Advice/Brainstorming- what would you do with almost complete freedom?

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
14 Jun 2012 01:31 #63788 by ren
smartass :P

I would probably go teach linux to some kids in south america.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2012 03:58 - 14 Jun 2012 03:59 #63803 by
Thank you all for your replies!

@War Beauty- Very good ideas, thank you! I really like your enthusiasm, it is infectious, which is exactly what I need right now

@V-Tog-

I might also take the opportunity to say to myself "where is the one place/thing in the world that I really want to see but otherwise might never manage to visit?", and make a special trip to see it, money permitting.

I've been thinking about doing this, and it made me realize how much I try to hinder myself from doing the things I want to do. Right now is a great time to go someplace I may never have the chance to visit again. But the ultra-logical side of me is (metaphorically) hissing in my ear telling me not to take risks- I'll inevitably :huh: shoot myself in the foot. So it's something I need to work through

@RyuJin- that is interesting...do you think you would actually do it? That's kind of similar to making a pilgrimage, which is one thing I've considered doing. I think walking the Camino de Santiago would be amazing, but I'm pretty sure staying in Europe for 4-5 weeks is out of my budget xD. I could always walk the Appalachian trail and consider it a sort of Jedi pilgrimage to nowhere in particular :P

@Desolous- I'm glad you emphasized investing in yourself. It's something I've decided I must do the upcoming year, but how specifically, I haven't yet decided.

@Akkarin- haha, so long as I don't break the bank! I've always wanted to visit the U.K

@Phortis Nespin- YES. I understand your desire, there was a period of time when I was dead set on entering a Monastery, to the point of actually discussing ordination with the monastics and having an extended retreat at the monastery. I definitely think a monastery is good for recomposing oneself, but I find conflict to be the most effective method to learn about oneself. Which is something monasteries are not notorious for :) You should go on a monastic retreat though, I'm biased and will recommend visiting a Theravada Buddhist monastery- most operate solely on dana (donations), so there is no set price for staying with them- you give what you think they deserve. Plus Theravada philosophy is pretty logical in general.

@Adder- :laugh: Very true statement! I enjoy the fact you pulled from our training

@Ren- I'm pretty computer illiterate (I'm only now teaching myself html code), so I had to look up what Linux was. Very cool- I like the idea of making things free/accessible to all. How did you learn it- in school? Or did you teach yourself?
Last edit: 14 Jun 2012 03:59 by . Reason: Gotta bold it up

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2012 04:15 #63807 by
This is an idea that I haven't really seen voiced, so I guess I'll give it a shot: do nothing. You had to have some sort of stability to get to this point, and there is something to be said for keeping that stability. Now, I don't know what your job situation is, or how old you are, but I would keep working and saving and investing. This is probably the safest route, and while a lot of the other adventures would be fun, there's a Mohamed Ali quote that goes: "Pleasure is not happiness. It has no more importance than a shadow following a man."

So, while you say you're debt free and you have the next year to do whatever you want. Isn't that a good feeling? I would keep that, and work at it so it stays that way.

Now, if you hate your job or some other factor of your life, then I would go and find someplace/some job that I enjoy and do what I just described in the new situation, but if you're comfortable with your current life I don't see any reason to drastically change it. Add a new hobby, do something to make you happier, but don't leave the security that you currently have behind.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2012 20:34 #64162 by
save up...then splash out. lol. im terrible with money.:woohoo:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2012 20:48 #66651 by
This is definitely an interesting topic and I'm curious to see what you do. What do you want to do?

From personal experience I'm just coming back from a 6 month long free for all myself. I sold everything I owned (well pretty much donated it all really because of the short time frame) and moved to another state to prusue my dreams. It didn't turn out exactly how I expectide but I did accomplish what I set out to do and I am better for it. Even better, I had those worrisome thoughts about finances that you do but it all turned out okay. I guess the point is you never know what's going to happen. It's when you put your life on hold you get in trouble. Live it up and save or invest some of your money if that makes you feel better but atleast take a weekend to try something that you want to try.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2012 06:08 #66681 by
I'd split the 3K. 1K in a high interest savings account so there's a building block to start saving for the future, 1K on a relaxing holiday for myself and my fiancée and the final 1K doing some good. Maybe putting some of it into some form of eco' project. Not too sure, there are so many good causes.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2012 07:56 #66685 by
hmm, I would a bit of it on appliances/electronics, like a new laptop, go to a gathering or two, and stash the rest in a sock for hard times lol. I know, not very romantic or exciting, but it's what I'd do. (I'd also give a thousand to a guy named hellisforhorses 'cause he's so awesome! XD) lol j/k

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2012 01:23 #69938 by
I'd go and experience the world from other perspectives through travel to different cultures and then take some time away in a quiet, calm, idyllic place to reflect on what I have learned.

Although if you feel that this would give you much knowledge or enlightenment then take some time to think about what it is in this world that make you truly happy and use the money on/with/for whatever that may be.

Moderators: ZeroVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTaviKhwang