Cultural CHristianity, doe you thinks its possible?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7668 by
(C) Alternative Christian Ministries Reproduced by Permission (Excerpt from my next book)

Cultural Christianity is the habit of trying to live your life to be liked by all, when you then compromise your values and beliefs to reach that goal.

It is a habit of hypocrisy, and most of all it is living a lie. It’s, sadly, a habit I see Christian teens and adults in the workplace in America taking.

What’s the big deal, you may be asking, are we not supposed to be liked? Are others not supposed to like to see Christ in us?

No, we are not supposed to be liked first of all, and that is a principle that is expounded upon throughout the Bible. Christianity is so revolutionary, if we are living in the light, people who love the darkness will hate us for living in it, just like they hated our Saviour, for bringing it.

By trying to be a Christian and putting a concerted effort towards being liked by people, you are wasting your life away, and will eventually compromise the values Christ has. It’s much easier for an unbeliever to tear you down, then it is for you to pull them up.

If you find the godless world is hating you, remember it got its start hating me. If you lived on the world's terms, the world would love you as one of its own. But since I picked you to live on God's terms and no longer on the world's terms, the world is going to hate you.
-Jesus John 15:18-19 (MSSG)

Too often I see Christian young people throw away principles for friendship, drugs, sex, or other unwholesome and often times sinful things.

For adult Christians, it is more compromising a principle to look good for your boss, or sometimes even peers.

Throughout the next chapter I will be telling you about what Christ and the Apostles told us about what I have termed Cultural Christianity.

We will explore whether God has called us to be hated and persecuted, whether God calls us to hate our family, and what does this all look like in our life.

Please join me as we make this journey. Throughout this book, I will also expose you to the thinking of Christian role models, it is my goal for you that you grow through the example of Christ, and men who have followed him.

\"Character is always lost when a high ideal is sacrificed on the altar of conformity and popularity.\"
-Charles Spurgeon

What is your opinion, do you thinkm it's possible to live in this mentality and still function as a CHristian who follows Christ Will?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7670 by
I've always liked quotes by Charles Spurgeon. I've got an antique copy of Spurgeon's Lectures to his Students.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 6 months ago #7676 by Jon
St.Francis of Assisi is a man who has never failed to amaze and inspire me by his taking the gospel literally. And by that I do not mean he was a narrow fundamentalist, but that he followed all that Jesus said and did, joyfully, without limit and without any indication of self-importance.

\"Francis! Everything you have loved and desired in the flesh it is your duty to despise and hate, if you wish to know my will. And when you have begun this, all that now seems sweet and lovely to you will become intolerable and bitter, but all that you used to avoid will turn itself to great sweetness and exceeding joy.\"

Many people, both christian and non, realized that this man was actually trying to be Christian. Francis really believed what Jesus said: \"Announce the kingdom! Possess no gold or silver or copper in your purses, no traveling bag, no sandals, no staff\" (Lk 9, 1-3).

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 6 months ago #7677 by Jon
“I am told God lives in me — and yet the reality of darkness and coldness and emptiness is so great that nothing touches my soul. I want God with all the power of my soul — and yet between us there is terrible separation.”
-Mother Teresa

Mother Teresa, a woman I was privedged to know and work with, is without doubt a woman who stands apart in history as a a spiritual heroe who, like everyone else, had moments of doubts and questions about her faith, yet who knew deep in her heart that God existed and was just as real as anything else they knew to be true.

God bless Mother Teresa for her honest and authentic faith, a faith in touch with the world and its culture. May we all share in her legacy and live it.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 6 months ago #7678 by Jon
Abraham Heschel would answer to this:

\"God is of no importance unless He is of supreme importance.\"

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 6 months ago #7680 by Jon
Why is it that we give our occupation when introducing ourselves? Does it gives us a sense of security, does it assure of a place in society and so our worth? Does this not add to the embarassment of those with no occupation?

By measuring our own and other people`s worth by their occupation or title is subtle way of destroying not only ourselves and but also others. It prevents us from appreciating who we in truth are and also others.

\"I have called you by your name, you are mine. You are precious in my eyes and I honour you.\" (Is 43, 1)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7710 by
MY question was more or less, do you think you can live in a aspect like the one I outlined there as Cultural Christianity, and yet still live like CHrist wanted us to?

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
More
16 years 6 months ago #7711 by Jon
Well, when you think of it, your description answers the very question asked. How could comprimising your Christian values be an answer to an authentic Christian life? The people below mentioned (St.Francis, Mother Teresa), Jesus Christ, St.Paul... lived a no comprimise life but lived according to the Laws of the land. They had as a result admirers and critics. But wouldn`t this be the case when a person chooses a social life, there would also be admirers and critics?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 6 months ago #7722 by
Jon wrote:

Well, when you think of it, your description answers the very question asked. How could comprimising your Christian values be an answer to an authentic Christian life? The people below mentioned (St.Francis, Mother Teresa), Jesus Christ, St.Paul... lived a no comprimise life but lived according to the Laws of the land. They had as a result admirers and critics. But wouldn`t this be the case when a person chooses a social life, there would also be admirers and critics?

Most assuredly it is difficult to live life according to Christ without compromise, But this is the path proclaimed by both Christ and his disciples. Will we meet with those who cannot stand us for this? yes, of course, but it's ok. We can live in Love of anyone and everyone without them caring for us back. That is ok. As one of my favorite musicians put it; \"You have to love like Crazy.\" and That's really all that it takes. If you can remember and be secure in your faith then living a life free of compromise is not only easy...but is first nature.

MTFBWY

~Br. Tom
Servant of the Servants of the Force

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi