Questions About Jediism

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #117768 by
Questions About Jediism was created by
Someone who emailed us on the prteam email has asked that at least seven people answer these questions:

1. Do you think that the traits of Jediism is a religion or philosophy?

2. Would you describe yourself as a Jedi?

3. What does it mean to believe in the Force?

4. What happens when we die?

5. Are you a fan of the Star Wars films and books?

6. What is your attitude towards fan culture around Star Wars?

7. Is Star Wars films important for Jediism as a religion?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #117770 by
Replied by on topic Questions About Jediism
they never said which 7 lol. So here I go:

1. Depends on what you take from what's provided. If you're intending to use it on a philosophical path then it can work and if you're planning a religious path... I guess XD. I'm kidding it can work a religion too.

2. Nope, Sith.... what?

3. For me? It means I am more attuned with the energy of the universe, whether that be some spiritual metaphysical energy or the energy of society and life itself.

4. I'll get back to you on that after I die.

5. Films? yes ( original because I'm a fancy prick like that) . Books?... I read a blurb once...

6. Never really got into the fan culture. However I think that the extremities of the fans have been exxagerated to almost encompass the term "Star Wars Fan".

7. That would depend on the people who take Jediism as a religion and that again would depend on each individual.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #117771 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Questions About Jediism

I believe that, much like Buddhism, it is a religion based around a philosophy. I believe that it's possible to take the philosophy and leave the religion, but not to take the religion and leave behind the philosophy.

Yes. I would classify myself as a philosophical Jedi, for the most part.

To me, it means acknowledging that there is an essence of something greater in scope than ourselves. That we are all connected, bound together by something that is us and yet is not us. It means to be aware of that connection, and to give respect to others based upon it.

I guess we'll find out, won't we?

I am, for the most part. I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy, and I enjoyed the prequels on a storytelling scale, even if I wasn't as excited about them as others were. I haven't read many of the books, but the games have all been good, too.

They're pretty devoted, really geeky, and mostly alright.

To the extent that the films showcased the foundational philosophies that religious Jedi currently adhere to, yes. There has been a great deal of theological extrapolation outside of the films, however, so "real-world" Jedi are and (simultaneously) are not anything like their film counterparts. I believe that religious Jedi should view the films at least once to understand the foundation from which this religion grew.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by steamboat28. Reason: formatting
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
10 years 7 months ago #117772 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Questions About Jediism

Both and neither.
It is a realization.

Yes and no.

It means to accept what is, let go of what is, and learn to use the beneficial aspects of what is to work for you in that state of acceptance.

The same thing that happens to a star.

Sure. However, the relevance to Jediism is anything but specific to me.

Good for you, as long as you do not hang yourself up on the metaphors themselves.

No.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #117773 by Alexandre Orion

Both. There are aspects of religion insomuch as it is a point of encounter for people seeking spiritual unity. Unity here means only a sense of belonging - to not feel spiritually isolated. The Jedi religion, or as far as it is practised in the TotJO, does not require that "unity" come at the price of spiritual or cognitive liberty ; only that respect for individual interpretations of our doctrines be respected.

Jediïsm draws from many philosophical schools. It is very much based on Taoism/Zen Buddhism - but more on the abstraction of "common sense" concepts that dominate daily life. Western philosophical traditions enter into the Jediïst philosophy as well : empiricism, metaphysics, epistemology as well as scepticism (methodical doubt).

Most certainly.

Much as in believing that there is an underlying yet all inclusive reality which cannot be known rationally. One can perceive it, but not by the immediate and interpreted stimulation of the physical senses, more by receptivity when the mind is calmed and thus not distracted by the automatic symbolism (names) which conduct our lives.

We'll find out then ...

I enjoyed the films.

It is the same as my attitude about fan culture around anything. If it serves as someone's focus of interest for leisure, then why not ? On the other hand, if it is one's way of living vicariously through pre-packaged fantasy, that may indicate deeper problems.

Only in that it is a classic example of modern myth, or a modern re-telling of classical myth ; the hero's adventure for modern audiences. There are many contemporary films which do that (cf. Christopher Vogler). Jediïsm is not dependent on the Star Wars saga for any aspect of its theory or practice. In all honesty, Star Wars was dependent on Jediïsm as our principles have been in practice in diverse forms for millennia ...

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Alexandre Orion.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 7 months ago #117780 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Questions About Jediism

A religion. To me, being religious means a lot more than being philosophical. Religion is beyond wonder: It is certainty. To me, the Force isn't a theory, it's a certainty. Philosophy is an exploration of the possibilities. While Jediism is philosophical, it is not exclusively philosophical. Also Jediism has the "organized religion" aspect, even if compared to other religions, it is in its infancy.

Yes.

It means to be able to see beyond the physical. To appreciate the connections between all things, to see everything as a chaotic-looking yet harmonious ONE.

When we die, we become one with the Force. Our ego (what we humans commonly call life) is what makes people believe we are separate from the Force. When we die, our ego ceases to be, and everything that we were becomes once again an integral part of the Force and its never ending cycles.

No. I'm not a fan. There are things I like about Star Wars. My favourite Star Wars character is "Kreia" from a VideoGame. However I find the characters in the movies under-developed and the teddy bears/jar-jar/other creatures rather annoying.

I don't really care about it. I'm not a roleplayer or geek so I don't have the books, robes, a lightsaber and I don't go to conventions. But I don't mind people who do. They spend their time loving a movie/book/game franchise. Many people seem to spend their free time doing far worse things than that.
I am not keen however on Jediism being linked with Star Wars fandom (as strange as this may sound).

Not at all. The films do not give us much "food" when it comes to religion, only a very basic idea (and our name). Although Jediism is still recent, it has already outgrown what is found in star wars. Our doctrine uses only 1 thing from star Wars: The Jedi code... And that code comes from games, not from the movies. Besides this,our beliefs and training programmes do not involve material from the Star Wars universe.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Br. John, Alexandre Orion

More
10 years 7 months ago #117787 by Archon
Replied by Archon on topic Questions About Jediism

Jediism, to me, is both. Much of the philosophical study within the Temple of the Jedi Order (TOTJO) is designed not to teach a particular viewpoint of doctrine but to encourage each member to find their own. I spent five months looking inward at what I really want to be. I'm still discovering interesting parts of my mentality that I was unaware of and will likely keep finding more until I die. The religious aspect of TOTJO's beliefs are found in my belief of the Force, explained in question 3.

Yes. I do often.

The Force is a word. What the word means to each of us is different. Some believe that the Force is an extension of divine energy, like God, Yahweh, Allah, or other deities. Others believe it is a field of energy that flows through us all. My interpretation is that the Force is created by everything and is the energy of interconnectedness. Through the Force we are connected like cells in the human body. For me, the Force whispers to me. I can still my mind and listen or choose to do something different.

I am not sure. I have not been dead yet. :)

5. Are you a fan of the Star Wars films and books? I enjoyed the films from a cinematic point of view, appreciated a lot of the futuristic mechanical advantages they enjoy, like the spacecraft, replacement limbs, medical advances, and the cultural differences between truly different races (not like we humans do based on race, ancestry, gender, etc).

I am indifferent to the fan culture, though there is little SW fan culture where I am from. I haven't had a problem with the few I have met.

No. I believe that a person that has not seen the films could join with ease. They would have no preconceived notions to break, allowing them to study without the influence of the films.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #117798 by
Jediism is both religion and philosophy. Their are those of us who have Jediism as our sole religion and their are others who belong to other religions and see Jediism as a philosophical "add on" to another religion.

Without hesitation.

Belief in the Force is belief in a unifying energy in all things. One is all and all is one, the Force is the all and I am the one. For us Jedi we choose to call it the Force with an understanding that it can go by many names. Believing in the Force is compatible with any other religion and has much to do with the inner self.

Our energy continues to flow throughout the Force to be put to some other use. The energy within our bodies has been used countless times before we used it and will be used again infinitely after our deaths.

Yes. I quite enjoy the movies and the development of the characters in them.

I'm fairly unaffected by it and have little opinion of it. I've seen the movies but that is about it.

The Star Wars films only serve two purposes in Jediism; to give a name to our beliefs, and to serve as another myth to study. The religion is not based on Star Wars and does not have ties to the cinematic or literary universe of Star Wars.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #117804 by

A philosophy. Religion denotes some sort of worship outside (or in conjunction with) faith. I have faith that my car will start, but I don't worship it - thus it's not a religion. Note that I do not believe that there is anything wrong with it being a philosophy.

Only insomuch as that such a title could be ascribed to an individual who lives a certain lifestyle adhering to those things that it is said a Jedi should adhere to.

That would depend entirely upon how one defines the Force. That said, to believe in it is simply to endorse a line of thought that holds true to your definition.

That would depend on your point of view. Jedi? Christian? Muslim? Jew? You will find different answers for each and even different answers among the same...

Yes.

It's a good thing to have such a dedicated fan-base. Issues arise when genre's are gaped or bridged to create a Star Wars-esque hybrid, but normally this is not an issue.

Yes, very much so.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #117808 by
i liked johnson cuz he put almost verbatim what i would have put, except i would have spelled 'gapped' correctly.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi