Meditation - so easy! NOT!

More
12 years 4 months ago #46227 by Adder
I do about 3 or 4 times a week. I think the empty mind approach is a technique to practise controlling your thoughts and not the goal of medititation itself. I personally meditate to achieve 2 things; a. improve my meditative skills, and b. visualize the Force.

I spent a few years doing many meditations in the conventional manner using such things as full lotus, incense, rythmic music, guided meditations etc. It was the start I needed, but the benefits for me came after those few years at which point I realized all those things were props only to facilitate progress and I didnt need them anymore to continue making progress with meditation - in fact they now represent that phase of my life more then anything, and I find I began to locate the use other items which had more meaningfulness to where my progress was up too.

Through meditation I feel like I gain access to the Force and through that I can learn more about it and possibly do things like healing etc.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46273 by
Replied by on topic Re: Meditation - so easy! NOT!
I found a few moments to meditate last night. Mostly it was an opportunity to see if I could find a comfortable posture for meditation – a chair and a little corner of my living room sufficed.

What I mostly discovered is just how out of alignment my body is. My chin was thrust forward, I was leaning forward, my feet were turned in, my hands tense … etc, etc. So, I spent most of my time adjusting how I sat, how I held my head (my face felt uneven!), moving my feet to get them into a posture where they could relax and so on. I did a little breathing, but not much.

Really, it was actually pretty successful, in terms of learning to be aware of my own body as the first step to getting more aware of myself in totality. I have a christmass tree and it was nice to meditate with the colored lights and all.

Oh! I found the meditation site that I'm liking so far! It's 'Wildmind' http://www.wildmind.org/posture

It's a good basic, not esoteric meditation resource site. I'm mostly focused on the posture section right now – the section is really helpful, it talks about the physical why for making sure your posture is good. It goes through the different parts of the body; head, arms etc and also shows you how to create a 'meditation chair' that doesn't involve buying something! Since I'm broke this is good.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46315 by
I do moving meditation (Yoga) once a week, but I definitely want to start meditating in the morning for about 10 minutes.

I really liked the 7 myths about meditation posted on this site. I finally read it and am going to try meditation again tomorrow morning.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #46318 by
I've done yoga in the past and it was ... okay, it wasn't so much for me because I'm so tense it's hard to manage the poses. I like Tai Chi better but I can't find a class or a practice to go to - but the Taoist Temple here has Quigong on Sundays so I'm going to try a couple of classes and see if it works for me.

I just want to learn to do relaxation meditation in particular, and to start having meditation be a daily thing I do - a habit. Everything I've ever read about meditation says it's good for ... pretty much everyone, for all sorts of things so I really want to make use of that.

Learn_To_Know wrote: I do moving meditation (Yoga) once a week, but I definitely want to start meditating in the morning for about 10 minutes.

I really liked the 7 myths about meditation posted on this site. I finally read it and am going to try meditation again tomorrow morning.

I liked the 7 myths too but I kind of think that not recognizing the meditation can be a little difficult sometimes sets people up for failure - they feel if they don't 'get it' right away that it isn't real, or they can't do it.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46327 by

ren wrote: Common misconception...

Meditation is NOT about emptying one's mind, it is in fact supposed to fill it. With the right things. You meditate upon SOMETHING. Always.

I disagree in one aspect... The training of clearing one's mind, in my opinion, should be the first step. Of course, it is impossible to completely go brain dead in meditation, because then what would be the point of mindfulness? Setting one's thoughts aside to clear the mind, paves the way for focused intent.. Then you may meditate, UPON something. Yet, often times, solutions are not found by focusing on a problem to begin with. If our minds are to be filled with thoughts in meditation, how then does it compare to real life? Furthermore, to fill our minds with the right things, shouldn't we first empty it of the bad things (and at least try to wash it out cuz it's dirty)?
I find the more empty meditation I do, the more I am at peace with my surroundings. I then feel I can progress in my meditation with my best foot forward.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 4 months ago #46331 by RyuJin
meditation simply provides you with what you need, whether it's answers to a question, clarity on a topic, peace of mind, etc... oftentimes it provides us with what we didn't know we needed until we have it...there are several forms...sitting, active, etc...i've found that it's useful to practice multiple forms as you can't always just sit down and meditate...and recently i've discovered that i can do sitting meditation for up to 2 hours at a time with no discomfort in my knees or lower back (i've previously never attempted more then 15 mins), i've been able to do active meditation for whole days (it's amazing how fast the day passes when you do)

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46404 by
This is something I used to do on a fairly regular basis. I had some really interesting experiences with it.
But I know with me, sitting and meditating in an upright position, never works. I feel like I'm spending more of my mental energy trying to keep me from slouching. :/
I did start doing more meditation exercises sitting in a comfortable chair and perhaps on the floor up against my couch.
I tried to follow different suggestions but had a really hard time.
So, I ended up finding this mantra that works for me:
"There is no past, there is no future, there is only now."
And focus on slowing my breathing down and relaxing my muscles. And from there, if I've done it regularly, I can work on different things.
But I really have done this in a while, I just know it used to work fairly well for me.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46408 by
I've had similar problems with posture and this site has been very useful www.wildmind.org/posture look at the meditating in a chair part - they talk about how to get your posture right so that you're not spending forever dealing with it.

Jenn wrote: This is something I used to do on a fairly regular basis. I had some really interesting experiences with it.
But I know with me, sitting and meditating in an upright position, never works. I feel like I'm spending more of my mental energy trying to keep me from slouching. :/
I did start doing more meditation exercises sitting in a comfortable chair and perhaps on the floor up against my couch.
I tried to follow different suggestions but had a really hard time.
So, I ended up finding this mantra that works for me:
"There is no past, there is no future, there is only now."
And focus on slowing my breathing down and relaxing my muscles. And from there, if I've done it regularly, I can work on different things.
But I really have done this in a while, I just know it used to work fairly well for me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46413 by
I meditate every evening about 10 to 15 minutes. I don't know exactly because I don't look at a clock. I started meditating in summer of this year and since then I tried very different forms.
At first Tai Chi-meditation where you try to clean your mind from each thought and think about nothing. That was not the best way for me.
Then I "meditated" along the lines of Dr. Joseph Murphy. He wrote an interesting book: "The Power of Your Subconscious Mind". So I tried to use my subconscious mind to make my life become better and my wishes become true. This method worked very good for me and I still practice it.
And now I also use the version of Alan Watts to meditate.
Often I sit relaxed in my bed and meditate, but sometimes I lay down.

During the day I suddenly gaze at something and simply "allow" my mind and my eyes to relax. It is a kind of security to protect my brain or body from overload. My thoughts stop or better I let they flow away, but after this break I still know where I have stopped.
It is a wonderful feeling and after it I can concentrate better.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #48626 by
I meditate at least once every day. As a college student with ADHD, I often have a hard time concentrating on schoolwork or any other tasks at hand. Meditation allows me to block out worldly distractions and focus on what's within me.

I have a suggestion to all who meditate, try listening to some relaxing music whether it be some amazing vocalist or the sound of waves. Music has a way of leading us elsewhere, into our own little niche. Each one of us, has a track that is compatible with our soul and strengthens our mental spirits.

I usually listen to Origa, a Russian vocalist from Japan. Enjoy!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi