The Dalai Lama speaks at Glastonbury

More
8 years 9 months ago #196227 by Edan
(You have to get through the singing of Happy Birthday first! ... you might want to skip to 3:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XPO8B2QZ1g

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 9 months ago #196242 by
I am so excited to hear him speak on Wednesday in Dallas. UGH. Like, you know how some people get all excited for Bono and Mumford and Sons? I'm literally crying thinking about him speaking 40 feet away from me. OMG.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 9 months ago #196297 by ren
I don't understand what's so great about the dalai lama. We don't feel sorry for the pope or find him wise just because his lands and armies were taken over by democracies. Buddhist theocracies do not have a better reputation than christian ones (or than the PRC).

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #196331 by Adder

ren wrote: I don't understand what's so great about the dalai lama. We don't feel sorry for the pope or find him wise just because his lands and armies were taken over by democracies. Buddhist theocracies do not have a better reputation than christian ones (or than the PRC).

I'd say it's not about politics, but the political elements which are associated with him tend to be positive rather then negative. Such as the back story of him fleeing with his people probably resonated with some Judo-christian history perhaps (exodus), at least to some extent even if people didn't consciously make the connection - though I think he was just a likeable figure of authority in a topic many people had a curiosity or interest in - and HHDL is a teacher who actually does sit down and teach. He has been travelling around meeting the people for decades, so together with such visibility and (generally) keeping his nose clean probably is an opportunity for some measure of success. The only dirt I've noticed is people complaining about the culture prior to the 20th century, but that is not unique for poor remote parts of the world, and more recently the Shugden stuff - but those pale in comparison to the endless list of things like sexual assualt and embezzlement etc, of other "Eastern guru's" with questionable lineage etc.

Though also, lots of folk like to back the underdog in a mismatched fight and the PRC occupation of Tibet did happen as part of the same impetus as the Korean and Vietnam wars, so.... all those little aspects add up I guess.

I'd say the interest in Tibetan Buddhism is the synthesis of Indian and Chinese Buddhism together with indigenous Shamanism and Mongol culture, plus the air of mystic associated with distant remote mountains etc etc and the complexity/diversity of material in Tibetan Buddhism as a spiritual path (not a theocratic path!?) is the draw. For me its that synthesis of early Eastern religions/paths and both ascetic and monastic becoming forged into more practical (relatively) techniques.

Plus he seems happy a lot of the time :lol:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
8 years 9 months ago #196340 by ren
I wasn't referring to the religious or philosophical aspect... (or even the personal aspect) I understand why people will show interest in him just like they would with many other people.

I was mostly concerned about the fact that this "leader in exile" is supposed to be leading a feudal theocracy, what we in europe call the middle ages. The PRC is better than a feudal theocracy (everything I can think of is). Therefore why is the dalai lama such a hero hipster-friendly figure? Ok, he's been chilling out in india converting the locals to tibetan Buddhism, cool (it's not like he has much of a choice). Why the rockstar treatment? He comments about someone with gray hair being active and how every day is important... Not exactly anything enlightening, yet he gets more cheers than a pink floyd reunion featuring jimi hendrix would. At glastonbury.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
8 years 9 months ago #196341 by Adder

ren wrote: I wasn't referring to the religious or philosophical aspect... (or even the personal aspect) I understand why people will show interest in him just like they would with many other people.

I was mostly concerned about the fact that this "leader in exile" is supposed to be leading a feudal theocracy, what we in europe call the middle ages. The PRC is better than a feudal theocracy (everything I can think of is). Therefore why is the dalai lama such a hero hipster-friendly figure? Ok, he's been chilling out in india converting the locals to tibetan Buddhism, cool (it's not like he has much of a choice). Why the rockstar treatment? He comments about someone with gray hair being active and how every day is important... Not exactly anything enlightening, yet he gets more cheers than a pink floyd reunion featuring jimi hendrix would. At glastonbury.

Probably for the religious, philosophical and personal aspects :P

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi