Lightsaber - Sound or No?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300057 by
Lightsaber - Sound or No? was created by
I'm looking into getting my very first lightsaber from Ultra Sabers. I'm willing to spend the extra $100 for sound if I really want it, but I'm not sure if I do. It would be really neat to have the saber make realistic sounds when I turn it on/off and move it through the air. I don't have anyone to duel with, but I'd like to learn some spinning tricks and the sound would probably be a plus for that. But I also want to just sit quietly with the saber sometimes and use it during meditation, so I don't know if the sound would annoy me then or if, again, the realism would be a plus. Thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300058 by
Replied by on topic Lightsaber - Sound or No?
Oh, and this is the only saber I'm planning to buy, so I really want to make the right choice!

More
6 years 6 months ago #300059 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Lightsaber - Sound or No?
Buy Ultra's hilts if you really like them that much, but layout the electronics yourself. 100$ is reasonable for a pre-made custom sound board and all the other electronics that come with it combined, but on that budget you can get a significantly better board than Ultra's (for instance the Plecter Labs' Nano Biscotte) and actually seat and wire it well (i.e. soldering instead of taping wires together, having an actual holding chassis instead of suspending the entire board in heatshrink rubber, having a mechanically fixed collimmator lens instead of a glued on reflector, the list of UltraSabers horror stories goes on...) in your hilt. If it's all about making the "right choice", UltraSabers just isn't it. They are the cheap choice, the easy, and the tempting choice, but they do know how to handle a lathe so their parts are ok, and even TCSS compatible (despite that violating Tim's patent), so while I caution against making any business with them in general, their hilts as a product in particular are alright if you like that style.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300069 by
Ultrasabers sound is pretty good. I'd always recommend getting sound installed, as the soundboard also controls the lighting effects, allowing for a more ignition lighting. Without even the cheapest soundboard, the saber powers on the same as any flashlight. ;P I found that out the hard way.

As for custom installs... they're worth it, but you have to either do it yourself (so you need to know how to do it and have the tools for it (soldering kit and tools) or find someone who can do it. Many custom installs done by professionals can take months to complete.

So if you want a good saber with good sound, yeah, pitch that extra money at the soundboard already installed. If you want to upgrade the soundboard down the line, you can always do that.

More
6 years 6 months ago #300076 by Kobos
Replied by Kobos on topic Lightsaber - Sound or No?
Mine and yours make great flashlights in an emergency though Ari! but yea go with sound!

What has to come ? Will my heart grow numb ?
How will I save the world ? By using my mind like a gun
Seems a better weapon, 'cause everybody got heat
I know I carry mine, since the last time I got beat
MF DOOM Books of War

Training Masters: Carlos.Martinez3 and JLSpinner
TB:Nakis
Knight of the Conclave
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300077 by

Kobos wrote: Mine and yours make great flashlights in an emergency though Ari! but yea go with sound!

Lol, I legit use it as a awesome flashlight if I need to go around the house late at night, rather than turn on and off lights. XD

More
6 years 6 months ago #300078 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Lightsaber - Sound or No?
Ultrasabers has some of the best sound boards available, the Obsidian V4 is a beast, well worth the extra money...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kobos, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #300096 by
My first (and currently only) saber is a Acolyte from Saber Forge. It doesn't have sound and I find myself wishing it did. Without sound it just feel like holding a flashlight. It just doesn't have that magic feel to it.
So it's really up to you, go with something simple, or shell out a little more for a little dazzlement.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300099 by
Thanks, everyone, your replies were really helpful. Going with sound!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 6 months ago #300107 by
My training Saber has no sound. At the time it wasn't cost effective. My final saber will have sound.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi