Contraception Coverage and Relgiious Organizations

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50024 by
I'm not a huge fan of excessive government regulation but laws do serve a purpose. At the same time, my opinion on the contraception is more rooted in the fact that the law already exists and has existed for quite some time. The new rule change simply removes an exemption that existed.

That being said, the existing insurance/healthcare dynamic in the US is heavily dependent on government action. If the government steps out of it the entire current healthcare structure falls apart and has to rebuild. While this might be a long term benefit in the next two decades it will result in a lot of suffering in the short term of the next ten to fifteen years.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 2 months ago #50025 by ren
OK, what is contraceptive insurance coverage? If your pill/condom fails they give you child support?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50030 by

ren wrote: OK, what is contraceptive insurance coverage? If your pill/condom fails they give you child support?

Its insurance covering the cost of birth control pills and plan b, that sort of thing.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 2 months ago #50039 by ren
The ability to procreate hardly qualifies as a medical condition. Why should there be insurance for that. I'm not in the pro-life camp but I'm certainly not in the pro-insurance-should-pay-for-my-condoms camp either.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 months ago #50045 by
In the first case condoms are a few dollars a box and can be held onto a year or more if they go unused. Birth control pills are anywhere from $20-$50 a month on average depending on the type needed and must be taken every day or its ineffective. While in more affluent demographics that cost isn't much, in lower income homes it can be the difference between eating or contraceptive. Not all birth control works for all women. Further, many women benefit from birth control separately in that it regulates hormone levels and leads to fewer health complications in that regard.

Further, physical birth control aids, such as diaphragms, while definitely a good addition to prevent pregnancy are not effective at a high enough rate to depend on one absent the birth control pills. There are male birth control pills as well and most contraceptive plans cover them but most men aren't willing to take them for reasons I'm unsure of. Many insurance plans do actually cover condoms as well but few people look into it because it usually requires mail ordering them through a preferred provider and most people prefer to just buy them over the counter as their cost is quite low.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi