Why I dislike the BPI

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #52960 by
Why I dislike the BPI was created by
The BPI(British phonographic industry) is the trade association for the British record industry. A huge organization that pretty much controls the whole music industry in the United Kingdom. I adore music, spend much of my time listening to it and believe that some of the best music at the moment is made by some bands, on a small label, the ones that very few people have heard of, the ones who don't win awards, and make very little money. These artists have the potential to be huge, to win awards, and to have their records sold in huge quantities. Why aren't they? because the bpi does not allow them to. The BPI will pick artists that are signed by one of the major record labels that they preside over, they will promote this artist, get them played on national radio constantly, have them advertised every where. They will make it so every one has heard them, and then they will make the masses believe that this is the best artist out there and they need to buy their record. they will get them to the top of the charts, winning loads of awards. all the while leaving these small artists to suffer. the small artists are being ignored, only a small minority will have heard of them, and very few record stores will stock their album.

They then get mad at anyone who pirates music, they say it is killing the music industry, I find that hard to believe when people like Adele have sold over 17 million copies of her album 21. Many people can not afford to buy records any more, I have 21,000 songs if I had paid for them all, assuming they all cost roughly £6 or $9 and that all albums have 14 songs, I would have to have paid £9000 roughly $14,000, now that would have been a ridiculous amount to pay and how are the artists losing out, I wouldn't have paid that much so I wouldn't have bought their album, all it means is that I would not have been able to listen to it. And very often my listening to it will make me recommend them to a friend, they may buy the album, or download it and listen to it, recommend it to a friend maybe and then they may buy it... and so on. another major factor is that often i download an album because I have heard a couple of songs from it which I liked, after downloading and listening to it I can make a judgement on whether I want to buy it or not. piracy has lead to me buying a lot of albums, for my self or for a loved one, it has also made me go and buy tickets to see the band live. Through this they have made money, all because I pirated an album. But the BPI think that this is a huge problem, they don't want me to pirate anything, but if I did not do that I wouldn't be able to have access to good music. The radio nowadays is playing what the BPI wants them to play, which is often, in my opinion bad music, the little indie record stores have been ousted by all the big stores such as HMV. so were would I get my music from?

All in all the BPI are stopping many unheard and unsigned acts getting the recognition they deserve, stopping them from making money, stopping them from doing what they love and are good at, playing music. they stop the listener being able to listen to what they wan't to hear, only what they want you to hear. Sure they have helped many artists get stardom and have their dream come true, but only by ruining the dreams of all the other artists. Music should not be a huge money making industry, it should just be people doing what they enjoy, and getting paid what people think they deserve, and who says that you cant be a musician and have a job. Many artists have got on fine without the BPI so why do we need the BPI?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 1 month ago #52966 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Why I dislike the BPI
The BPI and other foreign equivalents are in fact cartels. They want easy profits, nothing else.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #52969 by
Replied by on topic Re: Why I dislike the BPI
they are a dangerous threat to music in my opinion and need less power, they are empowered by the people who buy their music, by not buying their music, download your music for free and if enough people do it they will be nothing. And legally the bpi are a non profit organization, yet don't act as one.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #52995 by
Well, the RIAA and the MPAA here in the states have been able to implant themselves into high government positions, so the States are royally screwed (SOPA/PIPA). I'm sorry, studios, if my pirating is causing you to have to downgrade from a Ferrari to a Porche. If it's causing you to have to downgrade from a 15 bedroom mansion to an 11 bedroom mansion (of which only one room is actually used). Please forgive me and others for causing you so much misery. God forbid you ever have to live in a small house driving a $25,000 car (I live in a crappy apartment and drive a $3,000 car that i'm still making payments on and I live a happy life).

..........I kind of lost track of where I was going with this, lol. Anyway, it's all about money. Maybe if they didn't hog so much money from the artists, the artists wouldn't be "suffering" (live a day in my shoes and you'll see what real financial suffering is).

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 1 month ago #52997 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Why I dislike the BPI
i would think a true artist would be thrilled and honored that people wanted their work...and historically artists were never rich...as an artist myself, i don't care if people copy my work as long as they credit me accordingly...of course i've never been motivated by greed...i've lived most of my life without large amounts of money and been happy...as the saying goes "mo' money, mo' problems"...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #52999 by
It would be cool to make a living off my music, but I don't have any unrealistic expectations. Most people would say my music is good! I hope to tour someday. I hope to have a moderate group of loyal fans, at least. There's so much I want to do in this life, though. Music isn't the only thing.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #53019 by
as Joss Stone said “It’s ok, if one person buys it, it’s totally cool, burn it up, share it with your friends, I don’t care. I don’t care how you hear it as long as you hear it." & "The only part about music that I dislike is the business that is attached to it. Now, if music is free, then there is no business, there is just music." (all from her piracy is great interview) I think if the money lovin' companies stopped stealing all the music then artists can actually get some money, and do what they love without any hassle.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 1 month ago #53020 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Why I dislike the BPI
before recordings existed, someone would hear a song/tune and copy it by playing it singing it themselves. That's how non-musicians could hear music. By getting it from people who'd copied it.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #53025 by

ren wrote: before recordings existed, someone would hear a song/tune and copy it by playing it singing it themselves. That's how non-musicians could hear music. By getting it from people who'd copied it.

those where the days when music was good and pure

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi