At-Home Martial Arts

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #90014 by
Replied by on topic Re: At-Home Martial Arts
You gotta do what you gotta do . . . a person won't always be inside their safety zone, and sometimes words won't get them out of it so it helps to know defense. You'd be surprised how powerful words can be though.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #90018 by
I'm with Andy on this one. The idea of going back to being unfit scares me, and I'm not even fully fit yet. I like the idea of being able to defend myself if I can't find a beer bottle or star picket nearby. Even if it something as not-so-street-practical as Taekwondo.

That being said, I used to be able to talk my way out of trouble at the liquor store I used to work at in the bad part of town. And wormed my way out of a mugging.

I remember TKD fondly, and I'd like to pair that with who I am now. Self-defence, learning something, fitness, agility? It's all good stuff. I've got a few documents now, I'm going to just re-run the drills I learned, maybe pick up a few more, and work on the form for the stuff I remember.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #90033 by
Define the purpose of martial arts. Sorry I had to say that.

I was a wimp,lacked confidence and passive. I was not comfortable with feeling aggressive and avoided conflice. I was niave.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. A dog in a fight is fearless. Martial Arts help me find and get at peace with the dog in me. Yes I got my butt kicked and a few minor injuries but when I found the dog fight in me I defeated people bigger,stronge, faster and more skilled then me. Not that often but often enough to experience the "flow".

I found confidence. I learned to supress my fears and anxieties and act bodly and do well in circumstances I would never ventured into. I have strenght of spirit and can projected strength when needed. I'm not talking about fighting now I talking about facing the adversifies of life and challanging myself to do stuff out of my comfort zone.

Living life without fear and/or mastering my fear is what I got from the Martial Arts.

Kata is practice and can be done so well to the call it a dance was not an insult. Combat is the pressure that holds the sword to the grinding stone to sharpen it's edge.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi