Off the wall kinda question...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #98826 by
who believes that we are alone in the universe? personally i think there is other life out there somewhere and only our limited technology limits us in finding them. to think we are the only intelligent life anywhere in the WHOLE universe galaxy whatever is human arrogance. i dont want to start any fights or anything but i would like to see what others think about this.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #98830 by
Replied by on topic Off the wall kinda question...
I believe there is life elsewhere in the Universe.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #98831 by
I basically have the same opinion on the matter as you. The universe is huge, and to think that we are the only sentient life in it is a bit human ethnocentric. The probability of at least one other sentient species out there must be pretty high, considering how many chances (other planets and galaxies and basically places in the universe) there are for other sentient species.

Should we try to make contact with other sentient life? I actually tend to agree with Stephen Hawking. He believes that contact with aliens could bring about misery for the human race. The aliens could colonize earth or exploit our resources or exploit our people. Or they could just kill us all.

So yes, other sentient life is probably out there, but we should probably stay away from it.

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #98951 by Adder
It seems the ingredients exist out there and so I'd say its likely there was or will be other life. I do also think its probable that life does exist elsewhere at the moment - just because the universe is so large it might as well be infinite (and it could be infinite).

Unfortunately it also seems likely that successful creatures like humans might have a habit of killing themselves with overpopulation and resource depletion leading to disease and mutation then extinction... so I guess there might be a technology curve to address those issues we'd need to stay ahead of to survive. Not to mention war's, things came close during the Cold War which would have seen most all life wiped out.

So that, and the massive distances involved makes interaction with intelligent alien life seem remote.... at least in the physical dimension :woohoo:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #98955 by
Every civilization has a turning point. We are at one now. It is either change completely or die. So if other species have found a way past the obvious problems of "life", and haven't destroyed themselves like we are close to doing, they'll be there. They may be war mongers which will be death for us all, or they could be benevolent beings waiting for the choice we make with our "turning point". If we fail, they go on, if we succeed in not killing ourselves off and making this world better, they will help us (hopefully). It would be nice if their first physical contact with us would be with a jedi. Probably be a better first impression ;) .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #98957 by
Ditto. There's no way we can be the only living life in the universe.

*Bad video quality, but interesting to listen to...imo anywho*

I love this guy.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi