The Liturgical Year 2019/2020

More
4 years 2 months ago #347798 by J. K. Barger
Hello fellow Clerics. I posted this in the Discord channel, but I figured it would be nice to have this posted at the Temple for others to see.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

As part of my family-centered approach, or ministry, been considering the “Sacred/Ritual Year/Cycle”, and what would be an ‘ideal model’ Jedi could use to give it context.

After some thought, I think a novel approach to understanding the “yearly cycle” based on the movement of the Living Force through the seasons would be a good candidate.

If we reconsider the concepts of “Ashla, Bogan, and Bendu”, it is possible to see them not only as aspects of the Force, but as ‘phases’. It is possible to see these phases in a variety of things, like the breath (pranayama), life and death, the movement of the earth around the sun, and even the movement of the seasons.

I’ve drawn this out to see how this would correlate, with each aspect showing its influence through time, with the “brightest” aligned with summer, and the “darkest” aligned with the winter.

Because of my “family-focused” ministry, I have been thinking of an overarching “Jedi context” for the Holidays. While I desire to observe sacred formalities that are Force-centered, I also want to be thoughtful of other parts of our family (we have a diverse family) and remain accommodating to traditional celebrations.

In this model, there are correlations with the Solstices and Equinoxes. Many traditional holidays occur around these four times, and I think that by placing them within the context of a "cycle of the Force", we can shed universal light on the Sacred without leaving anyone out. So long as this sentiment is grounded in the Force, I think it will stand as a uniquely Jedi, or Force-centered, form of observance.

I think this cycle will be key in establishing this, and I invite others to see if this works for them as well. If you have any thoughts, questions, or concerns, place them in this thread.

The Force is with you, always.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheDude, jpadkins

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #347806 by J. K. Barger
For some reason, I cannot upload my drawing. I will try tonight from my computer.

The Force is with you, always.

More
4 years 2 months ago #347812 by Raxicorico
I'm liking the approach you are taking. For me at least, the focus on the solstices and equinoxes mean a lot more than what is essentially renaming mainstream holidays. Brilliant way to incorporate Star Wars lore as well in a way that doesn't seem forced!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, jpadkins

More
4 years 2 months ago #347828 by TheDude
Many religious traditions pay homage to the seasons, the solstices, the equinoxes. I see no reason why Jediism should avoid such traditions.
I always condone celebrating "Life Day" during the Winter!
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger

More
4 years 2 months ago #347830 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic The Liturgical Year 2019/2020
Of course seasons in one hemisphere are reciprocated in the other, so it's a real local experience of a much larger universal movement. That's why I take notice of them, the energy of the Sun impacting so many things at so many levels. Many animals migrate annually which is interesting, and some cultures had summer and winter palaces/temples to punctuate seasons seemingly. I've often thought about finding two places which had long Spring type weather, so I could be always in balance with it, not too hot, not too cold... seemingly giving more focus to those midpoints then the extremes. Either way ritual can connect the point pairs in this cycle, so it might matter less which point but more that it's precisely marked in its two moments in each cycle (the extremities being the most obvious}. I think I've managed to say a lot of nothing so I will zip it and think more on it :side:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: J. K. Barger

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi