Clergy Etiquette

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2630 by
Replied by on topic Re:Clergy Etiquette
Bylar wrote:

what i have found is that i am very uncomfortable being addressed as \"Rev.\" or \"Minister\", not so much for the connotations associated with them, but it just feels very different lol. in fact the first and only marriage liscence i signed, i completely forgot to add the Minister or Reverand part and just signed my name.....that won't have any effect on its legality will it???

It does not matter about not signing with a prefix. It's legal.

Unless it's important for the record or people to know - there's no commandment to use a title.

Br. John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2631 by
Thats cool. Theres a core group of us that are always in the chatroom and to now have to be addressed by something other than what we have called ourselves would only complicate matters. If we were all to gather in one place, perhaps Bylar's physical temple-to-be, then maybe the first address would be the official one and then after that whatever the individual prefers.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #2632 by
Replied by on topic Monsignor (Did You Know?)
Monsignor [rhymes with (on-seen-your) in English], pl. monsignori, is the proper title for a Senior Knight of The Order who is also a member of the clergy. In written English, it is abbreviated Mgr., Msgr. or Mons. The verbal address is “Monsignor Jedi”. Use of the first or last name is based on the familiarity of the parties and the setting.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 10 months ago #3309 by
Hi Rev Bylar

If possible could you send me an email on the ceremony you conducted. I would also like to know the finer points that were involved in this ceremony you conducted.

Love your sis

Bsp KC Avalon Dabak

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7365 by
Generally I would agree. However in the case of counseling sessions, or as familiarity and brotherhood change your relationship, I do not think formal ettiqute is always neccasary, as it can keep boundaries to helping that person as a Jedi brother or sister, or as a counselor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7368 by
the etiquette is a sign of respect to that persons rank thats all, there is no bearer to it. if you say god morning arch bishop dan can i have a word, thats when it is needed the rest of the time you can call me brother when we are talking, or dan. we dont derive of of power here well the light jedi dont.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 6 months ago #7379 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Clergy Etiquette
DAN wrote:

the etiquette is a sign of respect to that persons rank thats all, there is no bearer to it. if you say god morning arch bishop dan can i have a word, thats when it is needed the rest of the time you can call me brother when we are talking, or dan. we dont derive of of power here well the light jedi dont.

...I can`t agree more Br.Dan. Anyone who uses their Titles as power portals are, in my opinion, in the wrong place. We are a Church however and because we live in a society we have to define ourselves so that others can relate to us. All titles (Master, Cardinal, Arch-Bishop, Bishop, Rev.,... ) are sign posts for others to orientate themselves and definitions of the responsability a person has taken. Nothing more and nothing less. No-one has a problem calling the head fireman, chief for example.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7380 by
i'm good with using the title thing out of respect- and if i know what you are, (some i'm not sure) i'm happy to use it but i have to agree with Brother Dan in we don't need the ttiles and it should be used in the case of \"Rev. Ford, good morning may i have a moment of your time?\" type of things.

the other reason is we are all friends here and i personally do consider you all to be an extended family (congrats! you've all been adopted! :) lol) of sorts. if i'm informal it's a higher respect in my book.

MTFBWY

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7382 by
As in the military, ranks are aquired through either time or skill level. Then when someone refers to one another, their rank is usually included with their name as a sign of respect (at least in most cases). I think if you earned that title, then that person should be referred to as such. Of course they're maybe some situations where that formality is not necessary, like in informal gatherings or conversation where its to the individuals discretion.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi