Policy on starting local groups?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #309885 by
I've looked around the site, and so far haven't found the answer in the FAQs - so can someone explain the policy for starting a new community group for local events (required rank, etc.)? Does the group have to be public (or can it be set to be visible only to registered members?)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #309887 by Br. John

Manami wrote: I've looked around the site, and so far haven't found the answer in the FAQs - so can someone explain the policy for starting a new community group for local events (required rank, etc.)? Does the group have to be public (or can it be set to be visible only to registered members?)

A physical local group or a group on the site for those from a particular area?

Founder of The Order

More
6 years 3 months ago #309888 by Nakis
In general, there isn't anything set in stone for starting local groups. Many things at the TOTJO (I'm not a representative by the by) tend to be done through Knights and higher and that is for experience and knowing how things work and the like.

However, there are some more groups elsewhere that do gatherings and the like, and there's nothing stopping you from doing your own meet ups. There's even a section for Offline interactions. I would say do it, and grow, and look to the TOTJO and groups like the Jedi Federation to grow your group, it's message, and it's methods.

Licensed Clergy Person
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #309897 by
Replied by on topic Policy on starting local groups?
Hello, Br. John,

A group on the site for those from a particular area, that would help encourage local events - not a formal local group.

Basically, I'll be spending a lot of time out in the Ozarks after spring gets here, and have been considering organizing some campouts & forest walks.

More
6 years 3 months ago #309903 by Br. John

Manami wrote: Hello, Br. John,

A group on the site for those from a particular area, that would help encourage local events - not a formal local group.

Basically, I'll be spending a lot of time out in the Ozarks after spring gets here, and have been considering organizing some campouts & forest walks.

That's easy to set up. I believe there needs to be a Knight to sponsor it. Go ahead and create it and I'll approve it. If we don't have a Knight close to that area that will not be a reason not to have it. Yes, checking with Jedi Federation could be a help too.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Nakis

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #309904 by
Thank you, Nakis. Using the Offline Interaction section may be the best option starting out, given that I'm new here and not sure how many people in the area would be interested. :)

More
6 years 3 months ago #309907 by Nakis
One thing to consider, something that I'm considering more for the springtime, is having some nature hikes and camping out and just putting up fliers that says where and when and see who shows up. I'm all about creating connections, but everyone needs to get away sometimes, no matter the religion. Also, people love meditation retreats. :)

Licensed Clergy Person

More
6 years 3 months ago #309916 by Br. John
To start a new group, go to Community - Groups - New Group. When I get back home in a few hours I'll approve it.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 3 months ago #309951 by
Thank you, Bro. John. Let me think it over a bit more before setting anything up. I was mainly wanting to find out in advance what the policies were, to make sure I would be working in the right direction.

Peace, and thanks again to you both for your help.

More
6 years 3 months ago #310014 by Tellahane

Br. John wrote: To start a new group, go to Community - Groups - New Group. When I get back home in a few hours I'll approve it.

If he forgets bug me and I'll approve it as well, make sure when you create it, you create a "general group" sometimes the public one bugs out the form, not sure why yet I'm still looking into it, but the "general" works as a public group for now and thats what we have been using since the new community module.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi