3 quotes to think on

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 17 hours ago #29992 by
Replied by on topic Re:3 quotes to think on
You've had some very good posts lately, sorry theres not much to say about them, but thanks for the stuff to think about :-)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
13 years 11 months ago #30222 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:3 quotes to think on
Let go of body and mind, until you reach a state of great rest, like letting go over a cliff ten miles high, being like open space. And don't produce representations of discriminations of random thoughts arising and passing away; the moment a view sticks in your mind, use the sword of wisdom to cut it right off, not letting it continue.

-Huai-t'ang

Karma is not something complicated or philosophical. Karma means watching your body, watching your mouth, and watching your mind. Trying to keep these three doors as pure as possible is the practice of karma.

-Lama Thubten Yeshe

The brief elation we experience appeasing sensual impulses is very close to what the drug addict feels when indulging his or her habit. Temporary relief is soon followed by a craving for more. And in just the same way that taking drugs in the end only causes trouble, so too does much of what we undertake to fulfill our immediate sensory desires. We must acknowledge that there can be no hope of gratifying the senses permanently. At best, the happiness we derive from eating a good meal can only last until the next time we are hungry.

-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

the first quote is a good tip for meditation.

the second quote is a good one about being mindful of your actions.

the third one discusses the benefits of moderation and self control as we can only practice them by understanding that desires are never truly satisfied.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
13 years 11 months ago #30522 by RyuJin
Do not just memorize sayings, recite words, and discuss Zen and the way based on books. The Zen way is not in books. Even if you can recite the teachings of the whole canon and all the masters and philosophers, they are just useless words of no avail when you are facing death.

-Chien-ju

O let us live in joy, although having nothing! In joy let us live like spirits of light!

-Buddha

The truth indeed has never been preached by the Buddha, seeing that one has to realize it within oneself.

-Lamkara Sutra

the first one is a really interesting one i'll have to think on for a bit...it is pointless to memorize words and phrases, memorization is not living in the moment but preserving the past and blocking the future.

the second one i feel points out that we should be happy with what we don't have as much as with what we do have, by taking joy in everything we cease to suffer.

the third , buddha merely showed the way, it's up to the individual to take the path or not.

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
13 years 11 months ago #30523 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:3 quotes to think on
I am not of this rite, so I hope I am not stepping on toes....

To me,

the first one says, what good to know the words, to read and listen to others interpetation of the words, if you don't live them.....

the second is saying do not be upset due to the lack of personal possesions, be happy for what you have....

the third, well, Buddha, your favorite teacher, your parents, or your Jedi Master, can tell you or explain till they are blue in the face... only you can make yourself see or understand the truth...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
13 years 11 months ago #30525 by RyuJin
these are open to all to comment on :)

i post them to get people to think and interpret, we all see things in a different light ;)

Quotes:

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
13 years 11 months ago #30529 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re:3 quotes to think on
Sweet, just being polite.......

and thank you...
B)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
13 years 11 months ago #30934 by RyuJin
A buddha is one who does not seek. In seeking this, you turn away from it. The principle is the principle of nonseeking; when you seek it, you lose it.

-Pai-chang

Meditate on that which is beyond words and symbols. Forsake the demands of the self. By such forsaking you will live serenely.

-Sutta Nipata

Words! The Way is beyond language, for in it there is no yesterday no tomorrow no today.

-Seng-tsan, \"Verses on the Faith Mind\"

the first one is very similar to one of the first things i was ever told when i began studying buddhism:\" if you think you're enlightened you're not, you will not know when it happens\" by pursuing englightenment with determined focus we blind ourselves to the present experience and thus lose sight of it.

the second one is very jedi like, put others before yourself by doing this you will bring peace to others as well as yourself, whereas if you place self before others you create ill-will towards yourself from others.

the third one is, in a way, explaining the path to enlightenment. words cannot do justice in explaining the way, it is experience. not just any type of experience but experience of the moment and experience of the spirit

Quotes:

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
13 years 10 months ago #31089 by RyuJin
The Buddha taught: \"Do not pursue the past. Do not lose yourself in the future. The past no longer is. The future has not yet come. Looking deeply at life as it is. In the very here and now, the practitioner dwells in stability and freedom. We must be diligent today. To wait until tomorrow is too late. Death comes unexpectedly. How can we bargain with it? The sage calls a person who knows how to dwell in mindfulness night and day 'one who knows the better way to live alone.'\"

-\"Bhaddekaratta Sutta,\" translated by Thich Nhat Hanh

Train yourself in this way: from higher to higher, from strength to strength we will strive, and we will come to realize unsurpassed freedom.

-Buddha

Where is thought? It can never be seen or even apprehended. It is like a magical illusion, for with imagination it colors the world. Searching for thought, unable to see it, a person looks for its origin. And it seems to be that where there is an object thought arises. Thought does not arise without an object. Can thought look at thought? No. Just as the blade of a sword cannot cut itself, or a fingertip touch itself, so thought cannot see thought

-Sikshasamuccaya

the first one is a pretty easy one to figure out, and goes perfectly with jediism, live in the moment, be mindful of the future but not at the expense of the present, and don't dwell on the past.

the second one can be seen as this: always strive to improve yourself, with constant improvement your free from disappointment, freedom from disappointment is an escape from suffering, an escape from suffering is enlightenment.

the third one brings to mind a lesson from philosophy about the viewer and the viewed. it could also be compared to the idea of biocentrism in which an object does not exist until we put our thoughts to it. no form, no qualities, nothing...until you think about it.

Quotes:

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
13 years 10 months ago #31391 by RyuJin
not even the strongest of winds can break the nimble reed, the same cannot be said of the mighty oak standing firmly rooted in place

-RyuJin, Jedi Knight

fear, when left unchecked prevents good people from achieving great things.

-RyuJin, Jedi Knight

perception is deception.

-RyuJin, Jedi Knight

thought i'd change it up a bit and use a few of my own quotes.;)

the first one is about being flexible and adaptive. by being so we can handle any situation that comes our way. inflexibility keeps us from continuing to grow and develop. by accepting whatever comes at us we eliminate a cause of suffering, if instead we stand firm we risk creating our own suffering.

the second one is about how fear can keep us from doing what is right, and from trying new things. by eliminating fear we gain the strength to right, and we enable ourselves to experience new things which in turn enrich us further.

the third one is about how our physical senses can be fooled, but our instincts rarely ever are. if you can see it, smell it, touch it, taste it, or hear it, then you can be fooled by it, but if you feel it instinctually, this can rarely ever be used to fool you. trust your instincts.

Quotes:

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
13 years 9 months ago #32120 by RyuJin
Greed and fear of loss are the roots that lead to the tree of evil.

-unknown-

It is better to fail honorably, than to succeed deceitfully

-unknown-

You are all the Buddha

-The Buddha's last words-

these 3 are pretty easy to understand i think so i won't give my interpretation of them :)

Quotes:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi