Catholic Church

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 10 months ago #149040 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Catholic Church

EEJim wrote: At the risk of possibly alienating people whom I consider to be friends, brothers, and sisters. I would like to say that it is not our place to judge the Catholic church, especially when one of it's brothers has found their way to our doorstep. The sordid history of any religion is a good thing to debate, however confronting Pedroky in such an aggressive way is not in the faith of brotherhood. Better for him to see us as a welcoming community of open minded people, rather than an angry mob wronged by religion.

And the point I always try to make....:)

To call any group one thing or another, most responses will be read in a defensive, or aggressive, tone by those who read it..

A challenge was seemingly, issued... For there are many ways to discuss the "violence of the jedi" without sounding accusative....

As you learn about us EEJim, and Pedroky, learn about the individuals, out tones become more apparent..:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #149042 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Catholic Church

Pedroky wrote: I'm a Catholic, I pray everyday, I feel sorry for those who doesn't. I meditate also. I've heard that pray is speaking to God, meditating is listening God. I'm interested in the Jedi path because I don't feel satisfied with tha Catholic faith, it's rare seeing really commited people, devoted to God. I don't know if I can be a Jedi Christian, because of the violence associated to Jedi. One thing I'm shure, I want to be better everyday, I'm observing people and listen some conversations, in search of partners of this goal.

I’m not sure I understand the original post. I see several statements, but no question.

In many churches, it is taught that prayer is a form of meditation. Just an interesting tidbit. As to feeling sorry for others that might not do something; I do not. Perhaps it is because I believe that it would be a bit presumptuous on my part to assume that what I was doing was the right way for all and that they were somehow missing out. I don’t know… almost sounds as though it would be arrogance on my part to think that way.

Speaking of devotion by religious members… I am certain that same lackadaisical conviction runs rampant throughout all religions and religious orders. Sounds like a negative outlook doesn’t it? :P But look at how many members we have versus how many are active. What is it now… 15 – 16 thousand plus? Maybe a couple hundred actually active? Who knows? ;)

I am curious as to why you feel the Jedi are violent? If I was reading that correctly.

Monastic Order of Knights

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #149056 by
Replied by on topic Catholic Church
Thank you for your answers. I find Jedi path more interesting, it's challenging, although Catholic path is also, but more suffering one. I identify more with Jedi, I prefer to meditate. I will pick the best in Catholic Church, not following it blind.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #149073 by
There are many old teachings that cant easily be justified in a modern world, but the old messages still hold value and will for all time. its not the words from any book....... but the meaning of the words that are still valid. : )

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 10 months ago #150648 by
I myself am a Catholic, along with being a Jedi. I have for years thought about leaving the Catholic Church, and very well might do so once I get my own place (for my own reasons). Though as Christ said, and in the nature of the Jedi, we are not to judge one for his past, present or future sins/mistakes.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #158231 by
I have been a Catholic all of my life, raised Catholic, my parents were originally Baptist and Nazarene converts. During my teen years I lost my faith, going honestly down a very dark path, including spiritually. I was very angry, even when it was not justified. I eventually found God again, through my own path (Before it was mostly religion being forced down my throat). In the end we all have to find our path in life. My personal beliefs though, I do not see why the Jediism and Catholicism can not co-exist. I personally find most of the teachings go hand in hand. Now, to the Catholic violence in the past. We must keep in mind that yes, there was terrible violence done by the Church, in the name of God. However, as Catholics we must closely look and study the teachings of God, as humans are very flawed creatures. That is why the violent acts took place, it was the leadership and the obedience of miss guided humans. In every instance in the bible, Jesus taught peace. Even when he was being taken before Pontius Pilate from the garden, his disciples were ready to fight. He could have easily used to disciples, or even his Angels in heaven to quickly end the threat to his life. However, he was true to his teachings, and again used peace.

More
9 years 7 months ago #158261 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Catholic Church

Revan Falton wrote: In every instance in the bible, Jesus taught peace.

In every instance...

Except in
- Matthew 10:34
- Luke 12:49-53
- Luke 22:35-38
- The infamous Cleansing of the Temple in
- Mark 11
- Matthew 21
- Luke 19:45-48 and 20:1-8 (right after a parable wherein he told of his second coming when he would order for all those who will not follow him to be slain - my personal favourite - 19:27)
- John 2:13-16

Read your bible. It is a very long and boring book. But you just might find it somewhat enlightening.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #158268 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Catholic Church

Gisteron wrote:
Read your bible. It is a very long and boring book. But you just might find it somewhat enlightening.

Please watch your tone...

While I have not read the references you quoted in rebuttal, your added slight does not contribute to the conversation...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Jestor.

More
9 years 7 months ago #158270 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Catholic Church
Are you referring to the "long and boring" or "somewhat enlightening" bit?
It is long in the sense that it has a lot of content and it is boring in the sense that most of it is repetitive in one way or another while other parts are law books, history chronologies and other unexciting text types, leaving only a reasonably small part of the whole entertaining in a literary sense.
As for the "somewhat enlightening" bit: I agree, that did sound patronizing, now that I look at it again... I apologize.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #158272 by
Wow guys! I have to say that I've read a lot of stuff on the forum here that I don't necessarily see eye to eye with (reason I'm here actually) but you just genuinely impressed me with your peaceable and understanding nature as a community.

Having a keen interest in history I saw a red rag waved at a bull. The response? Well it reminded me a lot of "Ferdinand The Bull". Not only this but recognition of the difference between the beliefs of the many and the ends to which self serving leaders can sadly twist them. Then just to cap it all off understanding that if they aren't careful the same may happen to them in the future. Violence will not prevail where such deep wisdom is present.

Needless to say that if my main concern was violence then the members commenting here have just laid those concerns to rest.

Pedroky I'm a guest like you and I'd call myself a Christian. I've been to a lot of different churches and as someone who has studied the bible in depth I see a lot of disparity between what is said and what is written. While the intentions may be good like you I can find it unsatisfying.

Of all the bad names Satan could have been called he is called the deceiver and of all the ways God describes himself he says that he is the "truth and the light". God says in scripture many times that he hates a lie and the hypocrite but loves the truth. Despite some of the crazy belief I've heard here most people seem to genuinely be searching for the truth and openly willing to adjust their beliefs when they find it. If god is then the truth they are certainly on the path to find him. So I'd say don't be afraid to search for the truth here but as always be mindful of the leaven in the bread.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi