Any \"Killer\" work-out tips?

More
14 years 6 months ago #26297 by Angelus
If anyones got any \"killer\" work-out tips that they can share for both fitness and muscle building training. Please share your secrets with me! :) I might just share a few my own!

Jedi Knight
Former Masters: Mark Anjuu, Zanthan Storm, Br. John, Grom Fett

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 6 months ago #26300 by RyuJin
here's one strategy i used to \"crash course\" in 2 weeks prior to trying out for an arena league football team...while i didn't make the team i had a very good showing against other players that had just got out of college football as well as other players that had just been released by nfl teams...
use ankle weights on your ankles and wrists and perform your normal daily activities, gradually increase the weight as you get use to it. i still use this strategy at work every night...

another workout i use is the \"300\" workout which can be found in sept. 2009 issue of fitnessRx magazine...i've been doing it for about 2 weeks now and after each workout i feel it :ohmy: it developes strength as well as stamina.

i also do a streamlined weight training routine: 3 sets 10 reps dumbell rows, ezbar curls, tricep extensions (while standing), lat pull downs (front and back), hanging leg raises...i do the same number of sets / reps for each exercise increasing weight after a week or 2...

i've recently added a new ab routine and i've started practicing yoga...the trick is to have a different workout for each day of the week so you don't plateau or get bored... along with those fitness workouts i still add in martial arts practice..

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26302 by
As your still young and growing Angelus - you need to be aware of different pros n cons to each exercise dependant upon your age and physique.

When I was in my late teens - I never did any hamster wheel style exercise (the gym to the rest of you) - but at least once a week I played tennis (semi competitive), Body boarding, Martial arts, and as I never learned to drive - I always either walked or cycled everywhere (and if i wasnt cycling for transport I was for fun in terms of mountain biking)

Also being as college (and latterly university) I always had a tonne of books and kit in a rucksack and the extra loads massively boosted muscle development.

So if the gym isnt your thing (and it was never mine) - there are plenty of options - but exercise on its own isnt the only solution, you need to sort out diet as well. The human body is a complex machine and needs fuel to suit (it sure as hell doesnt need steroids or fake and expensive body building powders)

MTFBWY - A

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
14 years 6 months ago #26309 by RyuJin
a side effect of the ankle/wrist weight tactic i mentioned previously is that it will cause you to develop better body awareness, since you have to consciously monitor your movements at first or you end up breaking things, knocking things over,or hurting yourself do to the extra weight at your extremeties...Kana is right about the \"hamster wheel\" routine not being for everyone (setting down my hamster pellets):P walking and cycling are good exercises as well, but likewise not for everyone...personally i can't ride bikes or run anymore, the repetitive movements of cycling is bad for my knees and running is too high impact for them (6 years of prep football along with all the track runnin i did in the navy took its toll) swimming is another good exercise and its no impact.

the key to a good workout is simply knowing what your body can handle and what it needs, then pushing the limits just a little to increase them.

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)

More
14 years 6 months ago #26310 by Alethea Thompson
Everyone has a different body type as well, which is something to consider when you are working out.

I read an article recently in TIME Magazine that outlined why exercising with extreme vigor can make you gain pounds rather than loose them.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html

You might read over it to get an idea of how to spread your workout throughout the day.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
14 years 6 months ago #26311 by RyuJin
true most often if you do the wrong type of workout you will gain weight though it will be muscle weight...to lose weight and burn fat its best to do an aerobic type workout (low weight high reps) to gain mass high weight low reps... i do a modified system that burns fat and builds mass since my body type doesn't allow me to become defined no matter how many reps i do...simply working with what i've got...

Quotes:

More
14 years 6 months ago #26313 by Alethea Thompson
RyuJin, if you read the article, it suggests otherwise. That working out vigorously will actually make you gain fat.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi