Qigong or Tai Chi?

More
6 years 2 months ago #315721 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Qigong or Tai Chi?
Qi Gong, but I am still learning.

rugadd

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 2 months ago #315776 by
Replied by on topic Qigong or Tai Chi?

Halcyon wrote:

Manami wrote: If this helps, should you look for a Tai Chi program: One of the the things I've noticed (at least in my part of the US) is that stand-alone Tai Chi courses (such as ones offered by health centers, yoga schools, or exercise programs) tend to lean toward the meditative movement aspects. They've become very popular as a low impact exercise, stress-relief, or wellness program, and those kind of courses usually don't focus much on the martial aspect, if at all. The more martial-oriented programs (or at least the good ones!) are harder to find and often part of a curriculum or development sequence with other martial styles.

Thanks, Manami. I was part of the Shaolin School ,so my perspective on Tai Chi is a little skewed. I think most any course on Tai Chi you take State side is going to emphasize moving mediation.

Enoch, I'd say complete your Qi Gong course. If it's what you're after then follow that road. If it wasn't your cup of tea then you might try Tai Chi. I would even recommend some Aikido courses. They have a pretty deep meditative philosophy backing their practices last I heard. Then again, I believe anything, with the right mindset, will perform the way you want it to with enough dedication.

May The Force be with you.

I agree. Stick to what you have started and get a real good FEEL for it. I believe it's not the style it's just doing and sticking to what ever works for you. I've evolved slowly. I rather do one thing very well rather than jump from one thing to another looking for what is best. It's all good! Have fun and be happy with what you are doing.

More
6 years 2 months ago #316442 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Qigong or Tai Chi?
After studying both... it depends on what you're looking for (and who your teacher is). My experience has been that Qi Gong is meditative and breathing focused. Tai Chi allows for a much wider variation of speeds during practice (the slower you do the form the more work it is) and is focused, at least in some cases, on application (it can be a great precursor to Kung Fu).

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
6 years 1 month ago #316455 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Qigong or Tai Chi?

Locksley wrote: After studying both... it depends on what you're looking for (and who your teacher is). My experience has been that Qi Gong is meditative and breathing focused. Tai Chi allows for a much wider variation of speeds during practice (the slower you do the form the more work it is) and is focused, at least in some cases, on application (it can be a great precursor to Kung Fu).

I can't agre with you more .

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Locksley

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #319199 by
Based on my experience with T'ai Chi Chu'an classes years ago - which were complemented by warming-up sessions using Qigong - both provide an excellent means of meditation. Qigong, while it involves stances and some repetitive movements, is in terms of meditation the most like seated meditation styles. It stills the mind, steering it to focus on just one unchanging pattern.

T'ai Chi, on the other hand, involves a more complex set of movements. The endeavor to learn those movements in sequence, to initially perform those movements in near-perfect compliance to the instructions of a teacher, and ultimately to feel the energy of those movements and let them gently guide your body into the pattern best suited for it, requires unwavering concentration and focus, ultimately putting you into a meditative state which in my opinion puts you into a deep and dynamic relationship with the Force - in contrast to the more passive relationship inherent in Qigong and many forms of seated meditation.

In terms of practical, outer-world benefits - Qigong places a stronger emphasis on physical healing, while T'ai Chi offers a method of self defense.

If I were taking lessons now, I'd opt to T'ai Chi. I really like the sense of unity with my surroundings that it provides. If you're still trying to figure out which discipline to begin with, you can't go wrong with either choice; but I'd recommend planning sooner or later to try both, so you can discover which suits you best. The answer won't be the same for everybody.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by . Reason: Initially forgot to check the box to be notified of replies to this topic. I didn't change any of the wording in the post.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 1 month ago #319209 by
Thanks again for the advice and insight. I will at some point try tai chi, but will stick with qigong for now.

More
6 years 1 month ago #319211 by Carlos.Martinez3
Ever seen Tai Chi in action? Ever used it , personally , in real life ? Just wondering and if so how ? There are a million uses and functions you can use tai chi for , have you found any uses - yourself? Feel free to pm me if you like . I'm always looking and making room for new ideas and lights!

Build, not tear down.

More
6 years 1 month ago #319469 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Qigong or Tai Chi?
An article about Tai Chi from Harvard University . My Tai Chi teacher shared this with us a while back, it's a nifty way to review some of the benefits of Tai Chi!

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
6 years 1 month ago #319471 by Carlos.Martinez3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZkoH6hN1R8&ebc=ANyPxKpInKTVux8weZTffqMKWCjUfMUIQAFu3a0gV-wEVIDzdMWXKp-Sj2_CrjZvxwz-tFIF5Oqw6-hTWQPoJzqNTu26zGxUyQ

I love tools
And the diffrent ways they can be used . I my self practic this art to this extent - not directly formulated as such but there are benifits as well as diffrent applications.

Build, not tear down.

More
6 years 1 month ago #319480 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Qigong or Tai Chi?
I'm inclined to believe the best answer to this question is "yes", as by using them together, you'll see interesting results.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi