Second Largest Religions in the States

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #150910 by
How many people are "NONE" because a list does not afford an "Other", or a person is afraid to admit to their non-standard beliefs?

There were threats of fines to any Australian who cited Jedi as their religion. I encourage people to put down their real religion, to counter scare-tactics by racists who encourage everyone to cite their religion as Christian, in order to "stop the Muslims building a mosque next door". Asses. Listing yourself as Jedi gets you put in the "not counted" section, and doesn't get put under "No Religion". So, you know, politics an' all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #150948 by Gisteron

Williamkaede wrote: How many people are "NONE" because a list does not afford an "Other", or a person is afraid to admit to their non-standard beliefs?

Indeed. So, how many?

There were threats of fines to any Australian who cited Jedi as their religion.

Citation, please.

I encourage people to put down their real religion, to counter scare-tactics by racists who encourage everyone to cite their religion as Christian, in order to "stop the Muslims building a mosque next door". Asses. Listing yourself as Jedi gets you put in the "not counted" section, and doesn't get put under "No Religion". So, you know, politics an' all.

Again, citation, please.

Though on that entire note I should say that I am aware of the severe problems in just about all life areas people suffer from for admitting they don't believe something similar to what the rest of their peers do. I even heard it can be positively dangerous to come out like that. But I am challenging the claim, if you made one such, that any governing body or government-based census office is posing those threats and I'm particularly curious about those threats of fines to Australian Jedi you mentioned.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #150950 by Edan

Gisteron wrote:

Williamkaede wrote: There were threats of fines to any Australian who cited Jedi as their religion.

Citation, please.

From what I can tell, the $1000 fine was for suppling false information, not for putting Jedi on the form; i.e. if you put Jedi and are not one you are supplying false information. How they would go about proving that, who knows.

Link here

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Edan.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 9 months ago #150961 by
I wonder if the government's definition of religion could affect their view of false or misleading information.

"We do not recognise Jedi as a religion. Lol, fines for everyone."

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #150976 by Adder

Williamkaede wrote: I wonder if the government's definition of religion could affect their view of false or misleading information.

"We do not recognise Jedi as a religion. Lol, fines for everyone."

Have a read here for some perspectives on it;

http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/General-Discussions/104620-noun-religion?start=20#117137

I ended up at the conclusion that;

"....basically, in Australia is seems the minimum is both;

1. belief in a supernatural Being, Thing or Principle; and
2. the acceptance of canons of conduct in order to give effect to that belief, though canons of conduct which offend against the ordinary laws are outside the area of any immunity, privilege or right conferred on the grounds of religion.
"

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Adder.

More
9 years 9 months ago #150998 by Gisteron

Edan wrote: From what I can tell, the $1000 fine was for suppling false information, not for putting Jedi on the form; i.e. if you put Jedi and are not one you are supplying false information. How they would go about proving that, who knows.

Yes, that was my information, too. I read an article from 2006 that said that despite the Jedi census phenomenon in 2001, where many Australians actually admitted that they just wanted to make fun of the system, still nobody had been prosecuted on that law in over fifteen years. So if anything, they are actually more generous about it than they should be according to their own rules.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
9 years 9 months ago #151018 by Kohadre

Vesha wrote: Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but a quick fact check shows this map to be totally false. I doubled checked Arizona to find the 2nd largest religion to be Mormon and the 3rd to be Jewish. Atheist are at 22% ,but since that is not a believe system I can see how that doesn't count. I just think it's important o be accurate.

In all technicality, Mormonism is still a form of Christianity.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi