Where do I turn to?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348659 by
Replied by on topic Where do I turn to?
My advice would be to continue to take in as much new information as you are comfortable with on a daily basis and then to have complete and honest conversations with yourself regularly. Sometimes the easiest way to work something out is to reassess that which you have learned and have come to know as truth. Often you will discover that your thoughts and feelings about a subject may have changed without your conscious attention and you will gain understanding through contemplation and introspection. I suggest stopping by the library as Carlos.Martinez3 said and reading whatever you feel most drawn to.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #348665 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Where do I turn to?
Please check your PM's. The little envelope icon at the top right.

Welcome to The Order

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3,

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #348666 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Where do I turn to?
Here is a more serious reply than my first. We have a Doctrine here but it is frankly inadequate as a comprehensive guide for living (then again, so is the Bible imo but even it is better than our Doctrine). My personal opinion is that youd do best to look to scientists, philosophers, and experts in various mental health fields for answers about the nature of life and reality.

http://www.rebellesociety.com/2019/12/03/jeffbrown-sense/

Warning: Spoiler!

People are complicated.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu

More
4 years 2 months ago #348670 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Where do I turn to?
I lean heavily on survivorship bias and turn to myself - I figure if I made it this far, I must be smarter than everyone who hasn't.

It's a more or less perfect system (until it isn't, but I'll deal with that then ;) )
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
4 years 2 months ago #348671 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Where do I turn to?
It's a good question, difficult to answer succinctly. For me saying the Force is not practical enough, but rather I fall to my path. It is this which best relates to an experience of connection with the Force, but it all depends on the manifestation of distress which determines how focus needs to resolve the imbalance best.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
4 years 2 months ago #348676 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic Where do I turn to?
In the end, I don't think anyone here can give you some nugget of wisdom that will cure every single one of your problems.
You can try being a bit more specific and solicit our armchair therapist opinions, or realize there's a certain futility in looking for a perfect panacea.
My 2ยข anyhow

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, OB1Shinobi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348678 by
I read a few pages of "365 Tao Daily Meditations" by Deng Ming-Dao every day. It helps center me. When I got to the end I set it aside for a while and missed it so I started at the beginning again. I read this first thing in the morning with my coffee when everything is quiet. Sometimes I listen to music and sometimes I read in silence.

More
4 years 2 months ago #348679 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Where do I turn to?
The problem I see with looking for a book to turn to, is that it implies granting authority to an external source, which I assume is useful as a temporary tool to gain a general sense of direction.

We certainly need this external authority as children - when we are totally clueless and cannot match up cause and consequence well enough. But, as we grow, the hallmark of becoming an adult is responsibility, and it is only possible to be responsible if we are free... that is, as long as we rely on some external authority for our compass of morality, we will also place all gratitude - and all blame - on this external source.

Moreso, an external source of morality, because of its general scope, cannot delve into the infinite differences of our human experience. "To become a Jedi, you must confront and go beyond the Dark Side of the Force" is a quote I like from the Return of the Jedi script, and it hints at the fact that we must all individually confront our own darkness. Where an external authority can give you hints and general guidelines, no one outside of yourself will be able to give you exact direction on the particular battles we will all have to face internally.

That said, as a book that clears the point I am trying to relay, I recommend Freedom from the Known by Jiddu Krishnamurti.

Since we are all fighting our own inner battles, you can turn to the member journals to understand better the individual ways that each have come to terms with themselves. Be warned, though, no public journal will ever delve as deep as it could.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
4 years 2 months ago #348682 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Where do I turn to?
Did you not receive my PM or have you not answered?

Founder of The Order

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 2 months ago #348721 by
Thank you so much for the help everyone. I am now looking at some of the texts within the library. However, I would love the chance to speak with anyone who is more knowledgeable than I, maybe a knight or member of the clergy, as I am still in a time of doubt. If anyone would like to reach out please feel free to.

Thank you all again for your kindness and support. I have found my home with you.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi