postures and their effects

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 11 months ago #38895 by
after some discussion and reading in various forums and journals, it seems that alot of people have been discussing postures of the body that various beliefs use and their effects on one's mental states and why they effect people in the way that they do so I chose to start this thread for some discussion on this topic as I have used various positions and postures through various spiritual practices and meditations but never took much time to think about why they worked.please feel free to post your own experiences with this topic as well as your viewpoints and what you have "learned" as well and i will post some of the postures that i use and their effects upon me soon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 11 months ago #38902 by
Replied by on topic Re: postures and their effects
Greetings Jarin San

From my own point of view I suppose it depends on what you are doing or what you are trying to achieve at any given time.

When meditating I either sit cross legged with a straight back or kneeling on both knees sitting on my heels. I think there has to be a fine balance as in all things as long as the individual is comfortable and can breathe freely.

In everyday activities I think one should hold ones head level and not look down. The teenager slumped shoulders 'Kevin' posture should be avoided ...unless being told off by a woman lol Joking of course.

As you indicate, Shy or nervous people would most likely hold their heads low and avoid contact.A bully for instance,would most likely walk with some sort of swagger,but would most likely flinch if met with a steady but soft look from a confident person ,a Jedi for instance.

A simple smile could be considered posture a visible posture of happiness and contentment. I have posted in my More or Less discussion that bowing to another should be with respect and honor.

Children that I teach pick up on body language. They may not understand all of what ons says,but I do know they will know what sort of mood you are in.

Well that's my bit done :)

Yours in the Spirit of Budo

Mike

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #38929 by
Replied by on topic Re: postures and their effects
ty mike a very good start to this thread. And i definitely agree that ones body posture i determined by what they are doing or trying to achieve as you stated in your post. For meditation, i have four differemt postures i use each with their own effects. I use the cross-legged posture like you mentioned as well as the half-lotus, lazy dragon and full dragon postures. the cross-legged I use most as a contemplation posture as it seems to be natural for me. The half-lotus posture i tend to use during prayers because it seems to have a calming effect upon me. The lazy dragon,which consists of having your feet "top down" straight on the floor then sitting on ones heels, i tend to use for spiritual practices that will require me being in one place for extended periods of time such as Dhikr,mantrawork,etc. This posture has a slight energizing effect for me..possible cause of how i associate it alot with Dhikr,the Sufi ritual of remembrance of Allah(ie God,the Force,etc.) which raises a great deal of spiritual energy if done properly. The last posture of these four that I use is the full dragon which to me is the hardest one to maintain. Its where your toes are flat on the ground but your heels are pointed straight up. almost as if it makes a L shape. you then sit on your heels and keeping your spine straight you balance there. I tend to use this posture for brief things that need strong energy dedicated to it. I often combined this with the hindu form of fire-breathing that some of the yogis use to increase energy for things like sending out healing thoughts or prayers,etc.
there is one other posture i often use for gaining my center(grounding). I often picture the Force as the earth and myself as a giant oak tree. My feet and legs are the roots connecting me to the Force. My body stands tall and strong yet flexible as the vessel of the Force. My arms are the branches which shows the born fruit of the Force in what actions I take. My heart is the essence of the Force that lays within all of manifestated creation. My head are the leaves that protect the rest of the tree and guides it.As i envision this, I sense the energy of the Force flowing around me then flowing through my feet into each of the parts i mentioned above until eventually it is flowing throughout me and out of me and everything around me.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi