Novices of the world, unite!

More
10 years 3 months ago #132816 by steamboat28

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

This thread is for folks who want place to discuss the IP (and is in no way intended to stamp on the toes of the other threads for questions thereof), or generally get to know other Novices and Initiates so we don't quite feel so alone while we wade through lots of new ideas on our way to enlightenment.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rosalyn J, Llama Su, and 3 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #132824 by
Replied by on topic Novices of the world, unite!
A Skype room is another possibility. Most of the active forum members are on Skype eventually so that could ease the transition perhaps?

Anyway, while I'm here: good idea, I'm all for more support to those on the IP. I had some valuable advice while completing mine and I'd be very happy to pay it forward while it's still fresh.

More
10 years 3 months ago #132825 by steamboat28

tzb wrote: A Skype room is another possibility. Most of the active forum members are on Skype eventually so that could ease the transition perhaps?

I'm not personally a fan of Skype for many reasons, but if it's common enough among members here, it might not be a bad starting place.

Anyway, while I'm here: good idea, I'm all for more support to those on the IP. I had some valuable advice while completing mine and I'd be very happy to pay it forward while it's still fresh.

Woohoo!

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 3 months ago #132830 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Novices of the world, unite!
A group is being discussed...

But, some are failing to see a need at this time...

If thread topics were getting derailed, then maybe, but I don't recall any exceptva few Alex brought up, and I think they are in the clergy side...

Start a threat on "who/what is a hero" in the jediism forum, lets see how it goes...

Gotta start somewhere....:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #132909 by
Yo - my super-slow laptop is still downloading the first videos for me to watch, but I struggle with learning disabilities (for lack of a better term - I really think that it's not me and many others who have a disability but the public education system that is terribly flawed) and always like to have peers with whom I can discuss the material, so I'd appreciate some way to communicate with other novices.

More
10 years 3 months ago #132911 by steamboat28
Have you tried the audio versions, yet? I thought we had them posted somewhere--they're smaller, but I prefer the video. When I started my internet connection was crappy, so I wound up getting the audio first while I was waiting for the video to finish downloading, but you may not have the time/hdd space/inclination to do so.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #132931 by
If you need to discuss the materials I can provide some insight. I returned from a rather long absence and I need to catch up with everything.

More
10 years 3 months ago #132932 by Proteus
http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/General-Discussions/104505-ip-discussion-area

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
10 years 2 months ago #133816 by Lykeios Little Raven
Just casting a line here ;)

Any training master's willing to take a "novice" apprentice?

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #133821 by
Since we are on the subject of the IP, I’d like to take a moment to offer some constructive criticisms of the IP. I know most of you don’t like criticism, but I really think this will be helpful even if it’s ignored you’d at least know I’m not the only person who feels this way.

1. There is no system of feedback either way. Without posting on the forum and going through the possibility of succumbing to group think there is no way to be sure the messages on the IP are being received and interrupted usefully. There is no encouragement about giving feedback to the council about how much information was gleamed through the IP or what areas can be improved. I’m sure people will say you can contact me anytime ,but I have yet to see anyone actively taking the time to go out and question people going through the IP which would give people the sense that their part of the temple and that people care about their progress. (Just a note I did get some people asking me ,but none of them were knights or above).
2. The IP has no stated mission statement or authority. Most classes or learning programs state what general knowledge should learn by the end. There is no ethos Except for Campbell and Watts there is no part of the IP that states why this exercises can and should be useful.
3. The field is horrible and needs to be replaced and could easily be replaced with something much more scientifically accurate. This would help with not turning off new members that read it think our temple has no idea what they’re talking about from a scientific point of view.
4. Several of the lessons seems to have little to no point like exercise 6 which just has you define 3 words and then they never come up again.
5. The IP is disorganized with parts being extremely dense and well done and other parts being oddly simple. Although this may be cosmetic it’s the first thing people really see and the first chance at a good impression of professionalism. A chance to show that this is a serious religion that can help and do great things and not just a bunch of bloggers who are also star wars fans.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi