Training?

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #136660 by Alethea Thompson
Training? was created by Alethea Thompson
I'm not confused, but all things considered I think this probably needs to be discussed for future members, that way there is no confusion, and you have a thread you can refer people to if they are left with questions :) :

Article 28, section “Teaching”
While we appreciate the knowledge that other members of the Temple have we, unfortunately, cannot allow those members to join our Temple with the intention of teaching their own material.

We like to get to know people before we allow them to start offering any sort of training to other members of the site so we would ask that you reach the rank of Knight before you offer your teaching services. We like to think of it as you getting to know the sort of people and the sort of place you will be teaching in before you begin.

If you feel able to offer any sort of training or teaching or service for us then please contact, either your current Training Master or, a Councillor.

Article 31
In the immortal words of our founder “Membership is a privilege not a right” or in the not so immortal words of grump Kana Seiko Haruki: 'If you don't like the way we do things here - you don't have to stay'

Some people train at other orders- Opie MacLeod and I are two examples of people that teach at another site (two separate orders, mind you). Neither one of us specifically come here to attract new students, we simply enjoy learning and interacting with other Jedi. That said, some of our own students in the past have been known to come here to train as well as receive training at our own orders. Is it a problem for a student to train both here and at another order simultaneously?

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Alethea Thompson.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 2 months ago #136664 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Training?

Alethea Thompson wrote: Some people train at other orders- Opie MacLeod and I are two examples of people that teach at another site (two separate orders, mind you). Neither one of us specifically come here to attract new students, we simply enjoy learning and interacting with other Jedi. That said, some of our own students in the past have been known to come here to train as well as receive training at our own orders. Is it a problem for a student to train both here and at another order simultaneously?

There are a number of people who do both. Besides, why would we limit people expanding their knowledge and education. I doubt the temple is so precious about what it has to offer.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
10 years 2 months ago #136665 by MCSH
Replied by MCSH on topic Training?
Many do that... you've saw me in your site (well at least back when I had time).. why should it be a problem?

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 2 months ago #136675 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Training?

Alethea Thompson wrote: Is it a problem for a student to train both here and at another order simultaneously?

No, of course not, lol...

But, I personally have an issue with those wanting to teach here, and at other sites as well...

Brenna wrote: There are a number of people who do both. Besides, why would we limit people expanding their knowledge and education. I doubt the temple is so precious about what it has to offer.

We have had people 'steal' our material, and yet we are still who we are...

Yet, we offer our basic IP stuff for any who want to sign up for the site, no commitment necessary... lol... I personally think those that would do that (borrow our material, to be kind, lol), are only doing so for the 'title', lol....

Its not just the training that attracts people, it is who we are becoming as a site/personality...

Meaning our membership and guests....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
10 years 2 months ago #136677 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Training?

Alethea Thompson wrote: Is it a problem for a student to train both here and at another order simultaneously?

As I understand it, it's not a problem unless the training from the other order is done here. That includes picking up new students here, teaching them through TOTJO channels, etc.

More
10 years 2 months ago #136679 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Training?
Temple of the Jedi Order has a doctrine. The things we teach are based on that doctrine.

Why would I go to a basket weaving school if I wanted to learn blacksmithing? Sharing information is fine. Hanging out because you like the people is fine. Being a teacher somewhere else and coming here to participate in things is fine.

Let me refer to what is on the Home Page of the site.

We are not a community of Star Wars roleplayers, but a church of a genuine religion, Jediism. The Jedi at this site are not the same as those portrayed within the Star Wars franchise. Star Wars Jedi are fictional characters that exist within a literary and cinematic universe.

The Jedi discussed within this website refer to real people within this world that live or lived their lives according to the principles of Jediism, the real Jedi religion. Jedi followers, ministers and leaders embrace Jediism as a real living, breathing religion and sincerely believe in its teachings. Jediism does not base its focus on myth and fiction but on the real life issues and philosophies that are at the source of myth.

We believe in Peace, Justice, Love, Learning and Benevolence: It is unlikely that the Jedi way conflicts with other beliefs and traditions.

A real Jedi takes a true oath to follow our teachings (Doctrine). Nonetheless all are welcome to register and participate as a guest.

We have rules in place to guide us in our interactions and with what is taught here. Others can have whatever belief system they want and that is fine. But TotJO doctrine is taught here.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Amaya

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136964 by
Replied by on topic Training?

Alethea Thompson wrote:

Article 28, section “Teaching”
While we appreciate the knowledge that other members of the Temple have we, unfortunately, cannot allow those members to join our Temple with the intention of teaching their own material.

Some people train at other orders- Opie MacLeod and I are two examples of people that teach at another site (two separate orders, mind you). Neither one of us specifically come here to attract new students, we simply enjoy learning and interacting with other Jedi. That said, some of our own students in the past have been known to come here to train as well as receive training at our own orders. Is it a problem for a student to train both here and at another order simultaneously?

I'm wondering a little how you interpreted in the way that you did (or were you just asking the question)?

I only say that because it's actually pretty clear... It doesn't mention whether or not you learn at other sites, it only says that you can't misuse the legitimacy of our organisation to steal members or offer your own non-Temple training.

Why the focus on Jedi in your query about members training elsewhere? The people here train at lots of different places other than TotJO I would imagine - martial arts classes, conferences, online degree courses, self help groups etc...

How could we ever enforce them not training anywhere else? ;)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi

Notice: SessionHandler::gc(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/lib/php/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/libraries/vendor/joomla/session/src/Storage/NativeStorage.php on line 135