PC Builds / Technology

More
3 years 7 months ago #354087 by ZealotX
I used to build all my PCs but since the rise of the lap top I've been mostly just buying those. But now... I decided it was time to build a PC that my gaming laptop can't compete with. To some extent it's because I want to run Cyberpunk 2077 but beyond that I want to build something that can handle VR applications for at least the next 5 years.

I decided to start with a Ryzen 7 3700X with an ASUS ROG Strix X570-E because I really like Asus products. This is my core.

And I debated the processor choice because of course it always depends on where the bottleneck for your build is going to be. It's not necessarily going to benefit you to get the best/fastest processor. I could get a threadripper, but why if I can't get all of that performance? And I used to like AMD more but then I had to stick more so with Intel for the sake of compatibility. So happy to be going back to AMD.

So the big question now is... graphics card.

Amazingly, I forgot to order a power supply, but ... according to an article I just read today maybe that's a good thing. I was planning to put off a graphics card purchase until maybe as late as November. And as I debated between a GeForce RTX 2070 super and a RTX 2080 suddenly I hear about Ampere and how that's pushing out 30% more performance than the RTX 2808 ti and so I'm thinking maybe I should wait and go with that. Even if I don't buy it, it will at least drive the last generation's prices down.

I also read that ampere may have much higher power consumption needs so I might have to get a new power supply anyway.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi