Very new to the Order and am wondering

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #241983 by
I tell select people I am a Jedi (well, Grey Jedi now). It is usually my family (who are extremely tolerant and open-minded, thank the gods) or close, close friends. Because it is not a religion for me, it is unnecessary for them to judge me as it is a religion. In fact, when my parents learned of this, they told me they didn't think I was a Jedi because I obviously wasn't training hard enough. hahaha. I found that pretty funny.

I do not tell the general population. It is because of Socrates, actually. He was so subtle that people would come to him asking where to find philosophers he studied with. hahah.

William Irvine, in his book A Guide to the Good Life, tells us that being stealthy about one's philosophical beliefs will keep people from unnecessarily ridiculing us. There's almost nothing good about saying we're Jedi out loud. What will it do? You may say that it is because we want to be recognized. That is prideful thinking. I don't care if we're ever accepted as a group. I am a Grey Jedi. But, I want people to just see me as a good person.. I contribute to society. I give back more than I take. If I satisfy that, my philosophical leanings have contributed to the world and I will never be prosecuted.

I have no interest in recruiting new members. I have no interest in people joining us. I imagine the Living Force will guide people to us naturally. Our material is already out there... We are top on the google searches. Opie has enough material out there to counteract the crap in Amazon.

Now, if you just want to share it because it brings you joy, then by all means. That is not a problem for me at all. In fact, I don't have any judgments about you or how you choose to share Jediism. If I found the right person to talk about it with, I certainly would!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #241989 by

Connor L. wrote: It is because of Socrates, actually. He was so subtle that people would come to him asking where to find philosophers he studied with.

Love it.

William Irvine, in his book A Guide to the Good Life, tells us that being stealthy about one's philosophical beliefs will keep people from unnecessarily ridiculing us. There's almost nothing good about saying we're Jedi out loud. What will it do? You may say that it is because we want to be recognized. That is prideful thinking. I don't care if we're ever accepted as a group. I am a Grey Jedi. But, I want people to just see me as a good person.. I contribute to society. I give back more than I take. If I satisfy that, my philosophical leanings have contributed to the world and I will never be prosecuted.

This. So much this. Who cares what they know about my titles. Titles are steeped in ego. Am I doing what I can to make the world better? Am I peaceful? How does the energy change in the room when I walk in?
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #241999 by Jestor
I don't tell folks I'm:

1) Jedi
2) right-handed
3) omnivorous
4) not into cross-fit
5) get pedicures/manicures
6) have a broken tooth
7) have a bad knee
8) have three kids
9) broke my ankle when I was 15
10) ????

There is a long list of boring things bout me if anyone really cared to listen... Or more pointedly, if I cared to talk about myself...

There is too much boring stuff to tell you about.me, id rather hear about you...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #242071 by
Some people know that I am Jedi, but many do not. The idea of not being accepted is difficult, but not accepting yourself is more difficult. For that reason I like to carry a TOTJO symbol with me wherever I go. It creates room for people to ask me about it. When people do ask, I take the time to talk about it if I feel comfortable.

Dagon wrote: "keep to the shadows" about our chosen religion. My question is: is this part of our doctrine?

Mm.. the doctrine says two important things about it sharing. To be yourself without shame, and to be consistent in being a Jedi. With other words.. Be yourself and live according to the doctrine, both at all times. The doctrine is not a solid law, when looking to share things open.. saying that you do not want to talk about it because you do not like to talk about it, is a form of being honest. Being honest is not being an open book! Being open while you do not want to, is on the other side not being yourself. ;)

That is what I believe is important when reading the Doctrine, in a search for ''keep to the shadows''... Believe your own truth. The force shines with you,

~ Aqua :blush:

Maxim of Integrity: To be consistent.
A Jedi lives as a Jedi at all times. Hypocrisy is their worst enemy.

Teaching 9. Jedi have integrity. We are authentic to what we believe and are open, honest and true to our purpose and our minds. We remove all masks to reveal ourselves as courageous and noble of heart. We do not hide from fear of damage to our image because we know that our image cannot be blemished from the words and actions of others.

More
7 years 11 months ago #242078 by Carlos.Martinez3
Personally I don't tag me with any name. It's my speech and actions that ALWAYS gives me away!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Adder, ,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 11 months ago #242089 by
Thank you all for your responses. I truly appreciate you all taking the time to pass on your knowledge.

I know I still have a lot to learn but thankfully you all clearly have no problem giving help and thankfully I've learned enough humility already to ask for it.

Dagon

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi