Faith vs Religion: Definition?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #91596 by
I just finished the initiate program, and something brought out my thoughts on this question (see topic). I know the definition that the ToJO posts on the general pages, and reference.com, Webster's dictionary, Mirriam-Webster's dictionary have some fine definitions. But, I hear the terms used as synonyms and it "[XXXX]es me off to no end!" (~ David Lo Pan, Big Trouble in Little China)

I see FAITH as: your personal convictions (whether that's a deity / deities, personal moral code, or just your agreement to share your place with the Universe).

I see RELIGION as the practices themselves (rituals, meetings, services, and other public expression =OF= faith).

Faith is the personal; religion is the community. (This exempts religions like Buddhism, which is a personal-practice religion; most monks will tell you "there's no such thing as a 'practicing' Buddhist.")

Am I wrong for thinking that these are completely separate things, or, are they (in fact) the same thing?

I invite your opinions; they shall guide me. I hope to see some of the "higher ups" contribute an opinion as well; everyone would benefit from their words.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by . Reason: Fixing yet another typo; adding bit re: admins.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #91599 by Proteus
I acknowledge the clear difference, but not a difference in the sense that they are utterly separate, but that one is an extension of the other. Faith is an aspect used in religion, sometimes like the "battery" of the religion's beliefs. While the battery is a separate thing from what it is powering, it is still integrated into it, and therefore, commonly identified along with it. Though I'm still not completely clear on that. It's a good topic to think about though.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #91612 by

jimcode3 wrote:
I invite your opinions; they shall guide me. I hope to see some of the "higher ups" contribute an opinion as well; everyone would benefit from their words.

Just because they're higher up does not mean they are any more "wiser" than anyone else or in any way more capable of giving a valid opinion... :P (before anyone becomes pedantic...I'm not saying that's what he's saying...just saying what I am saying.)

Anyway to me personally they're the same thing... some people don't like calling Jediism a religion because of the negative attachment to it...but that's life! There are some that don't like to call Science...science and instead call it witchcraft...whichever terminology works best for you...
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #91644 by
Chocolate is differnt from peanut butter but they as so much better together.::)

More
11 years 3 months ago #91651 by Br. John
Who can separate his faith from his actions, or his belief from his occupations?

Founder of The Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #91657 by
They are obviously very closely related but I always looked at religion as a formalized doctrine, specific practices and standard beliefs that constitutes the backbone of a religious teaching.

Faith, on the other hand, is what we believe simply because it feels right and natural to us instead of being told that it is so by someone or something else. At least that's my distinction of the two.

More
11 years 3 months ago #91695 by Adder
I guess I see faith as a specific type of belief, and religion anything incorporating faith which is done religiously (devoted regular practice), and it need not be public in my interpretation. Faith does not have to be metaphysical but if it underpins a religious activity then it seems to need to be understood as distinct from truth IMO so not to develop a bad habit of mixing faith and truth - perhaps it is its persistence which separates it from if there are other types of belief!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #91710 by
I see this from a different perspective...

My religion is my Faith. What I believe in, what I have Faith in, is the religion of Phortis Nespin. I cannot have a religion if there is nothing that I believe in.

Additional thoughts:

Believing in nothing is not a Faith, Not having a religion means not having Faith in anything.

TO ME!!!
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #91786 by

Adder wrote: ... and it need not be public in my interpretation.

Just to clarify, I didn't truly mean that "it has to be publicly seen or publicly performed." I meant that religion [again, to me] is the outward action (that others could see); faith is the inner directive. A person who has a private prayer altar in their home is counted within the "outward."

... or, did I just confuse the issue more? :blush:

More
11 years 3 months ago #91798 by Adder

jimcode3 wrote: ... or, did I just confuse the issue more? :blush:

Nope, thanks for clarifying. I love reading other peoples ideas/beliefs and thinking about my own - so thanks for asking!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi