Removing Carbs

More
8 years 5 months ago #207137 by Edan
Removing Carbs was created by Edan
So, in a bid to relieve my ever worsening symptoms of RLS (restless leg syndrome) I am going to try cutting out carbs as much as is possible, as it appears to have helped some people.

However, I'm not really used to not eating carbs so if anyone has some suggestions as to what to 'replace' them with, I would be very grateful! Or would you just eat more veg?

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #207142 by
Replied by on topic Removing Carbs
Vegetables are carbs.

Are you talking about giving up processed carbs? LOTS of people tout the benefits of that, but to give up the natural carbs that are in vegetables and fruit probably wouldn't be a good idea :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #207144 by
I've read that lower body weight training helps with RLS. Have you considered that?

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #207146 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Removing Carbs

LTK wrote: Vegetables are carbs.

Are you talking about giving up processed carbs? LOTS of people tout the benefits of that, but to give up the natural carbs that are in vegetables and fruit probably wouldn't be a good idea :)

Yes I know.. I meant processed carbs.

I don't really enjoy weight training but I run and do yoga instead, which hasn't actually helped that much so far. Though I am going to up my yoga sessions to every day to see if it helps.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Edan.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #207148 by
Eat a lot more rice, beans, quinoa, lentils. Make smoothies and juice from fresh fruit if you can or just eat plates full of sliced up apples, organges, grapes, whatever you like. Keep eating this kind of real food and don't go for the pasta, breads, stuff made from all the flours and sugars. Large vegetable salads.

Stop eating inflammatory foods: Omega 6 fats, all processed food (anything you don't eat raw/whole/made yourself using whole foods), REFINED carbohydrates like breads, pasta, sugary snacks, etc, sugar except for natural sugar in fruits, trans fats. Take anti-inflammatory supplements such as Omega 3 fats, calcium and magnesium, curcumin, valerian, iron, b vitamins, ginger, vitamin a and e (all of this you should get from foods you eat as supplements are kinda a marketing scheme). Anti-inflammatory foods include: cherries, peppers, walnuts, fatty fish, berries, beets, tomatoes, leafy greens.

Some natural remedies:
http://www.naturalnews.com/037739_restless_leg_syndrome_homeopathic_remedies_relief.html
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #207151 by

Edan wrote:
However, I'm not really used to not eating carbs so if anyone has some suggestions as to what to 'replace' them with, I would be very grateful! Or would you just eat more veg?

I wouldn't try to replace them. I would just try to eat more healthy foods.
When I first started I tried to limit myself to home-made items only. If I wanted bread - I had to make it. That put an end to things quite quickly haha
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #207188 by
As someone who is on Keto (low carb, high fat), I'd reccomend these resources to find some great recpies and alternatives you could use!

www.reddit.com/r/keto
www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes
www.ruled.me

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 5 months ago #207191 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Removing Carbs
no processed foods, no fizzy drinks (unless sparkling water), third fruit (low GI), third meats(go for quality) and third veg(no legumes) work wonders for me. Even with this you will get huge carb cravings though, so be extremely careful or you'll find yourself at the shop trying to buy more rubbish than your bank will allow. Wheat and similar grains definitely are no-go, and don't shy away from fats.

I'm not sure completely removing carbs from your diet would be advisable as you'd essentially be running on meats and fats....

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 5 months ago #207193 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Removing Carbs
carbs are needed....it's shouldn't be about eliminating carbs...but reducing the bad carbs...

the bulk of a good diet should be protein...it builds/rebuilds muscle tissue
carbs (sugars) are needed just to get the fire started
fats (good fats) are needed to keep the fire burning

people always overlook the "hidden" carbs in their foods and the "hidden" fats...

anytime i start to get a bit fidgety i simply make a more concentrated effort to control my body...as a kid if we got fidgety a slap on the back of the head settled us right down...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
8 years 5 months ago #209223 by Locksley
Replied by Locksley on topic Removing Carbs
I did true-low carb for a while, and I highly reccomend the following book as an aid: http://www.amazon.com/The-Schwarzbein-Principle-Healthy-Feeling/dp/1558746803

Also keep in mind that while eating higher protein is good, eating too much meat can lead to other complications. A good rule of thumb is to limit yourself to just 15 carbs a meal (about 1 slice of standard bread). Some carbs from starchy sources are good for the body, so there's no need to cut them all out, but you can replace most with things like nuts and seeds, and lots of good veggies.

We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away. -- J. Michael Straczynski, Babylon 5

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi