Problems with... Feet?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #50537 by
Problems with... Feet? was created by
Yes, the subject seems strange, but allow me to explain.

I have always had a fascination with martial arts: it's the only physical activity that's ever interested me. I have been in taekwondo before, and I plan to begin taekwondo training again soon, and perhaps kenpo. An issue I have though, is my feet.

Obviously, flexibility is important in martial arts in all parts of the body, including feet. My problem is that whenever I try to flex either of my feet in a way that doesn't resemble the position they're in while standing or walking, I am crippled by a startlingly painful cramp in the back of my ankle. I can't point my feet for this reason, which would be a problem while kicking or sitting on my knees. I've tried rotating and stretching my ankle and calf, and I've taken potassium tablets, but the issue remains.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they knew of any remedies I could try. If the pain were less I would just deal with it until I built up the flexibility, but I don't think that's the issue nor the solution.

Thanks for your help and may the Force be with you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 3 months ago #50560 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Problems with... Feet?
As a 10 year practioner, and 3.5 year instructor of TKD, it sounds like you just need to stretch them.....

First, have you talked to your instructor? That is part of our job...:)

With just words, its tough to really tell what's going on....

So a little more info...

Walking, your legs/feet form kind of an "L"....

From the description it sounds like for a roundhouse(?), where new school teaches "point your toes" and thereby hitting with the top of you foot...

I never have my students "point" their toes while stretching... I tell them to "pull the toes back" when stretching to lengthen the calf muscles....~MTFBWY~

In the back of the ankel?.... Maybe its a ligament issue.....

The ankles are on the side of the foot which allow your foot to move up and down.... There is not a great range of motion for the foot...

To you mean the back of the foot? The internet really sucks for some stuff... lol...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #50576 by
Replied by on topic Re: Problems with... Feet?
Sounds like you need a good massage therapist as well as to stretch

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 3 months ago #50592 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Problems with... Feet?
drink lots of water...sometimes simply not having enough water can cause muscles to cramp when you try to stretch them...this happens to me on occassion when i don't drink enough water...it could also be a combination of things...lack of flexability,lack of hydration,excessive tension...muscles work best when they are properly hydrated and relaxed...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #50622 by
Replied by on topic Re: Problems with... Feet?
Okay, maybe not an issue to attempt solving on the internet. Maybe it is just a stretching issue. I haven't begun classes yet, so I don't yet have an instructor to talk to, but I will when I do. Thanks for the help, may the Force be with you.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi