the world experiences anger, the goal of the Jedi is to channel it into the right direction, that is in a way that will not harm others or oneself (physically or mentally).

My interpretation of light and dark is simply that of intent... you may slip off the rock, we all do, probably on a daily basis... but the light or dark is down to intent... if you mean to hurt then that is dark. We may make mistakes with kindest intentions, we may even sit on the fence and do nothing, is that right or wrong? is it better to make the wrong decision than none at all...

these are all complex questions.... but I live by my golden rule, treat others how you wish to be treated yourself, and you can t really go too far wrong

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #15105 by
I agree with Master Anora that we walk the very fine prepice of light and dark. Magic requires emotions in them. For a curse or spell a certain type of emotion is required and usually strengthens such spell or curse. To not use emotions sometimes is to deny apart of oneself in that becomes an aspect of the dark.
To understand how and why you have done somethng shows whether you have used it for light or dark.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #15106 by
I appologize Kana I misworded a few things. This has been a long day. I did not mean to imply that Jedi attempt to block all emotions, i was just simply attempting to compare Jedi and Sith. We have changed them around so much from the movies that the definitions are hard to compare these days.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #15108 by
Sith are Jedi... Sith follow the ways of the force, they are Jedi

Just a different point of view... nhis isnt a coorection, just my view of 'Sith' or whatever.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
15 years 11 months ago #15109 by Jon
Kana Seiko Haruki wrote:

Sith are Jedi... Sith follow the ways of the force, they are Jedi

Just a different point of view... nhis isnt a coorection, just my view of 'Sith' or whatever.

Well yes this is a valid point of view. Some Sith do consider themselves as Jedi. As the Fifth Rite the Sith are considered as an individual expression of Jediism.

True the Sith do use emotions. They do not however rant and rave like headless chickens without putting the slightest thoughts to what they are doing, quite the opposite they are in full control of what they do. Sith use the power generated by emotions, emotions help them to direct their relationship with the Force.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
15 years 11 months ago #15114 by Jon
The Dark side is also a very ambiguous term, very often related to \"that which is not light\", evil ominous, destructive, despotic, dominant... . This we have to thank the film industry, the press... . It is not as simple as that though. Above all else it is a state of being, a place where people feel at home, a place where members see thems selves fully realised. As the adjective already indicates it is a state of being which is invisible to the eye, ever present, a part of the natural order... . On a human level \"dark siders\" allow that which is usually socially not well thought of, usually that which is considered with fear. Contrary to what history has taught us the Sith are prepared to take that same risk and stand the man.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #15139 by
Apologies for the upcoming rant.

First off, regarding Sith: Of course they're Jedi! Sort of. Fiction-wise, they started out as \"Dark Jedi,\" until they gained the term Sith from the race by that name, and the term became synonymous with Dark Jedi. Sort of. Jerec's folks would be a notable exception, as (I suppose) any followers of Sith Lords during the whole \"Rule of Two\" issue.

Jumping into the real world, now...

I mostly thought that emotions were, for the most part, essential for a Jedi. We're supposed to reach out with our feelings in order to feel the Force, correct? And certainly this shouldn't just apply for the passive actions of perception, but also the active use of Force manipulation. Of course, as \"Light\" Jedi, this would only apply directly towards \"good\" emotions, rather than letting rage catch hold (something I'll hopefully be able to teach my Master, eh? :P).

I dunno, I might just be following some sort of Taoist bias, where the Jedi themselves would represent bias, whereas the Sith would follow something more along the lines of \"controlled chaos.\" If I'm wrong, please, somebody correct me.

Anyway... regarding Anora^una_Ilorn's question at the end of her first post... I might be a bit radical on this, but... I think without the barriers the Fifth Rite probably provide (again, \"controlled chaos\"), a very possible problem when dealing with the Dark Side is a sort of Loss of Self.

Bear with me, folks, but I've had many times where I've just become so engrossed in the anger and frustration and... well, depression, too, that I've lost complete understanding of who I am. Even now, I'm still wondering what happened to that boy I once was, who has been seemingly taken by teen years and replaced with a cynical, hateful, angry, misanthropic adult.

Maybe it's not the \"Dark Side\" as some of you see it, but it's certainly the darkest side of myself I've found. I'd equate it with a similarity to addiction, only I've never really been addicted to anything beyond sugar... and maybe certain people.

I know... someone who hates people and still can't get enough of them. Seems like a textbook addict to me.

Though maybe this is just a raw form of the Dark Side? I don't know... again, I'm not really knowledgeable, beyond what I've experienced...

Sorry again for the rant.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #15140 by
No problem, and as i have said, i have a hard time wording things properly from time to time. Also i was emotional when i wrote it and wasn't thinking clearly. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion and it is very much welcomed for how are we supposed to learn about ourselves and our world around us if not by the opinions of others. And i get the feeliing that many of us view the 'dark side' basically the same way with a few miniscule differences for each person. It is interesting to see.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 11 months ago #15147 by
Emotion is such an unstable substance. It seems very easy to slide from One extreme to the other in an instant. As its been said before, I don't think anyone has complete control over their own emotions.

In the past, I have had a temper that usually resulted something getting broke. But I begin to realize, that somethings are out your means of control and anger will not improve the situation.

I try to rationalize the situation before any emotion ensues. Sometimes this is done through anticipating possible outcomes and then meditate on solutions. Therefore any negative results will not be a surprise. Its kind of a method of control. The down side to this is, the anticipation maybe too much at times.

I think all of us use the Force wether we know it or not, since we are in the presence of the Force at all times. I trust in the Force to guide my decisions.

I think anger has its uses at times, however its results can vary greatly. Troops use anger to overcome fear and gain courage. But if used in this way too much, and the warrior will not be able to turn it off and the line between friend and foe becomes fuzzy. I have seen this first hand. The military calls this \"Controlled agression.\" But as everyone knows \"control\" is an illusion. That is how the line gets fuzzy. Next thing you know it, that anger leads to hate. And nothing good comes of hate. An entire civilization is then blanketed by hate.

Sorry sometimes I ramble. MTFBWUA

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi