• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #158169 by
The Three Tenets was created by
• Focus
• Knowledge
• Wisdom

When used correctly, the Jedi Tenets allow us to better ourselves and overcome any obstacle. They help us improve the world around us and fulfil our purpose in life as a Jedi.

Wisdom is the sound application of accrued knowledge and experience through patient, good judgment. Knowledge can be acquired by focusing on the task at hand. Focus is the art of pruning the irrelevant and pouring the best of your mind into what you are doing.

''When used correctly'', How to use the three Tenets correctly? If this eventually comes to "pouring the best of your mind;'' Than I have the second question, what is the best of my mind?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #158171 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic The Three Tenets
I wrote this when I was doing my IP... probably will say about the same as I still think now, it might help.

Warning: Spoiler!

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 6 months ago #158173 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic The Three Tenets
A sermon from a few weeks ago :

http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/sermons/2108-the-essence-of-wisdom

:)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #158181 by
Replied by on topic The Three Tenets
So the Three tenets form a circle of some influence that affect the other parts of the circle.. Without one the others would not exist?
Thanks for sharing the lesson with me Edan <3

Secondly: to Benjamin-Alexandre about '' The essence of wisdom ''

Benjamin-Alexandre : ,,Please keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about it. As it were, it is directly from the heart of foolishness that I write a Sermon on Wisdom … ''

I belief that foolishness is the greatest form of wisdom you can ever find. And knowing nothing is still something ;)

More
9 years 6 months ago #158184 by Reacher
Replied by Reacher on topic The Three Tenets
I am only an apprentice, but...

Those are wonderful questions, Aqua. Worth exploring.

I could write for quite a while on what I see as 'correct use'. I might give examples...then counter-examples to contradict and caveat...but I'm not sure that would be of much use to you. My experiences do and will differ greatly from yours, and that will change the meaning of the word 'correct' for you. As it should be.

Any language you can name has its limitations. Language is not only how we describe the world around us - it is how we see the world. In the west we fall in love with the precision of the constructs created by our languages because they allow us to simplify, define, and ultimately understand the world better. (Wow, that's a mouthful. Sorry.) But often as not we fall victim to these constructs and limit ourselves by them.

I bring this up because, yes, words mean things - but try not to get too wrapped up in them. Words like 'correct', 'focus', and 'wisdom' are really subjective and can create a lot of turmoil if we try too hard to limit and define them. I say all that, but again this is absolutely worth exploring and you seem like the type of person who will do it in the right way. Friends and colleagues are wonderful sounding boards, but ultimately we provide our own best answers. Best of luck, and if you need a sounding board, I'm here.

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Edan,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #158191 by

Reacher wrote: I am only an apprentice, but...

Those are wonderful questions, Aqua. Worth exploring.

I could write for quite a while on what I see as 'correct use'. I might give examples...then counter-examples to contradict and caveat...but I'm not sure that would be of much use to you. My experiences do and will differ greatly from yours, and that will change the meaning of the word 'correct' for you. As it should be.

Any language you can name has its limitations. Language is not only how we describe the world around us - it is how we see the world. In the west we fall in love with the precision of the constructs created by our languages because they allow us to simplify, define, and ultimately understand the world better. (Wow, that's a mouthful. Sorry.) But often as not we fall victim to these constructs and limit ourselves by them.

I bring this up because, yes, words mean things - but try not to get too wrapped up in them. Words like 'correct', 'focus', and 'wisdom' are really subjective and can create a lot of turmoil if we try too hard to limit and define them. I say all that, but again this is absolutely worth exploring and you seem like the type of person who will do it in the right way. Friends and colleagues are wonderful sounding boards, but ultimately we provide our own best answers. Best of luck, and if you need a sounding board, I'm here.

''Ultimately we provide our own best answers'' A phrase that answers multiple live questions.. Beautiful way of speaking, the post of you gives it some kind of double meaning. I think that you have figured it yourself through, I like to talk with phrases that gives multiple results.
''Only an apprentice'' Every master starts as an apprentice, and becomes his own apprentice. Please, do not feel that you are less, ''it are only words'', and that is an translation of one of your own phrases ;) Also, I am happy you like the question. :)

Worth exploring, and worth to try understanding in our own way..

''Ultimately we provide our own best answers'' A phrase that answers multiple live questions.. Beautiful, how you speak about language as well:,,Language is not only how we describe the world around us - it is how we see the world'' Here I found a double meaning, a second message.

We describe the world around us | but we can not describe color.. only compare with something else.
it is how we see the world | We see the world, but we can not describe it, we describe the world in a way we can not see. That gives my that mythological seeing and the we describe it different than we see it.. I guess I think to much about all those questions. :laugh:

Thanks for your sharing your way of seeing this, it gives me a better picture of my own look.

More
9 years 6 months ago #158197 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic The Three Tenets

Aqua wrote: I belief [sic] that foolishness is the greatest form of wisdom you can ever find.

Oxford Dictionaries wrote: foolish

adjective
Lacking good sense or judgement; unwise:

:silly:

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Kit

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #158201 by

Gisteron wrote:

Aqua wrote: I belief [sic] that foolishness is the greatest form of wisdom you can ever find.

Oxford Dictionaries wrote: foolish

adjective
Lacking good sense or judgement; unwise:

:silly:

Now, I give you this question, be prepared because this will be the long version.

Lacking good sense of judgement.. What is good, how do you translate good, more important how do you translate a sense? How do you know jour judgement is thoughtful? What makes it unwise to be a fool

Wisdom could be transferred as the appropriate action under all conditions of live, knowing there are many ways to explain, explain wisdom for example. Now what is an appropriate action?
Lets say that the appropriate action of this post is If I put all the questions in one question:

What is a thoughtful judgement that makes an unwise to considered a fool under all appropriate conditions of lives action?

I could say: how to separate a wise man from a fool without knowledge? How to understand the knowledge without wisdom?

I could say: A fool that knows that he is a fool, is more wise than a fool who thinks he is wise
- Siddhartha Gautama ca. 450 vC. - ca .370 vC

Does this mean a fool can not be a wise individual? And if I ask how do we learn without making an foolish mistake, could you answer that? A fool is not expected to ''know better'' or to ''know'' anything, because of this, the fool has often been given great freedom in many ways. Freedom of thinking is the first stap of self awareness if you ask me.. self awareness is one way to discover wisdom in yourself.

Believe whatever you wish to believe, this is just one path, one question :side:

Lacking good sense of judgement.. unwise.. I wonder who wrote that part of the book ^^

~Bart
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #158212 by

A fool that knows that he is a fool, is more wise than a fool who thinks he is wise
- Siddhartha Gautama ca. 450 vC. - ca .370 vC

"Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"

Couldn't help it. B)

More
9 years 6 months ago #158258 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic The Three Tenets
My point was not to define what is foolish or wise on a practical level. I could try if I needed to, but that wasn't the case I was making.
You said that (you believed that) foolishness is the greatest form of wisdom. I just pointed out that whatever foolishness and wisdom end up being defined as ultimately, they are already contradictory, at least according to one reasonably respected dictionary. I also looked it up at others and in order to make that case there I'd have to quote several entries rather than one, but it would end up the same.

Now, of course it doesn't say that foolishness and wisdom are mutually exclusive. One can be both at different times or with different matters, just like a zebra is both black and white depending which isolated spot you examine, and to an alien race that knows only that the zebra is striped, I wouldn't have to define what I mean by black and white individually. The point is, that a zebra isn't both black and white in the same spot. Its blackness isn't a form of its whiteness, much less the greatest form thereof. In the same way foolishness is not a form of wisdom, though both may be represented in any one individual.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi