Trial by Nightmare

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287293 by
Trial by Nightmare was created by
Since starting the Initiate Program my nights have been spent enduring life or death trials. My dreams are riddled with nightmare apocalyptic scenarios. It's like my own mind is flinging me into these intense situations just to see how I will react. Has anyone else had to battle their sub conscious on a nightly basis after stepping onto the Jedi path? Just curious.

(if this is in the wrong area, I apologize)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287294 by
Replied by on topic Trial by Nightmare
When I was about halfway (?) through the IP, I had similar issues involving some sort of presence in my house. With some counselling from a wonderful Knight here in the Temple and realising it had no power over me (and putting some verses on my walls) the events plaguing me went away. Perhaps try finding the root of your nightmares? They're usually caused by something happening in your daily life.

More
6 years 10 months ago #287295 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic Trial by Nightmare
Though by no means an expert, I've been studying dreams for more than half my life.

Dreams are very personal reflections of your hopes/fears/fantasies, all jumbled up with images and ideas you've seen in waking life over the last little while. It's your brain processing things.

So, if you see your path as one of trials and battles (either you hope they are, or fear they are, or fantasize they are), then that's what your brain will interpret them as it processes your days.

Personally, I often have adventurous dreams where I need to be the hero and risk my life/safety for others. I know it's because I fantasize about being a hero and because I read/play a lot of action-adventures.

Only you can interpret your own dreams, but doing so requires that you know yourself.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 10 months ago #287296 by Rosalyn J
Replied by Rosalyn J on topic Trial by Nightmare
Hiya,

I am also no expert on the matter, but if these nightmares are a matter of personal distress that are affecting your daily life, I recommend the resources of a professional counselor.

You may be experiencing an increased load of stress. In addition to beginning the IP, what has changed in your personal life?

Consider your nightly routine as well. Is there a lot of stimuli before bed? If so, change that. Do you sleep with the television or computer on? Your mind doesn't shut down in those cases, which may likely be bringing up the dreams.

Meditate, meditate, meditate. Whatever it is that may have been bothering you during the day, don't let it follow you to your pillow. Pick a time to lay that down sometime before bed. Find a way to relax your body and mind in preperation for sleep and do that.
Keep us updated, ok?

Pax Per Ministerium
[img

The following user(s) said Thank You: FTPC,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287320 by

Arisaig wrote: When I was about halfway (?) through the IP, I had similar issues involving some sort of presence in my house. With some counselling from a wonderful Knight here in the Temple and realising it had no power over me (and putting some verses on my walls) the events plaguing me went away. Perhaps try finding the root of your nightmares? They're usually caused by something happening in your daily life.

They most likely has to do with that little shred of doubt about my ability to attain and maintain a Jedi status. Or maybe not. Dreams are such slippery things. It's just been so odd to have all these dream scenarios heaped upon me in the past few days. Was just wondering if anyone else had such experiences. Glad to hear you overcame what plagued you. It's always nice to have help during such trials. Thanks so much for sharing, Arisaig.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #287321 by

Leah Starspectre wrote: Though by no means an expert, I've been studying dreams for more than half my life.

Dreams are very personal reflections of your hopes/fears/fantasies, all jumbled up with images and ideas you've seen in waking life over the last little while. It's your brain processing things.

So, if you see your path as one of trials and battles (either you hope they are, or fear they are, or fantasize they are), then that's what your brain will interpret them as it processes your days.

Personally, I often have adventurous dreams where I need to be the hero and risk my life/safety for others. I know it's because I fantasize about being a hero and because I read/play a lot of action-adventures.

Only you can interpret your own dreams, but doing so requires that you know yourself.

I typically have adventurous dreams as well and more often than not make all kinds of personal sacrifices to help others, which is why this onset of nightmares is strange. I have been thinking on them and sifting positive messages out of them where I can, trying to find ways to use those messages to benefit my awakened life. I guess that at the base of it all, they are attempting to help me to know myself better.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #287323 by

Rosalyn J wrote: Hiya,

I am also no expert on the matter, but if these nightmares are a matter of personal distress that are affecting your daily life, I recommend the resources of a professional counselor.

You may be experiencing an increased load of stress. In addition to beginning the IP, what has changed in your personal life?

Consider your nightly routine as well. Is there a lot of stimuli before bed? If so, change that. Do you sleep with the television or computer on? Your mind doesn't shut down in those cases, which may likely be bringing up the dreams.

Meditate, meditate, meditate. Whatever it is that may have been bothering you during the day, don't let it follow you to your pillow. Pick a time to lay that down sometime before bed. Find a way to relax your body and mind in preparation for sleep and do that.
Keep us updated, ok?

The nightmares aren't a matter of distress. They've just come suddenly and strangely into my nights but thank you for the advice. I promise to see a professional counselor if the dreams become intolerable. Recent changes? I have just finished the first year of a three year degree program. Perhaps the nightmares are a case of an idle mind taking drastic measures to occupy itself?

As for my nightly routine I try to shut off and unplug all unnecessary electrical devices in the immediate area, except for the radio, at least a half hour before bed time. I listen to classical music to fall asleep, it sort of overpowers any thoughts that try to trickle into my mind. I will meditate after I unplug tonight, and maybe diffuse some lavender into the room to help relax.

Thank you for all your advice and help. I will be nightmare free tonight.

ps. sorry for posting three times in a row, I don't know how to multiquote.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by . Reason: to add a ps

More
6 years 10 months ago #287408 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Trial by Nightmare

Mythos wrote:

Arisaig wrote: When I was about halfway (?) through the IP, I had similar issues involving some sort of presence in my house. With some counselling from a wonderful Knight here in the Temple and realising it had no power over me (and putting some verses on my walls) the events plaguing me went away. Perhaps try finding the root of your nightmares? They're usually caused by something happening in your daily life.

They most likely has to do with that little shred of doubt about my ability to attain and maintain a Jedi status. Or maybe not. Dreams are such slippery things. It's just been so odd to have all these dream scenarios heaped upon me in the past few days. Was just wondering if anyone else had such experiences. Glad to hear you overcame what plagued you. It's always nice to have help during such trials. Thanks so much for sharing, Arisaig.

From a similar experience many, many years ago, I would say you are trying too hard to impose your expectations of what a Jedi is or should be onto your perceived sense of self.

Keep in mind that the "Jedi" label is there to serve you, not the other way around.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #287485 by
Thank you Manu. I will remember that when I feel that doubt creeping up on me.

I have not had nightmares for two nights now. Thank you all for your patience, compassion, and wise words.
:)
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by . Reason: Give proper credit to Manu.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi