• User
    Inactive
  • the circle is now complete
More
15 years 9 months ago #16693 by Garm
Man gets bionic arms after fireworks accident
07/01/08
Reported by: Sarah Kapic

In July of 2007, Jason Henderson's life changed in the blink of an eye.

Both of his arms were lost in a fireworks explosion.

He went through several months with no arms at all, until he eventually started rehabilitation at United Rehab and used body powered hooks.

\"When he started with us, he was completely dependent with everything he did. Whether it be dressing, or bathing,\" said Carol Kisner, a hand therapist at United Rehab.

Despite the adversity, Henderson was able to learn to use the hooks quickly.

Several months later, Henderson's rehab turned high-tech.
Insurance money helped pay for two I-limbs made by Touch Bionics.

Henderson says each one costs more than $50,000 and he's the only person in the world to have two of them.

Here's how they work: an signal in the brain tells the prosthetic to move the muscles and fingers of the I-limb.
Currently, Henderson is re-learning how to do daily tasks such as eating, shaving and other activities that improve his motor skills.

Owning his own heavy construction business is a goal of Henderson's in the future and says he couldn't have made it this far without the help of his rehab team and of course, his family.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16694 by
I terms of technology I am very surprised well, more shocked, that we are not more advanced than we currently seem to be.

One of my uncles worked in this field and he said it was massively underfunded.

Its a shame, I know all medical research is valuable, but its a pity this field is largely neglected.

Good to see someone benefit, there is a case of a UK guy who's recently been fitted with cybernetic 'Eye' and seems to be working well for him.

It goes to show one should never lose hope.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16751 by
I actually have a bit of an interest in prosthetics. The concept of giving a limb to someone who doesn't have one (or has very little of one) is intriguing, and seems like a good cause. I especially like how they're advancing, and I wonder how long it will be until we create artificial limbs that can be powered with energy provided by the body itself - or, at least, directed with the commands by the nerves (if that's not already possible).

I'm also intrigued with the phantom limb phenomenon. Primarily because it could probably assist with the way once can control artificial limbs...

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this stuff, by a long shot. :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16773 by
From my understanding of the technology, those with the phantom limbs make better recipients for the nerve inductor limbs as the brain is still wired for use of the limb if you like.

I can explain the phantom limb but its complicated, but its kind of like the brain has pockets that deal with individual parts, lose a part and the pocket suddenly become unemployed, the brain cant figure this out so it finds work for the non existent nerves. Believe it or not, but those with painful phantom limbs find relief in seeing a reflection of themselves with a false limb, a powerful demonstration of how the mind can play tricks with itself.

I have done a far bit of research on prosthetics myself for personal reasons, I was also considered for spinal cord stimulation (a pacemaker that shocks the spine instead of the heart) butfor various reasons didnt get it in the end.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16818 by
Hey, don't hesitate to explain anything around me, I love hearing stuff like this.

I also wonder if the phantom limb issue could allow for certain heightened awareness... or action... maybe a means for them to awaken psychokinesis?

...Forgive me for the assumption, but I'm seriously thinking holt kazed here.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi