Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus by Reza Aslan

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #214401 by

Blue Star wrote:

Kaverael wrote: Has anyone read this book?

I read it, THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading it, and wrote a review of the book here:

http://theautarkist.wordpress.com/2014/05/17/zealot-how-a-muslim-found-jesus-and-what-he-did-to-him-when-he-found-him/

What an insightful review ... the kind of thing that could inspire a conversation lasting all night. Thanks for sharing your observations, Blue Star.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #214407 by
Thanks for the link Loudzoo! I'll definitely be listening to that. I really like what you said Alan, from what I have seen in studying this subject is pretty much what you have listed. I was wondering if you think the book Zealot gives reputable information on this topic or if it's not worth the read and there are better books you could recommend?

I highly recommend "how Jesus became God" by Dr. Bart Ehrman for anyone else interested in this topic, and if anyone has already read that book, what did you think?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #214451 by
Excellent posts.

Messianism waxes and wanes in Judaism and in first century Jerusalem there were other interpretations in addition to the official one of the scholars and elders at the Second Temple. Also, the theme of an expectant divine savior’s imminent return can be found in a variety of forms in those religions present in Roman Jerusalem, for example, both Mithraism, and its parent religion, Zoroastrianism. Christianity never got over the need for a Messiah. Jesus is theologically transformed into the end-of-time Messianic Judge. Judaism took another path. The idea seems to have become marginalized in the face of more dire threats in the Diaspora. Councils met during the first century to adopt a scriptural canon for dissemination throughout the Diaspora and to figure out what kind of Judaism there was to be now without a temple in Jerusalem.

I imagine Jerusalem's elite being deeply divided. There were multiple religious and economic factions, and that there was a common enemy was not enough to reduce the tension. Herod and his family were the local royals. Old family. Hellenistic ties. There other capital was Damascus. Money flowed into the city with Herod flush splitting the taxes with Rome. I presume there was a wealthy elite (foreigners, as well as, locals) who were more or less independent from the temple and collaborating with Rome. Bribery was rife. It is conceivable that Jerusalem's competing ancient families funded proxy militants. The merchant elite already had armed guards for security of caravans and agricultural sites: Pax Romana Godfather-Meets-Game-of -Thrones. Zealots had to wait to reap what they sowed. The Siege of Jerusalem ended with Herod’s temple razed in 70 C.E. by the general and next emperor, Titus. Rome again kept the peace there until the Bar Kokhba Revolt, 132-135 C.E. By the end of the first century Christianity was flourishing in the cities of the eastern Roman Empire except Jerusalem.

More
8 years 3 months ago #214455 by steamboat28

Rick D wrote: Has anyone read this book?

Yes. It's astounding.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #214607 by
That is fantastic info Alan! Thank you! How did you come about learning all or that? Did you take a course or just independent study and reading? Also, you end with Christianity flourishing, do you think the time it took for the Jews to fight Rome and reconstruct it's doctrine aided Christianity in its ability to grow in some way?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #215046 by
Disclaimer: I have not read Aslan.

Funny, how my academic work often coincides with Jedi topics of discussion here. Preparing for next semester’s course on World Mythology, I stumbled upon an article related to this discussion. The new textbook is The Myth and Ritual Theory, a book of readings edited by Robert A. Segel. This is the first semester I’ve used this book in class (having previously required Campbell’s The Hero with a Thousand Faces and Mircea Eliade’s The Myth of the Eternal Return) and so I’m reading many of the articles in this collection for the first time though I’ve long been an advocate of the concept of the relationship of myth and ritual. The article in question is The Myth and Ritual Position Critically Examined by historian of religion, S.G.F. Brandon (1907-1971). Brandon points out an overlooked event in the first generation of Christianity regarding two radically different interpretations regarding the person and mission of Jesus. Paul writes to the churches in Galatia and Corinth about this serious challenge to his interpretation. Brandon writes, “On further investigation there can be little doubt that these exponents of the rival gospel were none other than the emissaries of the Church of Jerusalem, which means that their teaching represented the interpretation of the status and role of Jesus held by those original apostles and ‘eye-witnesses’ who constituted the Urgemeinde of Christianity” (404). Urgemeinde refers to the original community of the first Christians in Jerusalem.

Brandon posits that this community thought of Jesus as the Messiah of Israel; a being with supernatural power who will come in glory to restore the Kingdom of Israel. Clearly, a political/military Messiah whose imminent return was expected to redeem Israel’s captivity to Rome. This is not the messianic savior, whom Paul identifies with the historical Jesus, who is to deliver universal salvation. The Church of Jerusalem possessed indisputable authority and prestige from the support of Jesus’ original disciples. Paul’s claims were meaningful only to those small congregations in the scattered cities and towns of the Roman Empire. Paul’s execution occurs about the same time as the Jewish nationalist revolt in 66 C.E. The destruction of the Second Temple four years later seems to have also resulted in a synthesis of the Church of Jerusalem’s version of Jesus the Royal Messiah restoring the Kingdom of Israel with Paul’s concept of the divine savior, the incarnation of God in the person of Jesus who redeems all mankind from sin. This synthesis can be detected in the Gospel of Mark (written in the early 70’s) and Matthew (about the mid-80’s).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #215537 by
Really good info Alan, thank you! And thank you for expanding my reading list ;) I'll give those books a read. So I have a question that maybe you have come across a good answer for. Paul (assuming the account written in the Bible is 100% true) was a leader in the Jewish church that converted to Christianity while on a mission to destroy Christians. He experienced a "revelation" from the risen Jesus to proclaim a new message of salvation. (One that does not coincide with the message in the gospels) my question is, what did Paul have to gain by converting to Christianity, which was a small sect of Judaism? Surely the theological answer of his vision of Jesus isn't the whole answer. Paul is the bedrock to the whole faith, it seems, and there must have been a political or financial motive behind his radical conversion.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi