Nwyfre

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121472 by
Nwyfre was created by
I know for some this must be getting long and boring. We are on a Jedi site for f*** sakes.

I will do my best to share knowledge that we have in common.

Nwyfre(pronounced Nooiv-rhu)

The Druidic concept of the ‘life force’ has been embodied in the word ‘nwyfre.’ The word nwyfre is a Middle Welsh word meaning ‘sky’ or ‘vigor.’ It was usually used to refer to a windy sky. Iolo Morganwg popularized its use as a ‘magical’ word. He probably misunderstood the etymology of the word, which originally had no mystical connotation, but ‘nwyfre’ has taken on a life of its own (no pun intended) among contemporary Druid circles. The way modern Druids use the word, it now means ‘life force’ or ‘life energy.’ Think of ‘The Force’ from the Star Wars film series, and you’ll have a rough approximation of what nwyfre means to a Druid.

To a Druid, everything is alive, including rocks, trees, plants, animals, and even the Earth herself. Everything has the potential to generate energy, and the sum total of the energy in the universe is the life force itself. This is the concept Morganwg was trying to get across when he chose the word ‘nwyfre.’

You might ask, “How can rocks be alive?” The answer is that they contain potential life force, rather than actuated life force. Rocks become dirt. Plants feed on dirt, converting its material into life energy. Then animals eat the plants, and humans eat both the plants and the animals. Think of it this way: If you take a vitamin pill with mineral supplements, those minerals came from rocks. At what point in the digestive process does that mineral cease to be inanimate, and become alive by being a part of you? Where is the dividing line between inanimate matter and living things? Are DNA molecules alive? Are prions alive? Are viruses alive? Are bacteria alive? Are single-celled organisms alive? Nwyfre teaches us that all things have life potential.

One of the deeper mysteries of Druidry is that we are all interconnected. A quote attributed to Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe says that we are all part of the ‘web of life, ’ and that what we do to others, including our four-legged brothers and sisters, we do to ourselves. This is sometimes expressed in Wicca as the Threefold Law, or the Rule of Threes: What you do comes back to you threefold.

When a Druid talks of ‘magic, ’ he or she is referring to the use of nwyfre to achieve a desired end. One of the shades of meaning of the word 'nwyfre' is the idea of ‘weaving.’ So Druids are those who ‘weave’ the ‘life force’ to evoke changes within themselves. These inner changes lead to a higher consciousness and a deeper connection to nature and to others.

In both ancient and modern practice of Druidry, a period of apprenticeship is required prior to taking the path of the Druid. Druidry is a lifelong path, and such a path requires a lifetime of dedication. Such a commitment is not a decision to be taken lightly. Because of this, many Orders of Druidry require a period of reflection on what it means to be a Druid before accepting a Dedicant into full membership. Brehon Law (the code of laws used by Ireland during the Gaelic period) prescribes a period of a year and a day of consideration before making many major decisions, and many Druid Orders adhere to this rule.

Earth Path: This path discusses how to draw closer to nature by caring for the Earth and understanding how we fit into the Web of Life, how to live sustainably and ecologically, and how to be active in giving back to the natural world. The basic foundation for the Earth Path section is the Celtic tree alphabet known as ‘Ogham.’ In learning about the Ogham, we will discuss the properties of the trees and plants associated with each letter of this alphabet. We also discover how to develop a relationship with our birth trees using the Tree Calendar developed by Robert Graves in The White Goddess. The nwyfre of the Earth Path lies in learning to see the life force in all living things, including plants, animals, stones, rivers, and the living landscape that surrounds us.

Sun Path: This path is an in-depth analysis of the Wheel of the Year and how Druids celebrate the High Days, including rituals for each High Day. The Sun Path teaches the Wheel of the Year as a metaphor for our own sacred journey through life, embracing the concepts of balance between light and dark, chaos and order. The nwyfre of the Sun Path lies in learning to see the life force as an expression of the Divine, and learning that we ourselves are a divine expression of the nwyfre.

Moon Path: This path focuses on the inner journey of the Druid. Just as the Moon has no light of its own, but reflects the light of the Sun, the Moon Path teaches us to reflect the Divine within ourselves. Included in this path are teachings on basic shamanism, how to meditate, and how to interpret our dreams. The nwyfre of the Moon Path lies in learning to see the life force in ourselves and to recognize that there is no separation between our own life force and the nwyfre of all other living things in this universe and all other universes.

Since Druidry is a highly individual path, don’t get caught up in the idea that there is a ‘right way’ or a ‘wrong way’ to do things. In Druidry, the ‘right way’ is the way that has meaning to you. The rest is just suggestions. We each experience the nwyfre in our own way. The way you find to experience it is yours and yours alone, and can never be ‘wrong.’

Jayden
/|\

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #121476 by
Replied by on topic Nwyfre
Thank you
Nwyfre – new word for LifeForce

I feel a muse coming on . .

Nwyfre
In the stars
In the rock
In the symbols and
The cymbals
In a tick of time
In the space between
The rhyme
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121479 by
To the muse,

Jayden
\|/

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121761 by
Replied by on topic Re:Re: Nwyfre
Thanks for your continued energies in enriching the pagan section with knowledge! Feel free to keep posting what you feel is appropriate. I have a particular interest in Celtic Shamanism so your posts on druidry are fascinating :)

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #121769 by Lykeios Little Raven
Replied by Lykeios Little Raven on topic Nwyfre
Indeed! Thank you very much Jayden! It's appreciated! I'm loving learning more about Druidry straight from a Druid!

Now, nwyfre is Welsh, do you happen to know the Irish equivalent? Only, I'm learning Gaeilge so I'm interested both on a spiritual level and an academic.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Lykeios Little Raven.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121798 by

Lykeios wrote: Indeed! Thank you very much Jayden! It's appreciated! I'm loving learning more about Druidry straight from a Druid!

Now, nwyfre is Welsh, do you happen to know the Irish equivalent? Only, I'm learning Gaeilge so I'm interested both on a spiritual level and an academic.

Thank you for the compliment but let me reassure that although the Force is strong with me, I am not a Druid yet. (This line sounds familiar :laugh: ) I am studying Druidry.

Had to look up the answer to your question in hopes that it helps you out.

Life force, what the Chinese call Chi, the Japanese call Ki, Hebrews, ruach, Hindi speakers call Prana and Druids called Nwyfre.(Welsh)

Irish possibilities:

"Beatha"..."Life" as in that which distinguishes living things from dead or inanimate things.

With that in mind here are a few possible translations:

Fuinneamh - Energy
Anam - Soul
Spiorad - Spirit

and, of course, there's always beatha.

I'm afraid it's unlikely you'll find a direct translation into Irish for "life force", though. It's a relatively new concept in the West, at least, in comparrison with the developement of the Irish language over the last century or so. I'm by no means a native Irish speaker.

Jayden
\|/

More
10 years 6 months ago #121816 by Lykeios Little Raven
Replied by Lykeios Little Raven on topic Re:Nwyfre
Yea, I looked and I speak a little Irish and couldn't find life force anywhere. Beatha or Anam sound best to me. Can't believe I'd forgotten beatha, its part of one of my word phrases: uisce beatha. In Bearla (English) that would be "whiskey" or, directly, "water of life."

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #132795 by
I just signed up here. Neat to see other student of Druidry.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #132809 by
I took a distance learning course with a druidic organization for many years. Very interesting stuff!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #132837 by

Marquis wrote: I just signed up here. Neat to see other student of Druidry.

Hello Marquis welcome to TOTJO. I'm glad you found that post. I like to be reminded that it's all about the Force.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi