The Radicalization of Luke Skywalker

More
8 years 4 months ago #213993 by Locksley
Now, as a student of film theory who works in that medium I have to say I love things like this. But it's also just funny, so I think it can fit here. ;)

http://decider.com/2015/12/11/the-radicalization-of-luke-skywalker-a-jedis-path-to-jihad/

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: Breeze el Tierno, Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #213997 by Adder
:ohmy:
I don't :pinch:
:laugh:

Poor Luke, if only he'd let R2D2 wander off he would have avoided being recruited into such a struggle..... and got fragged by the Empire instead
:P

But yea, these do seem popular don't they!

I reckon there are a few problems with it. I'm not sure Luke Skywalker ever conducted terrorism in the movies, at least not if you define it as attacking civilian targets to create fear in the population so they no longer trust their government to protect them, and to invite a cycle of conflict to further divide and focus attention to support their struggle. The Death Star was certainly portrayed as a military installation, and a nasty one at that. With the failure in the main premise, the rest of the article sort of continues to miss the mark, IMO.

Luke really only seemed interested once his carer's were slaughtered by the Empire. Obviously he was caught up in something bigger them himself. Plus, Luke had nowhere else to go once that had happened, and would at that time be connected to the droids by the Empire - so was already a target! What other option did Obi-Wan have but to drag Luke along?
The next point... the only person Obi-Wan sacrifices by dying is himself. While technically yes it probably would be an act of martyrdom, it is a pacifist one of non-violence and the decision to kill Obi-Wan falls squarely on Vader's shoulders who swung the blade at the supplicated Obi-Wan. By no real measure I'm aware of was the Rebel Alliance in any way a terrorist group. Rebel yes, insurgent not really, terrorist no. There are differences to be found in those terms, IMO.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley, Breeze el Tierno, OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 4 months ago #214122 by Locksley
Hahah I love your analysis. And yeah, most of thee articles miss the mark to some degree or another, but what I think I like the most about them is that they get you thinking differently about something that's dear to you, even if only so that you can refute it.

I'd say that the satire just slides a little under the radar at times, due to how they wrote the piece, and the subject matter. For instance, there was very little 'accidental' about the deaths of Luke's aunt and uncle. :pinch:

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: Breeze el Tierno

More
8 years 4 months ago #214204 by OB1Shinobi
i enjoyed it

i think it allows one the opportunity to see how rhetoric can be used to distort the truth

if you go through the article and pull out each of the claims made by the author and then watch the films, its clear that the claims dont really add up

i would say its about as accurate as most mainstream news lol

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #214224 by
I have to admit that while watching 'A New Hope' last night I kept noticing how quickly Luke (and others) took to saying 'May the Force Be With You' despite the fact that as far as anyone new the last Jedi in the galaxy was an old hermit that hid in the desert. Even rebels were saying it to each other before launching the attack on the Death Star. Why? They aren't Jedi...

More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #214248 by OB1Shinobi
i dont believe i "God" but i still say "bless you" when someone sneezes

sometimes even "god bless you"

and "may the force be with you" sounds cool in any universe

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi