Jedi Strongman/Strongwoman or Highland Games?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #256138 by
I am getting back into the strength game after 5yrs and was just wondering anyone else trains or competes in strength sports. Thought it might be cool to talk shop and help each other out with stuff. I got to figure out a program now that I am old (31), so any advice there would be cool as a starting spot.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #256174 by Manu
31 is old? Sigh. :(

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: , OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #256179 by

Manu wrote: 31 is old? Sigh. :(

Took the words right out of my mouth. :D

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #256342 by
It is in strongman. Don't get me wrong, most of my favorite athletes and partners are over 30, 35, but it's a youngman's game. The Master's class starts at 40 and you need at least 3yrs to turn pro in the sport, so if you start even at 35 it's pretty much established that you will have to compete there.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #256343 by
i take my zimmer frame and go to the gym now :blink:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #256379 by
at the regular gym I see senior citizens getting their sweat on better than me, but I haven't seen to many 45yr+s walk a 600lb yoke for time or throw around 325lb stones. I felt old yesterday because I finally had to buy a lifting belt.

More
7 years 8 months ago #256472 by Whyte Horse
Real Jedi are out in the real world taking on challenges much greater than anything you will encounter in a game or competition.

Attachment hc89e880.jpeg not found

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
Attachments:

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #256479 by JamesSand

but I haven't seen to many 45yr+s walk a 600lb yoke for time or throw around 325lb stones.

I can't do that now, and I don't expect to ever do that.

And if at 45, I don't have people (followers, indentured servants, adoring children) to move things around for me, then I've done something wrong.

Ah, here comes my coffee boy now.

Tsst.

Okay on topic - I'm at a similar point to you Redleader.
I was never a strength athlete - I was more for the triathlon type activities, but still, I am trying to rediscover my limber youth after suddenly noticing the last 5 years sped by while I sat in an office chair.

It's a humbling moment when you try to do a Half-Olympic and realise you have become decrepit and feeble. :lol:
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #257158 by

JamesSand wrote: I was never a strength athlete - I was more for the triathlon type activities, but still, I am trying to rediscover my limber youth after suddenly noticing the last 5 years sped by while I sat in an office chair.

It's a humbling moment when you try to do a Half-Olympic and realise you have become decrepit and feeble. :lol:

It's funny how all the coaches, trainers, other competitors, doctors all warn you about injuries, overtraining, diet, sleep, but they never tell you that it's the damned office chairs that will get you.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #257211 by Reacher
There are some basic principles of fitness you will see again and again regardless of your goals.

1. Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demand (SAID) - Essentially, making your body perform a certain type of exercise breaks it down...and your body's natural response is to adapt to allow you to do that activity more, and more efficiently.

SAID Principle

2. Overload - The idea that you have to introduce greater demands to your exercising system to continue progress, like increasing the weight, adding repetitions, or shortening rest periods.

These are both rolled into a decent article describing the Frequency, Intensity, Time, and Type (FITT) principle...

FITT Principle

These are principles only - general guidelines that can help you link your fitness program to your goals. One thing that trainers and coaches often forget to mention is the importance of REST. We don't improve because we exercise, we improve because we recover. Keep these principles in mind as you sort through your options and I hope they help you find an effective program that works well for you.

Cheers!

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Reacher. Reason: Added a link
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi