• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136435 by
bbc news

About time if you ask me...

Now a question.....

"Establishing belief ceremonies, such as humanist ceremonies as a "third form of marriage", alongside religious and civil events."

Does this mean that Jedi will soon be able to conduct same sex marriage in Scotland... and is it limited to same sex or could me and the missus get hitched by one of you lovely folk on here ??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #136437 by Edan
I haven't read anything further but it does appear that the Marriage and Civil Partnership Bill would allow ceremonies to be held by Jedi, although I have no idea how that would be worked by the Scottish government; I assume a registrar would have to be present. I'm also not quite sure why some people are opposed when they do not have to comply.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Edan.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136457 by

Leandros Von wrote: Does this mean that Jedi will soon be able to conduct same sex marriage in Scotland... and is it limited to same sex or could me and the missus get hitched by one of you lovely folk on here ??

Yes, so far as I can tell. This was brought up last march with Jedi being mentioned.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136510 by
I remember seeing something about it not long after I started here and I noticed you had commented on it.

In saying that though it all becomes entirely pointless to me as the missus has made it 100% clear that "star wars" / "jedi" is NOT going to be a part of our wedding hahaha... oh well it was worth a try, would have been cool to get someone to come and do it, I'd have felt a lot more meaning to a ceremony that had roots in what I believe rather than a civil one of some sort....

but meh.... so long as she is happy that's all that matters lol.

Still go Scotland on the gay marriage... that's pretty awesome.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136511 by
also... I wonder...

If Jedi were to conduct a ceremony here Master Akkarin... would the paperwork be done in the way it is registered with the temple like a church, or would it just be overseen by a Jedi and then made official by a civil servant ??

In my opinion it should be the former, as a church TotJO's record should suffice as legal documentation of marriage in the same way a normal church does.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 months ago #136512 by
Here is some information: http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/114-Announcements/106097-2013-year-end-report#136104 (check the PR section

Leandros Von wrote: also... I wonder...

If Jedi were to conduct a ceremony here Master Akkarin... would the paperwork be done in the way it is registered with the temple like a church, or would it just be overseen by a Jedi and then made official by a civil servant ??

In my opinion it should be the former, as a church TotJO's record should suffice as legal documentation of marriage in the same way a normal church does.

I am not sure on the exact details, but my limited understanding would be that you have to apply under (any) law to be recognised as being able to perform a ceremony and then just follow the normal procedure. I had a quick check on how to register as a priest and I would need to go to a citisens advice bureau because the internet is useless lol.

The Jedi priest would just be a civil servant like any other priest.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi