Religious Deception?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266069 by
Replied by on topic Religious Deception?

CableSteele wrote: That sounds like an awesome group. If you feel a connection with them, I think it would be nice to be able to be open and honest with them. If you just bear your soul and tell them what you just told us, I can't help but believe that they would accept you and honor your honesty. Of course they will no doubt try to convince you that your are wrong, but if you demonstrate your sincerity by seeking their input, you will, at the very least, have a great opportunity to practice the tolerance and understanding of a Jedi. Just a thought.

You sparked a question that you might be able to answer for me.

I have been trying to understand how Christians can adore a genocidal God, who needs to have his son murdered to forgive mankind, instead of just forgiving us outright, while Christians think that is somehow good justice.

As Ingersoll said; 'no man would be fit for heaven who would consent that an innocent person should suffer for his sin.'

Regards
DL

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266070 by

Leah Starspectre wrote: Thanks everyone, for reminding me that being a Jedi means striving for integrity and courage.

I think I'll have a chat with my friend tonight. I'll explain the situation and that my goal was religious discourse/give-and-take of spiritual wisdom, which would include divulging my own beliefs, even when they contradict her own. But if there's no place in her group for discourse, then I'll gracefully decline to attend any further. Same goes if her purpose is to evangelize me and usher me back into the Church.

I will be strong and proud (though not forceful) in my Jedi beliefs. There's no place for me in a group that can't or won't recognize them as a valid. Pretending doesn't help anybody.

I really appreciate you all helping me to remember that. :)

Atta girl.

BTW, if your girl friend tries to teach you anything about Christianity, you might tell her that her misogynous religion forbids her to teach men about religion and I think that might include a woman teaching a woman as well even though that is not specified in those exact words.

Regards
DL

More
7 years 4 months ago #266080 by Leah Starspectre
Since this thread seems to have been resurrected (heh heh, pun intended) I may as well update.

I stopped attending, and the friend seemed to accept it eventually, though I do still get the occasional text from her with a Bible verse or two. But since we're neighbours, I run into her from time to time and it's still all big hugs and chatting. I'm thinking of maybe joining them again at Christmas. So I guess it was a happy "ending"

And as for your comment, DL, I try not to make it my business to tell anybody about what their religion should or shouldn't do/think/say, interpret it for them, or make assumptions about its purpose. While I think the Bible has its flaws, it also has a great amount of wisdom if you're able to see beyond the mythology and try to distill the message (as it is with most religions/faiths). :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre, Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266093 by
Professor Dawkins, may I have your autograph ??

Stop using his lines, it makes you sound dumb when using them in front of one so well knowing of him as me.

Greatest-I-am you and Dawkins radiate arrogance. Look at your username. Just tone it down dude, you've been here a week and probably insulted every Abrahamic religion in one sentence.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #266107 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Religious Deception?

Greatest-I-am wrote: I have been trying to understand how Christians can adore a genocidal God, who needs to have his son murdered to forgive mankind, instead of just forgiving us outright, while Christians think that is somehow good justice.

Straw Man Fallacy
Substituting a person’s actual position or argument with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of the argument

youre never going to defeat the christians by ridiculing a misrepresentation of their beliefs!

if you want to make a dent youve got to ask "why is the christ iconography so enduring? whats so compelling about it and what does it really mean to the people who believe in it?"

what youre doing here is not a good example of critical thinking

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #266109 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Religious Deception?
This thread doesn't interest me much, but I just saw this on the side-feed thing and it irked my brain

BTW, if your girl friend tries to teach you anything about Christianity, you might tell her that her misogynous religion forbids her to teach men about religion and I think that might include a woman teaching a woman as well even though that is not specified in those exact words.

My understanding is that Leah is also a woman, which (assuming everything you've said is correct), would mean that as both an outsider and a female she would have no authority to give a christian instruction on anything, for the same reasons you submit.

I don't want an answer, I don't care, the inanity is just giving me a brainfreeze for a moment.

Oh, and I am a Christian, although that's got nothing to do with adoring a genocidal god.

That's what the Kult of Khorne is for :D
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kohadre

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266211 by

Leah Starspectre wrote: Since this thread seems to have been resurrected (heh heh, pun intended) I may as well update.

I stopped attending, and the friend seemed to accept it eventually, though I do still get the occasional text from her with a Bible verse or two. But since we're neighbours, I run into her from time to time and it's still all big hugs and chatting. I'm thinking of maybe joining them again at Christmas. So I guess it was a happy "ending"

And as for your comment, DL, I try not to make it my business to tell anybody about what their religion should or shouldn't do/think/say, interpret it for them, or make assumptions about its purpose. While I think the Bible has its flaws, it also has a great amount of wisdom if you're able to see beyond the mythology and try to distill the message (as it is with most religions/faiths). :)

True that there is some wisdom in scriptures, that does not excuse that the God Christianity is trying to sell you is a genocidal son murderer.

I am sure you would not follow Hitler so why would you want to get closer to a genocidal God who can cure as easily as kill yet always kills?

This link ends by asking, what kind of God would torture and murder babies and your bible tells us it is the God you are thinking of getting closer to.

I am all for you seeking a God, Gnostic Christianity promotes seeking God, but why would you settle for a baby torturer?

https://vimeo.com/7038401

Regards
DL

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266215 by

Leah Starspectre wrote:

You say that there is wisdom in scriptures and I have agreed, and offer these for you to ponder.

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Note how that wisdom goes completely against what you said.

If you are not going to bring your intelligence and good moral sense to Christianity, why in the hell would you want to join a brain dead and immoral homophobic and misogynous religion that believes in talking serpents and donkeys?

Regards
DL

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266216 by

Silas Mercury wrote: Professor Dawkins, may I have your autograph ??

Stop using his lines, it makes you sound dumb when using them in front of one so well knowing of him as me.

Greatest-I-am you and Dawkins radiate arrogance. Look at your username. Just tone it down dude, you've been here a week and probably insulted every Abrahamic religion in one sentence.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Regards
DL

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #266221 by

OB1Shinobi wrote:

Greatest-I-am wrote: I have been trying to understand how Christians can adore a genocidal God, who needs to have his son murdered to forgive mankind, instead of just forgiving us outright, while Christians think that is somehow good justice.

Straw Man Fallacy
Substituting a person’s actual position or argument with a distorted, exaggerated, or misrepresented version of the position of the argument

I miss-represent nothing.

Your claim that I do, without showing the where or how, shows how little you know of how to present a claim.

Note that bible quote above. It suggests correcting with love and here you are correcting with hate.

You may not like what I say but this Bishop does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKNup9gEBdg&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs

Regards
DL,
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi