A short script I wrote - Adam and Genesis (Absurdist play)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #90004 by
For those who don't have a good understanding of Absurdism, this play may seem quite strange and might not even make sense, however I have included a few notes at the end. This script along with a stylistically contrasting Naturalism script, research, drafts and evaluations; earned me a distinction, the highest grade achievable for that module. However, I think we were mainly marked on our ability to show our understanding of the styles we've chosen. Any constructive feedback is welcome but bear in mind I wrote this about a year ago now.
Adam and Genesis

Two males sit cross-legged in garden in the centre of the stage (a garden). Both look seemingly bored.

Adam: It’s funny, isn’t it

Genesis: Not really

Adam: Well I think it is. It’s funny how we got here.

Genesis: Well?

Adam: Well what?

Genesis: How did we get here?

Adam: I...I don’t suppose I know.

Genesis: You don’t remember?

Adam: It’s not that, it’s just that I don’t know.

Genesis: You don’t remember.

They pause a while to look around at their surroundings

Adam: I miss home.

Genesis: Which is?

Adam: Which is what?

Genesis: Exactly.

Adam: Exactly what?

Genesis: Which is what.

Adam: What?

Genesis: You said you miss home. But what is home?

Adam: I...I don’t suppose I know.

Genesis: You don’t remember?

Adam: It’s not that, it’s just that I don’t know.

Genesis: You don’t remember.

Adam: Alright. Home is where the heart is.

Genesis laughs at this suggestion

Genesis: And where did you imagine that phrase from?

Adam: I heard it.

Genesis: Heard it from where?

Adam: A place

Genesis: Home?

Adam: No, just a place.

Genesis: Not home?

Adam: No

Genesis: Just a place, but not home?

Adam: Yes, exactly.

Genesis: So tell me then. If home is where the heart is, then where is your heart.

Adam: It was lost.

Genesis: And where did you lose it?

Adam: Oh in some forgotten place in a forgotten time. I don’t suppose I know.

Genesis: So your home is lost?

Adam: Yes, indeed it is.

Genesis laughs at the idea that Adam's home is lost

Adam: Well what of your home then? Where’s your home?

Genesis: Don’t be stupid. I don’t have a home. Neither do you. Neither does anyone. Home is just a word. A comfort. Something to make you feel safe, but you’re never safe, especially not when you’re in your “home”.
(In a childish, mocking voice)
Ooohhhhh home. Ooohhhh home. Home, home, home.
(In an aggressive tone)
There is no fucking home! Why are you more safe in your home than you are in this garden?

Adam: I suppose you’re not, but I never said that my home was safe.

Genesis: Well then why have one?

Adam: Because. It’s nice. It makes you feel like you’re a part of something.

Genesis: The only thing you’re part of is a lie.

Genesis turns to face away from Adam

Adam: You know, you shouldn’t always be so cynical.

Genesis: Oooohhh, cynical. Using big words now are we?

Adam: I’m just saying, maybe there’s hope yet.

Genesis: (in a dark, resentful, bitter tone) There is no hope. Hope has long faded. All that’s left now is evil.

Adam: It’s not easy is it?

Genesis: No, but it should be.

Adam: Yes, it should be.

Genesis: Why isn’t it? Why can’t it be? Look around, the makings are there.

Adam: I know, I know. It’s not right is it?

Genesis: No, it’s not. Will it always be this way?

Adam: I think that now, it will be. Until.

Genesis: Until?

Adam: Until.

Genesis: Until what?

Adam: Until the end.

Genesis: Oh.

Adam: Sorry.

Genesis: It’s ok, I suppose you’re right.

They both stand and wander around for a while, absent-minded.

Adam excitedly runs around the stage exclaiming:

Adam: I remember when their used to be mountains! When their used to be lakes and river and hills! And the fields....oh the fields!

Genesis: A green haven, a tall tree, the sound of birdsong...... Well, we can't forever be dreamers. Have you got everything ready?

Adam: Everything ready for what?

Genesis: For leaving.

Adam: We're leaving?

Genesis: Well, we can't stay around forever can we?

Adam: Well why not? I like it here.

Genesis: Because. Because there's nothing here for us. Think about it properly, do you really like it here? Do you actually have a feeling of liking for this place?

Adam: You're right, we should leave.

Genesis: Right then, so....

Adam: So what?

Genesis: So, have you got everything ready?

Adam: Well....

Genesis: Well what?

Adam: Well I did have but I kinda messed it all up again.

Genesis: (sighs) I suppose I should've expected that. And how exactly did you mess everything up?

Adam: What do you mean you should've expected it!? What's that supposed to mean? And actually, it's your fault for making me wait so long.

Genesis: Alright, calm down. Jheeze.

Adam: Why do you care anyway?

Genesis: Why do I care about what?

Adam: Anything. Why do you care if I'm ready? Why do you care about my reaction? Why do you care about my thoughts and my feelings?

Genesis: I guess I don't really. It's just a blind curiosity. It's a natural reaction, you could say.

Adam: Human nature you mean?

Genesis: No, not human.

Adam: Ah, right. Yes of course. How silly of me. Anyways, you should be careful of these curiosities of yours.

Genesis: Why's that?

Adam: You might find something that you don't like. You know what they say....

Genesis: No. What do they say?

Adam: Curiosity killed the cat

Genesis: What the fuck are you talking about? Who's cat?

Adam: It's just a saying

Genesis: There you go again with your sayings! Too ignorant to question their origin, their true meaning, their first instance!

Adam: Why do you have to ruin everything for me? Why do you always have to jump in and kill my moments?

Genesis: Kill your moments? Don't be so fucking stupid. Why should they be your moments more than they are mine? I've got just as much a reason for them to belong to me. Besides, it's not like it has your name on it?

Adam: Is that so, is it?

Genesis: Yeah it is

Adam pulls a piece of paper and a pen from his pocket, turns away from Genesis and writes on it "Adam's Moment" before turning back to face Genesis and showing him the piece of paper

Adam: There, now it is my moment.

Genesis: Are you happy now?

Adam rips the piece of paper up and lets it drop to the floor

Adam: No I'm not, because you killed my moment.

Genesis: Oh don't be a prick about it.

Adam: Well maybe you shouldn't be either.

Genesis: Whatever

There's a long pause between the two of them.

Adam: So then.....leaving.

Genesis: Yeah....leaving

Adam: When?

Genesis: I'm ready

Adam: Okay. Let's go then. There's nothing left anymore.

Genesis: But I thought you weren't ready? I thought you still had to sort out your things?

Adam: Well the way I see it, it doesn't matter whether I sort them or not, does it? I mean, when it comes to it, it makes no difference.

Genesis: Now you're starting to understand

Adam: You've corrupted me. You've broken me. I wasn't always like this.

Genesis: All I did was help you to open your eyes.

Adam: Thank you. I can see so clearly now.

They pause and individually reflect for a few moments

Adam: It's funny isn't it

Genesis: I guess it is.

They exit the stage, both going off in opposite directions, not looking back at each other once and showing no signs of emotion over having to leave.

I included a few metaphors within this play. The opening line itself could be interpreted in many ways but I like to think that Adam is referring to how the world got to its current state of greed and war when he says "how we got here", as opposed to how the two of them reached the garden. I also used "Home" as metaphor for religion as a whole and Genesis's reactions to Adam using phrases as a metaphor for why people seem not to question how things came to be. Adam and Genesis then go on to talk about hope and how things aren't easy. This is in reference to how it's not easy to make the world better again and that the world will probably never change until it's too late. Lastly, the more obvious metaphor is when they talk of "leaving". This being them talking about terminating their own existence.
I like to think that Adam and Genesis are two spirit beings who have watched the world grow and develop since the dawn of man (although they have no power to influence or change it in any way), but I hope that any meanings behind the play can be left open to interpretation and the audience can find their own meaning. I even went so far as to imply that they were beings that existed since creation by giving them the names I did. Adam being the first man created according to the Bible and Genesis being the first book of the Old Testament (which of course contains "In the beginning"). I thought about calling them Genesis and Revelations but that'd be too obvious.
I also made a conscious effort to bring the play around to completion by referencing the beginning. The second-to-last line is "It's funny isn't it". Which is also the first line. However, by the end of the play they can both agree whereas at the beginning, they could not.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90007 by
There is just ONE part of this I can't stand...

"
Genesis: Don’t be stupid. I don’t have a home. Neither do you. Neither does anyone. Home is just a word. A comfort. Something to make you feel safe, but you’re never safe, especially not when you’re in your “home”.
(In a childish, mocking voice)
Ooohhhhh home. Ooohhhh home. Home, home, home.
(In an aggressive tone)
There is no fucking home! Why are you more safe in your home than you are in this garden?"

Even in Absurdism theater, I hate it when people use it as an excuse to "say" things, rather than show it through characters.

Think about that.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90040 by

Connor Lidell wrote: I hate it when people use it as an excuse to "say" things, rather than show it through characters.

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean through a character's physical actions or through the actual character itself?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #90044 by
I mean saying that home is just a word, a comfort.

It's too in your face.. too direct. It gives us the meaning without making us work for it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #90046 by
No disrespect intended and forgive the tangent but if the guys were drinking beer during the discussion I'd be cracking up. :) :laugh: :cheer:

IMHO it doesn't need the F bombs.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #90047 by

Connor Lidell wrote: I mean saying that home is just a word, a comfort.

It's too in your face.. too direct. It gives us the meaning without making us work for it.

For this audience, yes I agree.

For the audience I wrote it for (my peers), I think it had ample subtlety. I appreciate your comment though.

Rickie The Grey wrote: IMHO it doesn't need the F bombs.

I think using them was a good way of showing not only the agression but the lack of restraint, care and forethought that Genesis has, that's a character feature that I feel was key.

I don't tend to use swear words unneccesarily when I write (unless it's lyrical). If I'm using them I ask myself if it's something that the character would geniuinely say and I think about if it actually has any meaning to it, which I think it does.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi