Forgive and Forget

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 7 months ago #7107 by
Forgive and Forget was created by
Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” Colossians 3:13

When we forgive as God forgives, we recognize that the person is not perfect and will fail us. And we are promising we will not treat the offender in the way that we have a human right to, considering their offense. When the hurt from the offense washes over us and the memory of the hurt fills us with a sense of betrayal and rage, our natural instinct is to get back at the offender. If we have forgiven, we must at that point say, \"Yes, this happened and I was devastated by it. But I have chosen to forgive. Therefore, I CHOOSE to respond in a way that does not hurt the other person - that does not treat them in a way he or she deserves.\"

This kind of forgiveness is not a one time act that magically transforms a shattered heart. When the hurt is deep and life shattering, it takes a lifetime of godly choices to learn how to interact with the forgiven offender.

With a lot of practice in this kind of \"forgetting\", in time, the hurt diminishes. This is not easy in the short term but the alternative is to become a bitter, old man in the long term. Obedience is tough in the short term but bears great fruit in the long term. Someone has called this kind of living “a long obedience in the same direction.\"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
16 years 7 months ago #7138 by Jon
Replied by Jon on topic Re:Forgive and Forget
If someone says to you, \"Don't think of the job\" \"Don't think
of the job\" \"Don't think of the job,\" no matter how
hard you try, you probably can't stop visualizing or thinking
about the job.

The same thing happens when you try to \"forget\" a negative situation
that has an emotional charge to it. No matter how hard you try, you
just can't seem to do it. You think you've forgotten but it's come
back up in other ways.

Forgiving (letting go) is one thing but forgetting is another. Memory can be a useful tool for learning for our cognitive system. An experience is an imprint which forms what we are.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Neaj Pa Bol
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...
More
16 years 7 months ago #7163 by Neaj Pa Bol
Replied by Neaj Pa Bol on topic Re:Forgive and Forget
Oh so how true!! It doesn't take proof either to know this. No matter who long a subject is thought to be forgotten somehwere along the line something sparks that memory back to life whether we wish it or not. Yet there is no answer as to how to stop it from happening but to quickly respond to it and immediately let go of it and place it back int he archives of our brains and move on.... Wish there was away to just take it away....

Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn. Benjamin Franklin

Let the improvement of yourself keep you so busy that you have no time to criticize others. Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Participated in the making of the book, “The Jedi Compass”with 2 articles.

For today I serve so that tomorrow I may serve again. One step, One Vow, One Moment... Too always remember it is not about me... Master Neaj Pa Bol

Faith is daring the soul to go beyond what the eyes can see...

Faith is a journey, not a guilt trip...

Quiet your emotions to find inner peace. Learn from ignorance to foster knowledge.
Enjoy your passions but be immersed in serenity. Understand the chaos to see the harmony.
Life and death is to be one with the Force.

Apprentice's: Master Zanthan Storm, Jaxxy (Master Rachat et Espoir (Bridgette Barker))

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi