Questionnaire: Why did you choose the path?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #203095 by
I wanted to get multiple views from many different Jedis about Jediism. I am currently researching the Jedi path and would like a great sense of the community.

What is Jediism to you?
How did you find the Jedi path and how did you find other jedi?
How much did you have to change or what changed when you started the path? Ex diet, clothing, relationship with animals
How active are you in the Jedi Community?
What does being a Jedi mean to you?
What are the difference practices in the Jedi path?
How has being a Jedi improved your life as a whole?
Do you consider Jediism a religion or more of a philosophy?
Do you practice alone or with a group and why? Is it about community ?
Do you identify with any other religion and how do they view your path?
How do you meditate?
What did others think of your decisions?

You can post your answers here of message them to me. Answer all or one its your preference.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #203099 by
What is Jediism to you?

Jediism or As I prefer "Jedi" is a title of acknowledgment to the community of like minded individuals I prefer to be apart of. It is a place of Community, Knowledge, and Self Discovery.

I was a huge Star Wars fan when I was a young teen, I saw long ago the philisophical and spiritual aspects of the Jedi in fiction to the ideals i prefered in real life. Due to my fandom, my father told me he had found plans for building a real lightsaber. Not believing him...I went on the internet for the first time in my life and googled it. In my search I found jediism.org (A long dead community) where I met many other Jedi that believed in the same things I did.

How much did you have to change or what changed when you started the path? Ex diet, clothing, relationship with animals

No change necessary

I would say that I am very active. :)

It means to live life by the codes and behaviors of Jedi in order to make good choices in service to yourself, your family, your community and others.

There are too many to count. lol Jedi itself doesn't have individual practices....instead, you can apply Jedi into the practices you already do now.

Jedi has been apart of my life for a very long time. It has helped me through most of my growing up Journey and self discovery. From spiritual understanding to social interaction it's been apart of everything and helped me through most of it.

I consider it to be more of a Lifestyle, in that it is just a natural thing you already do, you just chose to put the title to the actions.

I practice alone, and with a group, and as part of the community. Jedi is something you do in all aspects of social and individual communion.

Do you identity with any other religion and how do they view your path?

No...

How do you meditate?

Hot bath...with salts...incense...and a good book :)

Overall accepting :)
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203103 by
What is Jediism to you?
Jediism to me is a way of life, both in thinking and doing.

I remembering seeing it in a video on youtube, and it always stuck in my mind. So I did some research and i found the temple :)

Since I have joined and started to follow the Jedi path, I have lost my obsession with the future and been able to find comfort in now. I have felt more connected and like I have found more of my self.

I like to think I'm fairly active. I make sure to read all wall posts and interact as much as I can, and try to do the same with forums.
To live with the force, and to uphold the Jedi code and creed to the best of your ability, and to strive to live more and more with it each day.

The practices go far and wide, and i doubt there is a limit to its applications.

I have been able to find myself, and serenity.

Both. I practice at a religion, and think with it as a philosophy. But if I had to choose only one, it would be religion.

Offline, I pursue it alone. But online, i interact with this community. It in many aspect is community.

I do not identify with any other religion

How do you meditate?
By crossing my legs and repeating the Jedi code, focusing on every letter and sound within it, doing so till i can say it without thinking. Also, i love to play music completely with how i am feeling it, letting loose.

My family fully accepted my decision

If you have any other questions, my inbox is open :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203106 by
  1. What is Jediism to you?
    • Jediism, to me, is a way of being, much like a few Eastern traditions. In fact, it mimics a lot of the same principles of those few Eastern traditions.
  2. How did you find the Jedi path and how did you find other Jedi?
    • I overheard a guy, while I was in South Korea, talk about his being a Jedi, which struck me as odd. It wasn't until a few years later that I followed my curiosity to find out if it was a real thing, to which I was pleasantly surprised that it was.
  3. How much did you have to change or what changed when you started the path? Ex diet, clothing, relationship with animals...
    • My way of looking at things changed, quite a lot. Instead of taking things at face value, I began digging deeper into the meanings of things (e.g. gestures, body language, figures of speech, various perspectives on various subjects, etc.). The more I studied here, the more talkative I became when it pertained to philosophy, religion, and life, in general.
  4. How active are you in the Jedi Community?
    • Not nearly as much as I'd like to be, but I know that my activity will always be enough.
  5. What does being a Jedi mean to you?
    • Being a Jedi, for me, means being unafraid of being myself, even when it's taboo. It's recognizing the strengths and weaknesses of both myself and others and not being overly attached to things as they are because things will always change. It means withholding judgment about things until I get as much of the bigger picture as I can get into my mind so as to not be too hasty (things aren't always as they seem).
  6. What are the difference practices in the Jedi path?
    • Practices vary from Jedi to Jedi. There is no true path, though one's path should at least follow the Doctrine. Everything else is to each their own.
  7. How has being a Jedi improved your life as a whole?
    • It's slowed me down a bit, I think (in a good way). I'm not nearly as quick to argue as I used to be because I try to reason things out a little bit more in my head. I'm more critical of my own thoughts.
  8. Do you consider Jediism a religion or more of a philosophy?
    • It's both, but I view it as more of a philosophy than a religion.
  9. Do you practice alone or with a group and why? Is it about community ?
    • I practice alone, but I welcome the chance to meet other Jedi in person, should they be close enough for me to do so.
  10. Do you identify with any other religion and how do they view your path?
    • I used to tell people that "I once was a Catholic, but then I learned," but I feel that it may be a little too harsh on those who may be practicing Catholics. Either way, I've been through a few other religions before I discovered Jediism. I rather like this one and don't plan to move away from it.
  11. How do you meditate?
    • A few ways. My favorites are being present in the moment while doing dishes, watching the kids play, or while listening to my wife talk (she can really talk a lot, too).
  12. What did others think of your decisions?
    • My wife thinks it's a cult, which is technically correct, but I know that she means it in the more modern connotation, rather than the literal definition. She pretty much thinks anything but her own religion is correct, so I just leave that subject alone, when talking with her. Other than that, I don't really go around advertising it, but I wouldn't deny it, if asked.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #203108 by
How many questions! Wow!

What is Jediism to you?
Jediism is a path, like so many others

I was tired of religions that were in my power. I thought "there could be a way as well as the Jedi from Star Wars." After that comes the Google XD

How much did you have to change or what changed When You started the path? Ex diet, clothing, relationship with animals
Jediism saved my life and my marriage, it has operated many behavioral changes in me and have some progress is thanks to its lessons. Yet the change comes from what you learn and not the way that track, there are many ways to learn the same thing.

I think I am active, I participate as I can.

Be Jedi means being connected to strength, or you can give any name you like, as well as Lao-Tse said, the Tao; so one is all and all is one.

What are the difference in practices the Jedi path?
It depends what you are comparing to me what was most shocking is the absence of sin, but surely there are many points. I think the best of Jediism is that we have many members and each with their beliefs and traditions, yet we are brothers, and we are always together in cooperation and love.

The Jediism gave me a very clear view of life, I now realize my errros and I feel much more able to make changes when necessary. Hard to say, because the changes do not stop, they continue forever.

Do you handsome Jediism the religion or more of a philosophy?
Some differ on this issue, I call path; but feel the urge to call as you want. I think for each of the jediism fits one way.

Do you practice alone or with a group and why? Is it about community?
A little of both, but it's easier for me to work alone anymore, because my English is bad, then it causes a bit of trouble for me.

Do you identify with any religion other and how do they view your path?
Like Buddhism and witchcraft. Both complementation my training and help me a lot, otherwise been a Christian for twenty years and it also helps me to supplement my training. Basically you take what is good and teaches you something.

How do you meditate?
Krishnamurti says that meditating is meditating, and then it gives a very thorough explanation I could not explain in a post. What we have out there are techniques on how to achieve this result; I learned to meditate with the monks of the temple Bushujin in the neighborhood of Liberdade in São Paulo, Brazil. After I learned the pagan style of meditation, but the result and the focus is always the same.

What did others think of your Decisions?
When I say that I am Jedi people do not take seriously, but time makes them change their minds.

More
8 years 7 months ago #203111 by Whyte Horse
The path chose me... I'm here because I like it and it makes me happy. B)

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

More
8 years 7 months ago #203113 by Adder
What is Jediism to you?

The term with the 'ism' for me sits among others labels such that Jediism is the actual practise (focus) of being a real Jedi, which represents my 'path' behind me that together with my 'spirit' (fruition of practise), forges my 'way' forward.

These labels serve as personal contexts, and are not required to be different or shared from/with anything anyone else does - its more about ones inner commitment around outer action - and so any concept of identity would be the result of that, not the other way around. Jediism is then just the commitment to living a Jedi path in whatever circumstance one finds oneself.

This question of course leads to your other question of 'What does being a Jedi mean to you?'.

I saw the first (IV) movie when very young, in those days it was a huge deal and for a young kid it left a big imprimt. These days there are massive movies every few months, but not back then. It's saturation meant getting fully immersed in depth and together with familial influences shaped a path akin to the Jedi. I didn't go looking for other Jedi or call myself Jedi, I just 'was'... until recently, and that was by accident in referral from a Wiccan site!

Doing it my whole life so not much change in most areas. Basically an increase in the level and nature of focus areas to redress imbalances in my life to allow a way to avoid stagnation and continue growth and outreach.

Have had membership in a few different groups, to different extents... but mostly only Temple of the Jedi Order these days, and the local Jedi facebook group.

Being the best you can be, and evolving oneself in all areas of mental, physical and social domains. It's a terribly short sentence LOL, but with vast scope to all parts of life and living!!

That application can tend to pronounce some things over others within different circumstances... strength where weak, following when led, leading when lost, open when empty, closed when full etc so external manifestation of my Jedi path depends on.... lets call if the Force! All things, or at least within the realm of perception at any one time. Balance, growth, harmony, serenity, understanding, efficiency are just some examples of the influence a Jedi might hope to exert through their participation not so much as a goal, but as a result. That's how I approach it.

So its the active focus on it, to increase progress in that pursuit to the nth degree (knowledge), and support others (wisdom) who want to do the same.

NB: Underlined words relate to doctrinal Tenets here.

An experential path that works with anything else (present or past) and anything I can create, blended with the scientific pursuit of the nature of things, to leverage the most likely course for best outcomes. Therefore it is inherently individual in nature, but it is not restricted by a limited set of practise and therefore can allow the full engagement with inner pratices, outer interactions and experimental applications.

Addressed weak areas I'd been avoiding, and through re-balancing myself has allowed an improvement in all areas of my life. Some slower then others, some too fast, but its in the application of oneself that enlivens the old saying you don't achieve anything if dont aim for something.

It can (should!?) incorporate both elements, but it depends how you define religion - as Jediism is not a dogmatic or a cult. I'd say that I am religious in the application of my Jedi philosophy!

The inner work is alone, the outer work has to be with others. It has to incorporate community IMO. I think social health is a part of mental health, even if it is one person (ie a partner).

Do you identity with any other religion and how do they view your path?

Not really, I am a practicing Buddhist and have elements of various other religions/spiritualistic/philosophies.... they do not interact with other religions (beyond my own personal activity).

How do you meditate?

Mostly variations of Buddhist/Vedic practises with modern twists and turns. Started young with sports visualization for sailing, moved to Zen Buddhism in late teens, then lucid dreaming and Tibetan Buddhist practises (which vary) contrasted against my interest in Western and Eastern medicine. It's a custom blend of practises which I'm trying to integrate energy awareness into math/physics while incorporating that human psychological landscape. This then sort of translates across into funny things for me, like neuroscience, programming robotics and machine awareness etc.

Since I don't run around with robes and lightsaber or anything its perfectly fine with everyone I've told. Partner took it lightly/humorously at the beginning, but she understands its a synergy with my Buddhist immersion (and other spiritual practises) which she also shares to some extent.

To answer the thread title though, it just came to be, and remains so because it most completely works and has the capacity to transform enough so that it might very well continue to work indefinitely.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204838 by
Thank you guys so much for your feedback

I am posting my finding and designs on Tumblr

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/jediismaesthetics

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 6 months ago #204840 by
I should also introduce myself

My name is Destini Lynch. I am a Graphic Design student at California College of the Arts in San Francisco California. Currently, I have chosen Jediism to study in order to graphically embody the spirit of Jediism or The Jedi Path for my Level three class. I want to absorb as much of the culture in order to accurately depict Jediism in my work

More
8 years 6 months ago #204851 by TheDude
What is Jediism to you?
Belief in the Force and all that comes with it.

Hm... Google!

Started meditating more and reading more often.

I post on here and try to talk with members of the community often, especially while bouncing ideas. But I haven't gone to any gatherings or anything.

Belief in the Force and all that comes with it.

Some people care about the fiction, some don't. Some try to emulate the fiction, some don't.

I am more at peace now. I meditate more often. And my conflict resolution has gotten better.

The two are inseparable in my opinion.

Alone and sometimes here at TOTJO. Community can help, but isn't necessary to follow the path.

Dudeism. But Jediism allows for many things. I'm generally a bit of a mystic as well.

How do you meditate?
Many ways. Either zazen or being involved in things. Drum beats can help, and I do a lot of vision-based meditation. Sometimes water helps. I generally either focus on being a blank slate or focus on taking in as much as possible... or vision-based stuff.

My decisions are my own and I don't tell others unless they ask. People generally don't ask.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi